British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Jerzy Szczakiel

It is often said that Jerzy Szczakiel was the worst World Champion of all time; that his win was a fluke and that no-one had ever heard of him before he won the title in 1973.

I was recently reading Donald Allen's 'Speedway '72' book which included in it a review of the 1971 Polish season by Ian MacDonald. Here are a few selected quotes from that article: Talking of the World Cup, Macdonald named the five riders in the team then went on to say, 'Certainly the selected team was hard to justify', after mentioning Jancarz's absence, the article goes on, 'Even stranger was the absence of Jerzy Szczakiel from the side. Only a few weeks earlier he had been Poland's only entrant in the World Final. He had also been the best rider on show in the World Best Pairs Final which he had won in conjunction with Wyglenda.'

Later, in the same article he reports on the Polish Riders'Final, 'Favourites were Szczakiel and Wyglenda'. Szczakiel in fact finished second.

Finally, MacDonald says, 'If only a couple [of Polish riders] follow in the footsteps of Szczakiel, who was the Silver Helmet winner two years ago, then the Poles will be more than pleased.'

Perhaps he wasn't that bad after all.

After that, I'm voting for Egon Muller as the worst ever!

Not only did he win the 1971 World Pairs final but I believe he scored a maximum in it. He was probably underrated, but I'd still say he was the worst World Champion of all. I still reckon Muller was better than he was given credit for. I have a video called 'Circuits of Gold' about Ivan Mauger, and Ivan's wife is talking about how Ivan would get highly stressed trying to copy what Egon was doing - so he can't have been that bad. Gary Havelock was a pretty weak World Champion.

He was in the right place at the right time, wasn't he? Seem to remember that Olsen went into the meeting with an injured shoulder, otherwise was a fairly red-hot favourite. I saw Jerzy ride in England a few years later, he was as bad as he was good the night he became champion.

I suppose Szczakiel wasn't as bad as he's made out. But the was still nver a deserving Champ. Even now, looking at a World Final scorechart which put him ahead of the likes of Mauger, Olsen, Michanek, Collins and even Plech makes strange reading.

I've got the final on video somewhere and something definitely transpired in the stars that day for Jerzy. His win was a combination of:

* rolling starts

* slick track

* luck

* corruption

Consider the following:

* He was rolling from the every start and was nearly always first to the first turn by questionable means - didn't overtake anyone as I recall.

* The track was super-slick, even Mauger had to bust a gut to get past someone. Once you had made the jump, it was easier than normal to hang on.

* After Szczakiel emerged from a couple of races with wins - the fix was on. Ed Jancarz was one of those who blatantly let him through in a later ride

* The ref cocked it up. In heat 20, he failed to stop the race when Plech had been stuffed into the fence, tried to reverse his decision, but couldn't (quite rightly). Otherwise Plech would have joined Ivan and Jerzy in the run-off

* For once in his life, Mauger lost his cool. He ran into the back of Szczakiel in the run-off and fell-off. He was he was clearly faster and should have bided his time.

Nonetheless though, it was a fascinating final and will always be one of the most famous in speedway history.

Szczakiel was abit of a late entry to the VSRA meal, but it was no excuse to more or less ignore him.

One of my party gave up their room so he could stay at the Hilton as it was a last minute thing.

It is so funny in hindsight, because Jerzy, in the runoff with Ivan, continued, and as Ivan laid on the track, passed by spraying Ivan with shale, very dramatic. 8)

It is so funny in hindsight, because Jerzy, in the runoff with Ivan, continued, and as Ivan laid on the track, passed by spraying Ivan with shale, very dramatic. 8)

I know, cos I was there.

But we've analysed this to death and still I don't know how to pronounce his name.

Is it Evan? or Ivan?

Just kidding, Ivy, if you're reading. You are the best ever. This Swedish upstart is still thinking about driving touring cars because he's worried about the opposition.

Sorry Tony. You know I think you're the best ever. (I hope Ivan's not really reading this).

Time for bed, said Zebede. :P

* He was rolling from the every start and was nearly always first to the first turn by questionable means - didn't overtake anyone as I recall.

* After Szczakiel emerged from a couple of races with wins - the fix was on. Ed Jancarz was one of those who blatantly let him through in a later ride

Thanks for the run down falcace. I guess I'll have to change my mind and go back to Jerzy being the worst ever...although there's always Gary Havelock.

However, I'm not sure your two quotes above quite add up, unless you're not countng getting past Jancarz as overtaking and by 'nearly always first to the first turn' you mean in all but the one heat when Jancarz was in front.

Anyway, the fact he won by rolling at the start in every race seems to me to be a case of the biter bit when it comes to Ivan Mauger

A bit unfair on Gary Havelock I reckon.

The records for 1992 reveal that he won virtually everything there was going that particular season.

A worthy champ for a short while at least.

but no more worthy than Szczakiel perhaps....

the Pole also had a good record...world pairs for one.

Egon Muller also probably made more World Finals and he has been classed as the worst also...

I remember in 1983 most people - at least on the bus I was on - were predicting Egon Muller to win before the meeting. When my friend got Muller in the sweep the whole bus groaned because they all wanted him.