British Speedway Forum
wollongong

Speedway Autograph Book

Hi All,

I acquired an autograph book with autographs of speedway riders from Bradford Odsal. The autographs in this book start with Eddie Rigg, Norman Parker, Ernie Price, Norman Price, Aub Lawson, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Arthur Atkinson, Alec Statham, Bill Gilbert, Jack Biggs, Oliver Hart, B. A. Lovell, Jack Hughes, Arthur Forest, Ron Peace, George Slinger??? Joe Abbott.

Other Autographs under the title "Speedway" are: Smith, Roper, Bell, Grimshaw, Boaty???, Metcalfe, Kirton, Young, Robinson, Allinson, Hayton, Morris, Rumlott???, Blanchard, Palin, Parkinson, Sutcliffe, Janson, Jackson, Plodd, Holdsworth, Fearon, Walsh, Green, Rhodes, Kershaw, Lord, Malpass

Most of the top section have been solved however any of the names in bold have not been confirmed.

If anyone can confirm any of these riders and who they rode for, I would be very grateful.

The autograph book was once owned by: Jack Byard, 23 Aygill Avenue, Haworth Road, Bradford and then by: K Wilkinson, 62 Washington Street, Girlington, Bradford. I purchased it from a lady in Scotland who found it in the bottom of a job lot box at a car boot sale.

Thanx

Wollongong

Edited by wollongong

Hi All,

I acquired an autograph book with autographs of speedway riders from Bradford Odsal.  The autographs in this book start with Eddie Rigg, Norman Parker, Ernie Price, Norman Price, Aub Lawson, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Arthur Atkinson, Alec Statham, Bill Gilbert, Jack Biggs, Oliver Hart, B. A. Lovell, Jack Hughes, Arthur Forest, Ron Peace, George Slinger??? Joe Abbott.

Other Autographs under the title "Speedway" are: Smith, Roper, Bell, Grimshaw, Boaty???, Metcalfe, Kirton, Young, Robinson, Allinson, Hayton, Morris, Rumlott???, Blanchard, Palin, Parkinson, Sutcliffe, Janson, Jackson, Plodd, Holdsworth, Fearon, Walsh, Green, Rhodes, Kershaw, Lord, Malpass

Malpass would probably be Cradley's Phil Malpass, who had quite a distinguished career. Allison and George STRINGER both rode for Halifax in the early 50's, with the former also riding for Odsal.

Unfortunately, without more information, it is difficult to identify the others.

Steve

Re the above query:

Possible names = Tommy Roper, Doug Bell, 'Boaty' - Graham Beattie (but doubtful), Jack or Frank or Larry Young (?), Tony Robinson, Al Allison, Cliff Parkinson, "Plodd" badly signed Malcolm Flood (maybe), Ken Walsh, Wally Green, Phil Malpass (three of the above already named elsewhere).

Jackson could be Harold Jackson.

Many of them could be second-half riders and novices. A lot don't mean anything to me but I look forward to details.

Edited by speedyguy

Possible names = Tommy Roper, Doug Bell,  'Boaty' - Graham Beattie (but doubtful), Jack or Frank or Larry Young (?), Tony Robinson, Al Allison, Cliff Parkinson, "Plodd" badly signed Malcolm Flood (maybe), Ken Walsh, Wally Green, Phil Malpass (three of the above already named elsewhere).

Jackson could be Harold Jackson.

Many of them could be second-half riders and novices. A lot don't mean anything to me but I look forward to details.

My thoughts exactly... I did think that Tony Robinson and Tommy Roper would be likely candidates, with Wally Green and Cliff Parkinson as possibilties. However, names like Jackson and Young are a little too common to pin down. Certainly, Kershaw, Kirton, and Holdsworth mean absolutely nothing, and the only Grimshaw I know is Alan (Belle Vue in 1974 and ), which doesn't exactly fit in with the period.

Steve

Hi All,

The autographs are as follows on the pages in the book - This may help to identify the riders and the teams they rode for!

Page 1

Eddie Rigg, Norman Parker, Ernie Price, Norman Price

Page 2

Aub Lawson, Bill Osbourne, Wilbur Lamoureux, Arthur Atkinson, Alec Statham, Bill Gilbert

Page 3

Mike Erskine

Page 4

Jack Biggs, Oliver Hart

Page 5

Jack Hughes, B. A. Lovell

Page 6

Arthur Forest, Ron Peace

Page 7

George Stringer

Page 8

Joe Abbott

Page 9

Smith, Roper, Bell, Grimshaw, Boaty???, Metcalfe, Kirton, Young, Robinson, Allinson, Hayton, Morris, Rumlott???, Blanchard???

Page 10

Palin, Parkinson, Sutcliffe, Janson, Jackson, Plodd???, Holdsworth, Fearon???, Walsh, Green, Rhodes, Kershaw, Lord, Malpass

I can email pictures of the autographs if this will help? - please let me know!

walkabout.creek@ntlworld.com

Thanx

Wollongong

Edited by wollongong

B A Lovell would be Bob Lovell who rode for Birmingham in 1946 and 1947. He and Tiger Hart formed a quite formidable partnership for quite a time; with Tiger being "foot forward" and Bob being a "leg trailer" they complemented each other very well with Tiger taking the inside line and Bob riding an outside line. After the 1947 season Bob was transferred to Odsal. There is an action shot of Bob and Tiger on the "Action" page of the Brummies site on www.brummiespeedway.co.uk