British Speedway Forum

ive just read all through about whts going on i thin it would be a gd idea in a way beacuse there would be less accedents (was a few last year) but then agin its up to the rider to controll the bike and what standerd they are at but some of them are only beginners and cam not handle the bikes cus they are leight and also the person who is riding the bike are light and will pick up easy on a 500 (as i found out a few times) and most of the tracks are getting tricky and grippy at the moment as i said it is up to the rider to ride the bike instead of the bike controlling you?

but the youngsters do need to be encoraged young but you cld start on a 250 or even a 350 if they still do them and work your way up like tht ?

tim

Having listened to the comments of two young riders I would be inclined to agree with Tim Webster and Ben Powell. 500cc does seem to be a lot of HP for a someone less than 15 years old and 7st to handle. I thought I was the dogs b*ll*cks when I bought an RD250LC at the tender age of 16, but when I consider there are 13 year old boys riding 500cc racing machines my mind boggles. I can appreciate you need a certain amount of HP to get the rear wheel spinning and hence the bike turning, but in reality how much throttle do the younger riders really use? Perhaps a 250cc or 350cc class would be good for youth rider development. After all youth grasstrack riders use 125cc bikes up to 15 years of age (I think).

It would help this forum and its readers if the postings went through a spell checker.I can barely understand some of the posts !!!!.

The area which needs to be addressed is the assesment of riders to be considered for an upgrade.Youth Riders develop at different times both physically and the ability to ride on the shale.

It has been too easy to get the upgrade and riders should have to prove themselves more.

That said, its up to the parent to protect their child/rider and decide what size of machinary to use for the best.

I have said before the 250 speeds will be the same as the 500 so the accidents will not get any less.

It is a dangerous sport and allowing 4 riders out on track with a vast difference of skill levels will always be risky.

Edited by morganbike

I would also say there lap times would be the same if not faster on the 250cc as the 250cc will be a usealbe power unlike the 500cc as for the hp for geting the bike to slide lol the less the bike slides the faster u can get around that conner anyway.

As I said in my last post, only bought the 500cc because Jamie was told he could handle one. He went to a training school where he actually rode two, both with different set ups and did very well.

He wasn't really interested in going flat out in competitions yet, just wanted to get his confidence up and build up slowly.

I certainly do not have the funds to now get a 250, it is just not an option. We were going to get him a 250 or 350.

Shame the governing body and the ??????? who decided this couldn't have agreed and announced it at the end of last season, instead of letting lots of parents and thier children spend the money on equipment during the winter.

I understand that I am not the only one who is livid, there are quite a few angry parents out there.

Thanks SCB, another rider you have screwed over :mad::angry:

My apologies to anyone out there who doesn't agree with me but Jamie worked really hard to get the money together for this bike and now it is just going to sit in a shed. Sorry I am just angry!!!

Edited by sCATygirl!

me to sppent £1.700 kitting him out jawa bring a 250cc engine out why when they can not make to meet demands jawa agents can not get any for 8 weeks,this should be ruled in for 2007 not 4 weeks before the start of the race year, they must sit in a pub and after 10 pints think of new rules . do the chuckle brothers work there

About time, it sad that this has come about 4 weeks before the season but IMO anyone under 16 should be on a 80cc.

Its never done the scandanavians any harm that way.

80cc bikes are only any good on suitable tracks - which we don't have over here.

Apparently the parts needed to convert a 500 to 250 are too expensive to make it worthwhile. However a 350 can be converted reasonably easily and there should be a few cheap 350 engines about from the grass track. It means relocating the crankpin - which has also to be stepped and re-sleeving the barrel. Not a 5 minute do it yourself job but I would have thought a whole lot cheaper than a new 250.

and there should be a few cheap 350 engines about from the grass track.

You'll be very lucky to find any cheap 350's knocking about on the grass, they're like rocking horse droppings.

Apparently the parts needed to convert a 500 to 250 are too expensive to make it worthwhile. However a 350 can be converted reasonably easily and there should be a few cheap 350 engines about from the grass track. It means relocating the crankpin - which has also to be stepped and re-sleeving the barrel. Not a 5 minute do it yourself job but I would have thought a whole lot cheaper than a new 250.

Quote Vince

As a tuner I can convert a 500cc speedway engine into a 250cc engine in the same way i convert 500s to 350s for the grass track. Ive got 2 250 gms for sale for ¢2500 + tax now and can convert existing gm and jawa motors for 600GBP but at the end of the season if you send me your motor back i can convert back to 500cc. But if its geared right it can be almost as quick as a 500 anyway. If you watch grass track you will see the 350s in the open class matching the 500s.

contact me on +41774117882 Malc

you can not mod a 500 engine  to a 250 cost more than a new one to do ,already ask bellams, had a honda 250 round lynn crap ,get a carb which is sealed, and 24mm,not a 38mm like yours ben or did you say 40mm lol

Quote Vince

As a tuner I can convert a 500cc speedway engine into a 250cc engine in the same way i convert 500s to 350s for the grass track. Ive got 2 250 gms for sale for ¢2500 + tax now and can convert existing gm and jawa motors for 600GBP but at the end of the season if you send me your motor back i can convert back to 500cc. But if its geared right it can be almost as quick as a 500 anyway. If you watch grass track you will see the 350s in the open class matching the 500s.

What was that u said lazy rider

proberly not let you use it in 250cc class as u would have a 350 head on it

Edited by lazyrider

Unfortunately having spent all our money on the 500cc we just do not have anything left to convert it and Jamie doesn't want to sell it. Also any money we now get is meant to be going towards a van, too darn expensive to keep hiring.

How is all this going to affect the Acadamy and also the U15 Championship?

Agree that it is the timing of it all that sucks, no thought or regard!!!

Edited by sCATygirl!