British Speedway Forum

Was talking to Matt and his lovely wife Claire at Sheffield last Sunday at Sean's Cracker and they told me that he is staging a Farewell Meeting at Somerset on Friday September 22nd.

I haven't seen mention of it anywhere as yet --so thought I'd just start the ball rolling for it. I know it is a long way off yet but if you are like me I like to organise my diary and days off etc early and this is one I am most definitely going to put in it.

Matt was looking good and getting around , albeit on his sticks, but says he does get tired easily. After his horrific crash and major injuries it is just great to see him around. I know he misses riding and although he would love nothing more than to get back on a bike , he realises that this is but a dream now.

He was an all action rider who gaves his all and became a bit of a legend down at Somerset --especially with that wicked smile of his !!

So folks no doubt more news will be forthcoming as time goes by , but for now please book Friday September 22nd in your diaries and get yourself down to the Oak Tree Arena at Somerset to give Matt Read your support.

Yes I heard the same too at Sheffield on Sunday and as well as helping Shaun Tacey for his meeting at Mildenhall on Sept 10th have offered my help (as did Shane and Anji Parker) to Matt for Sept 22nd --so I'm going to be a busy boy that month by the look of it.

As speedwayfan has said get down to the great race track at Somerset on Sept 22nd to support Readie. :)

Agree with you both - early diary entry made now. :D

Edited by fairy4ever

Would love to be there for this one :)

Hope we can get some other islanders to join us for the evening too!

I asked her the same question!

I know - I made a mistake. I'll be in Poland!

Anyone want to offer Lora a lift as she wont be!!! :unsure:

Looks like Matt has a good meeeting lined up with Elite riders together with Sidecar Speedway and Motocross display.Details on the NEWS page of the SOMERSET site.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure my old mate Mike Manning and Statman won't mind me copying the news page on here from the Somerset Rebels website :

Somerset 'Mike Manning Audio' Rebel star, Matt Read , has announced that he is to stage a farewell meeting at Somerset's Oak Tree Arena on Friday 22nd September. Despite making a miraculous recovery from the horrendous injuries he received during a long track meeting in France in 2004, the Hampshire based 24 year old has been advised to call it a day as far as any future return to the saddle is concerned and although an Eastbourne asset, Read wanted to bring the curtain down on his career at Somerset, as he explained.

"Somerset and the Rebels are my speedway home as far as I am concerned, everything to do with the place is fantastic, the club, the promotion, the track, but most of all the fans. I was so happy during my time with the Rebels that there was never any doubt as to where I wanted to stage this farewell meeting." "At present I'm not sure as to the format of the meeting, but I can assure the fans that'll I'll be going out in typical 'Readie' style!" "A number of top line Elite League riders have already contacted me asking to ride, which is fantastic." "In addition to the meeting itself, there will be some sidecar speedway racing and an exhibition of freestyle moto-cross riding."

In a career that took in Arena Essex and Isle of Wight as well as Somerset and his parent club Eastbourne, Read made his Somerset debut in May 2003 when immediately won over the Rebels fans with an all action performance in scoring a paid 14 points against Exeter. His 100% commitment and gutsy riding style made him a firm favourite with the fans, for whom he always had time to speak or sign autographs, and it is anticipated that there will be a full house at the Oak Tree Arena to give one of speedway's true entertainers a fitting sign off to his career.