British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

An Open Letter To The Riders At The Elrc

Have just got back home to Peterborough after spending two nights at Poole. It cost me 120 pounds for the two nights stay, plus the 34 pounds for the tickets to see 6 races. I have not had time to go through all these posts but the ones I have read agree with what I feel, that the meeting could have carried on. In addition we enticed two people who do not live far from Poole to go for the first time. They did not know what to expect but were looking forward to it. I don't know if they will ever go again. I'm not saying I did not have a good weekend but my primary reason for going there was to see the speedway.

I am Stilton Panthers better half, and wanted to add my bit, he forgot to add the cost of the petrol to get down there which was considerable....we love our speedway, but i agree with Steve totally, what we witnessed was a disgrace.

I would never ever wish to see any rider fall or get hurt because of track conditions, but they looked fair from where we were sitting in the stand, and as we were saying goodbye to our friends(feeling very embarrassed i might add) in the car park, there was not a drop of rain to be seen.

The riders involved, seemed to have no respect or regard at all, for the fans, many of whom like us had travelled a long way and at some expense to watch this event.

To salvage something from the weekend, we stopped at Ryehouse on the way home, paid £15.00 and watched TWO matches, we were warmly welcomed,had some fantastic fish and chips and were treated to some fine speedway, with no prima donnas.....now doesn't that make you stop and think.

I await with interest any reply from a rider....as Stilton Panther said, as yet we have not had time to read all the posts...but I suspect there is not one on the thread that I have missed!

Dont know about Poole but Bob Dugard  at Eastbourne can relay a track in 2 hours.

But the big but is ..Sky schedules and riders flight bookings for Poland

Fine.If these riders think Poland is the bees-knees then let them p**s off over there.I couldn,t care if half of these never rode over here again.Bet the majority on this forum think the vsame as well.

Why don't we all boycott the re-arranged meeting?

Because most people have already paid? Or even weirder, we're speedway fans who like to watch speedway :blink::o

Because most people have already paid?  Or even weirder, we're speedway fans who like to watch speedway  :blink:  :o

It could be either, but I won't be going again!

According to Poole official website "We will be re-staging the event at some point in the future and all patrons are urged to retain their re-admission tickets as we will be allowing Free admission on presentation of the appropriate tickets when the meeting is re-arranged. Of course that is going to be a headache to find a suitable date but we will announce it as soon as possible."

We'll done:) But I still agree with the original post by Steve!

Pretty obvious you were not there then Alan.

Be interesting to see how many people are willing to travel hundreds of miles for the restaging, once bitten twice shy perhaps? Feel a bit sorry for the promotion here couldnt blame them if they didnt want this meeting now.

Should there be an "Open Letter to the Clerk Of The Course" and "Open Letter to the Referee" as well as the original letter to the riders? They haven't exactly been exonerated for what went on.

That was a little tongue-in-cheek.  I doubt they would refuse if people were to post them back rather than actually go to the stadium.

Before deleting the match I watched it again just to confirm a couple of things.  Based on what was seen and heard by the Sky cameras.

Jason was the only rider seen on the phone to the ref, just a second before the ref asked for the CotC.

Jason was only rider in the ref's ear when he first looked at the track.

Jason was certainly not intending to ride again, as he walked back to the pits on this first occasion.

Neither Jason, nor Mark, said it was dangerous.  Scott said that they'd said this.

Mark said he didn't mind as he walked back to the pits past a camera, you can just make it out as there was no mic on him.

Chris said he was p!$$ed off waiting and he thought the track was okay, just before he suggested a show of hands.

There is no indication whatsoever of how Nicki felt about racing.  He is only seen breifly from a distance, and there is no way of telling from the shots shown.

PK, Hans, David, Lee, and Charlie, are all seen quite relaxed.  They all seem ready to carry on as they chat and joke amongst themselves in the pits.  Non of them are in ref's ear, and non show any signs of negativity at all. 

Leigh, Greg, KK, (virtually unseen until now), and Scott all agree very quickly not to go out and ride.  At that point they should be making their way onto track.  At that point the official word from the ref is that the meeting is on.  At that point those four riders are refusing to race despite the fact that the match is on, at that point.

The ref then bows down to their wishes and calls it off.

I said on the other thread, and will repeat here, the interview with RR was very good.  He was the only one to think of the fans, and he earned himself some brownie points in my eyes last night.  I've never particularly liked the guy, although I respect the work he puts in to speedway, but he gets my man of the match award.  :wink:

2.gif2.gif2.gif

Here, Here Chris - well said!!! :approve:

It's always happened. It's nothing new. The blame being put on the riders here is just plain ridiculous as the meeting was abandoned by the officials. Not by Jason Crump. It's a regular Speedway occurance and always has been for as long as I can remember.

Well said, Grachan

Having read only the first few posts of this forum i find its the same people over and over again wanting.. no "DEMANDING" that riders carry on a meeting for their pleasure just because they travelled x amount of miles and paid x to get into a meeting. WHAT A SELFISH ATTITUDE TO HAVE!

IF one of your clubs riders had been injured for the season you'd have all been moaning that it should have been called off.

As correctly stated above it's the OFFICIALS that make the decision not the riders (although they do contribute to the final decision with their opinions).

It's just easier for you to blame someone because you lost money.. but dont you think the riders lost out too?

I have said it a million times before and will say it again.. the slightest doubt over the state of the track and weather and the meeting is called off.. hey I'd rather that than someone injured.

You may say but no one would have been hurt etc.. how do you know?

After all I may be wrong and the meeting gone ahead and there be no injuries, BUT if YOU were riding would YOU be prepared to take the same risk?

I was watching the event at home and it didnt make speedway look stupid in the slightest. Quite the opposite and as a sport that listened to it's participents and made an informed decision regardless of the pressure SKY and the press put on the event.

You'll find that I will slate the authorities as much as anyone else when I think they're wrong, but on matters like these IMO theyre right and I respect any decision made.

Get on a bike tuned to the standard of their bikes and ride a track that they're as you put it "moaning" about, also think about the risk of injury you may get and add in the effects it will have on your family if you cant ride for the season and the distress suffered by seeing you hurt?