Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Quote LAZYRIDER

proberly not let you use it in 250cc class as u would have a 350 head on it

It doesnt matter matter about the size of the head its the overall size of the engine. size of the cylinder and length of conrod etc etc.

My engines are legal and are used in poland and southern europe thats why i have 2 engines ready and can change from 500 to 350 and 250. The parts i use are made in slovenia and can be used in jawa or gm.

Are they going to allow 2 strokes to be used in the series then or do they have to be 4 stroke jawa engines or converted gm engines?

I personally think the clubs should each buy 3 or 4 bikes and let the under 15 riders use them for say 15GBP per rider per meeting then they get there money back and they are kept standard and it encourages more riders to try and parents dont get understandedly upset when some one decides 1 or 2 months before the season to change the rules when people are all setting up equipment ready to race.

from is being said 250 jawa engines if gm do 1 ,i would say it could be used, unless it is going to be a jawa comp only, ie as car racing do fomula ford . :blink:

Quote LAZYRIDER

I personally think the clubs should each buy 3 or 4 bikes and let the under 15 riders use them for say 15GBP per rider per meeting then they get there money back and they are kept standard and it encourages more riders to try and parents dont get understandedly upset when some one decides 1 or 2 months before the season to change the rules when people are all setting up equipment ready to race.

What a wonderful idea, but would they do it :rolleyes: . It would certainly give the youngsters a chance and as you say would probably encourage more. Surely the kids of today are the champions of tomorrow, without them there will be no future Speedway.

It works in both Sweden and Poland although they dont charge any money but they could even run prctices before the meetings and things and where permited at the weekends. Clubs can buy cheap bikes from riders at the end of the season without the engine or carbs and then rent them out.

If enough people bring up the subject with clubs, promotors or the bspa then maybe something could be done. How about applying for a grant from sport england or from the lottery commision to get the scheme started then maybe if enough money is raised supply one bike to each team in all 3 leagues.

What does the scb do with all the money it makes from permits every year, and its not as if its a tenner a season is it????

Gm do not make a 250 or 350 and will not make one.

even if the club got a engine at trade price ,iam shore the riders in that team could pull enough bits to make a bike up .i hunted around the work shop over winter and made a bike up hay got 4 know ,and no where to ride them, £12,000, in gear watt a sport, out with the golf clubs this summer,stripping them down 4 storage know :angry:

:mad::angry: the ruling for 2006. if you did not have a 500cc permit in 2005 and you are under 14 you can not have a 500 untill you are 14 and over. and 2 letters from a training officers at a track.so its 250cc for all under 14s this year . you can not ride 5oos at training schools,they could have said at the begining of last year,so a lot of people have 500s and no where to ride them,i think it will turn a lot of kids to grass track,and away from speedway as the 250 engine is £1.680,and you could get a good 125 grass bike for that, :mad::mad:

This is not something that will be unique to the UK. The various FMN's and their tecchnical teams having been talking about this for some time now, and it is an ongoing scenario. There are ongoing tests of these machines by the FNM's and their technical members.

There are very real concerns, from various FMN's that 2 stroke engines may well be banned soon on environmental grounds, and that something had to be done - the 250 was the most appropriate solution. Obviously there had been concerns about potential accidents, and the possible ramifications of that, for juniors on 500's.

As I understand it, this class is being taken up by the FIM, and my guess is that there will be a 250 championship of some description in the future.

As for expensive rule changes at short (if any) notice, welcome to the world of speedway from the other side of the fence. As you are no doubt aware, there has been major issues regading carburation regulations, which would have made over 80% of the carburettors in use in the GP series illegal, at a moments notice. You may have noticed that the results of the recent ice semi final in Inzell were not made official for several days, for this very reason.

Would it not have made more sense to say the ruling would be put in place on say 1st November 2006. Giving mums and dads a chance to do somthing about it?

Would just like to point out that this has not come about 4 weeks before the start of the season. We received official notification in December and it was certainly talked about prior to that. It may not seem ideal for some but there are a lot of concerns from various people from officials to medics regarding the youngsters on 500's.

So it's only U14's who cannot get a licence then? :neutral::angry:

In that case Jamie should be ok as he was 14 last November. I am still gutted though for all those under that age, who through no fault of thier own, cannot now ride the bikes they have if they are 500cc. Surely if a training instructor at any track has said they are competent to ride it that should be ok, or that undermines the instructor!!

Next Question: Where do you apply for a licence and am I right in thinking that there is more than one licence!!??!!

I have been reading all this wondering what the problem with the Supply and demand for the 250 bikes.We have had them for years. We did some exhibition rides for Jawa then the next year they were in production.

In the USA the rules have allways state that when a rider turns 16 then they are allowed on a 500.Some promotions will allow a rider to ride at 15.

If you would like to check out what these bikes run like go to

www.xtremespeedwayaction.com and scroll down to Gumball Ralley

We also have a female rider that rides them really well.