British Speedway Forum
tarabanko

"the Truth Behind The Gosford Fiasco"

Sounds horribly familiar to anyone who remembers the end of the Perrin era at Belle Vue. My sympathies to all innocent parties, notably the spectators.

To be fair on that point Steve, I was in the pits that night and the track was not safe and riders from both camps did not want to ride but did agree to give things a go. It was clear that the track was not safe and was called off for good reasons.

Well Bob Dugard certainly didn't think that as he continued to show contempt for the riders decision by continuing to prepare the track after the meeting was called off.

Makes me remember why I enjoy the conference league - very little of this going on and rider safety issues are a little more clear cut.

Not that the CL doesnt have its prima donnas - naming no-one of course (cough!)

Edited by SwineTown

Not trying to play devils advocate or anything but lets reverse the situation for a minute.

Lets say the few that wanted to ride had convinced the "pansies" to ride on a track they weren't comfortable with. Then there was a crash and we get another Ashley Jones incident.

Who would take responsibility for pushing the riders into taking part when they clearly weren't interested?

Who would be the first to moan when insurance for the next meeting was either double what it was or they were unable to get any insurance ?(rising insurance has been an ongoing issue in Oz during recent seasons, or so the promoters there keep telling us)

Who would be the one to tell somebodys wife / parents / kids one of their family had been pressured into riding and were now dead?

I know its a dangerous sport and if you ain't got the balls you should pack up and go home etc etc...........!

But on the other hand its already dangerous enough without taking any extra risks.

If these riders were such pansies, why did they fly halfway round the world to take part in a series which was hardly likely to pay for their airfares/ bikes/ expenses? :blink:

I'm not supporting what the riders did, just looking at it from a different point of view.

I guess I expected a little more consideration to safety since Ashleys death, but some people don't seem too bothered! :rolleyes: or maybe the track was fine and they are just a bunch of pansies.

Well Bob Dugard certainly didn't think that as he continued to show contempt for the riders decision by continuing to prepare the track after the meeting was called off.

No he did not, he was trying to get the sawdust off the track, a thing that blighted Eastbournes home form for the next month or so untill it was relayed before the Swindon match on july 30th.

But then many involved have "been there and got the T-shirt" - they have seen tragedy and seen cop-outs - the former disgraced by the latter maybe?

Edited by SwineTown

I fail to understand either the need or the desirability of putting that onto this forum.  It smacks of an item from one of the more lurid of the British tabloid newspapers or the gutter press Sunday papers.

It sadddens me that this otherwise excellent forum has started the descent to such a level!

Whadda ya talkin about mate this is Aussie speedway, workmans sport not Jane Austin's Sense and sensibility stiff upper lip political correctness bulldingo as unlike over there with some we dont put the riders up on pedestals regardless of who they are on track and what they acheived which we respect but off it they are just another dude and its the best piece of print media speedway journalism in years for telling it like it.

If ya own a platform to hava a spew like that magazine then as far i am concerned it open license to throw a fire a few verbal rockets up there arses with what occurred and if they dont like it tough rubbishe.

So as far i am concerned David and particuarly Rod could of gone alot harder

than they did and that excellent photo printed in that article by the photographer of Schlein giving another rider a tonguey in his ear like Linda Lovelace during the riders briefing pretty much says it all of the riders mentioned attitudes on the night.

It is still a raw saw point for us locals at Gosford mate as only been able to run one proper solo meeting so far this season and our local riders have had bugga all track time at their local as a result but this articles go along way to ripping it back up the arses of those mentioned who stuffed it that night for all concerned.

no worries hava a good one !!

Edited by REAR WHEEL ROOST DUDE

Good on the organisers for telling it how it was. <personal comment removed>. Why should the riders be exempt from a grilling because it could upset them. These are men and not little girls. Go on another forum Ron where there will be no criticism.

Everyone knows that Schlein, Watt and Lyons are cry babies and have all seen them cry over track conditions before. Lyons and Watt are two of the mentally weakest riders about and if aren't happy about something then won't try. Look at Lyons' pathetic performance at Wolves last season and Watt has often cried over spilt milk and loves a moan. Schlein on occasions has shown he believes his own hype a little too much and Doolan and Batchelor thought they were some sort of superstars last season after winning a couple of end of season trophies against a weakened team.

Notice the riders who wanted too ride are racers and not bottle jobs who believe they are something special and up their own backsides.

Nice to see the Aussies telling it how it is. Shame we don't see more of it in this country.

