British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Mike Letch

Issue 13 of Backtrack is out next weekend and one of our exclusive interviews is with Mike Letch, a former Aussie junior who rode second halves at Hackney, Peterborough and a number of other tracks before he suffered a tragic fall at Rye House in 1970.

The crash left Mike disabled but this incredible man is far from downcast and, as our story vividly tells, he has rebuilt his life so successfully that he is now a wheelchair athlete and diving instructor back home in Brisbane, Oz.

Here are just a few poignant paragraphs from a most uplifting story that deserves a read. Mike is talking about THAT crash with fellow junior Freddie Sweet that proved a life-changing moment...

Mike says: “I believe Freddie never rode again and I was saddened by that – he took the crash hard, but I got him to come up and see me at Stoke Mandeville and promise me that he’d keep riding.

“He was a good mate and I was very sad that it knocked him around so badly. I cast no blame – it was just a racing incident. I would love to hear from him if anyone knows where he is.

“The next morning I woke up in hospital in Harlow to find myself very much alive – I couldn't believe it.

“Some days later I had a very sad-faced doctor tell me that I would never walk again and he couldn't understand that I had just been given my life back, that I should be dead and that was he was telling me was no big deal.

“I felt like I had got out of jail free – remember, this was just four weeks after the Lokeren road tragedy and everyone was feeling a little mortal in those days. I was very glad to be alive – I didn't need anything else.”

Does anyone remember Mike - perhaps you were there at the Ace of Herts meeting that fateful day, August 16, 1970?

For the full, astonishing story, and how courageous Mike turned tragedy into triumph, don't miss issue 13 of Backtrack Magazine...

I remember Mike Letch riding second halves at Cradley in 1970, as did Mal Carmichael who sadly lost his life at Lokeren.

Remember seeing a photo of Mike in one of the Websters annuals watching the racing at Hackney in his wheelchair.

I had an email from Mike just before Christmas, from Australia. Mike had the occasional second-half ride at Romford and he'd found my Romford Bombers website!

I was only 11 at the time but I can still remember the crash.I was standing on the back straight and mike crashed coming out of the second bend.I am sure I also went to a meeting at ryehouse that was held to raise money for mike.

Edited by the brick

I am sure I also went to a meeting at ryehouse that was held to raise money for mike.

Yeah, Mike also remembers that well. It was the Mike Letch Trophy individual on October 18, 1970, and it was won by a promising Ipswich rider called John Louis! JL later presented a cheque for monies raised to Mike before he returned home to Oz.

I advise anyone to read our new interview with Mike, it's so uplifting and a lesson to us all not to feel too sorry for ourselves.

just to let you all know mike is in the uk this week,i attended the rye house meeting vs iow on saturday,its the first time hes been to rye or indeed england since hes crash in 1970,hes a great guy and loves his speedway,hopefully he'll be going to oxford this week,so he would be so happy if any of you fancies a chat

i met him on saturday, fantastic bloke! its amazing how he has become a scuba diving instuctor! its people like this that really amaze me, all these problems still do not get in the way of there life! inspiration to me! :)