To be fair on that point Steve, I was in the pits that night and the track was not safe and riders from both camps did not want to ride but did agree to give things a go. It was clear that the track was not safe and was called off for good reasons.

What do you know, you were just there :P I mean come on the other guys were watching it on TV so they obviously knew more about it than you ;)

I cannot believe some of you on here, how many of you ride speedway bikes? What qualifications have you got to determine whether the track was safe or not, I think someone was quite right when they said that the superior experience of Leigh and Todd, means that they are able to ride most tracks, whatever the conditions, but at the end of the day, they are the one's putting their lives on the line, remember Ashley, remember Toni?

Rightly or wrongly, it is the riders decision collectively or as a majority, whether they ride or not, and yes we as supporters get very frustrated when a meeting is cancelled for whatever reason, but at least everyone lives to fight another day.It's sport and entertainment for god's sake. :unsure:

Whadda ya talkin about mate this is bloody Aussie speedway, workmans sport not Jane Austin's Sense and sensibility stiff upper lip political correctness bulldingo as unlike over there with some we dont put the riders up on pedestals regardless of who they are on track and what they acheived as off it they are just another dude and its the best piece of print media speedway journalism in years for telling it like it

If ya own a platform to hava a spew like that magazine then as far i am concerned it open license to throw a fire a few verbal rockets up there arses with what occurred and if they dont like it tough rubbishe.

The same has been done in recent times this year out here as well by one editor in a MX print media mag as well with four letter words and a personal invite to a few pissin and whingin riders to meet him personally over behind to the pits to sort it out mano to mano if they didnt like the home truths he spoke.

So as far i am concerned David and particuarly Rod could of gone alot harder

than they did and that excellent photo printed in that article by the photographer of Schlein giving another rider a tonguey in his ear like Linda Lovelace during the riders briefing pretty much says it all of the riders mentioned attitudes on the night.

It is still a raw saw point for some of us involved with Gosford mate and this articles go along way to ripping it back up the arses of those mentioned.

no worries hava a nice day!!

Well said, top post.

:approve:

Whadda ya talkin about mate this is bloody Aussie speedway, workmans sport not Jane Austin's Sense and sensibility stiff upper lip political correctness bulldingo as unlike over there with some we dont put the riders up on pedestals regardless of who they are on track and what they acheived as off it they are just another dude

Spot on attitude, trouble is most people in this country are so far up the rectums of anyone remotely well known that they forget they're just another bloke or woman who happen to do something different and slightly better paid for a living...does my head in!! :mad:

Names like Watt and Lyons in particular would have been easy to pick out as the chief instigators of a good ol' track moan.

Edited by frigbo

What do you know, you were just there :P  I mean come on the other guys were watching it on TV so they obviously knew more about it than you ;)

I cannot believe some of you on here, how many of you ride speedway bikes? What qualifications have you got to determine whether the track was safe or not, I think someone was quite right when they said that the superior experience of Leigh and Todd, means that they are able to ride most tracks, whatever the conditions, but at the end of the day, they are the one's putting their lives on the line, remember Ashley, remember Toni?

Rightly or wrongly, it is the riders decision collectively or as a majority, whether they ride or not, and yes we as supporters get very frustrated when a meeting is cancelled for whatever reason, but at least everyone lives to fight another day.It's sport and entertainment for god's sake. :unsure:

Er - Read the thread mate! :D

you are attacking things I said using other things I said, a little confusing.

I said that a cancelled meeting on TV is worse in terms of potential fan impact.

I said Leigh and Todd might have been listened too. And I said that as a non-rider I am in a very weak position on this issue. And I remember Ashley - from the 1st page in this thread.

And the whole "how many of you ride speedway bikes? " line must DIE!

I don't have to work in Burger King to know when my Whopper is rubbishe.

:D

Edited by SwineTown

What do you know, you were just there :P  I mean come on the other guys were watching it on TV so they obviously knew more about it than you ;)

This is the tired old argument that is always put forward. As I mentioned earlier, riders of today have only one knowledge.. full throttle racing. They cannot comprehend that you can race on a trickier track with a bit of skill and throttle control.

Have you considered that maybe the reason for the increase in injuries is in fact just the opposite to the above argument? Riders want super slick, fast tracks so they can rider faster and faster, inches from the fence. In the past, if you went too wide you would be in the really deep stuff, often slowing you down. Now, there is such a lack of dirt on the tracks there is nothing out there to slow you as the fence approaches. One mistake and BANG.

If a track is prepared these days, quite heavy, or with a lot of dirt down, the riders do not want to know.

I quite like my Whopper ST! :P