Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Thoroughly enjoyed this meeting, have to say the the race between Bunyan, Holder, Smith and I forget the other rider (Wilkinson maybe?) was the best I have seen for a very long time and was a credit to the track satff. Shame the Lynn lads both had a bad afternoon! Quality stuff nevertheless :)

I have been critical of two things in the past about speedway at Newport around the Grand Prix weekend, so its only right that I now post again.

Maybe past comments have been taken to heart because this year I actually got a programme for both meetings, something I have not acheived before! They are not the best produced programmes I have ever seen but I did enjoy the content in both of them, especially Bryn William's column on the Conference League on Friday.

Secondly, the track, which has had a lot of flack in the past with great clouds of dust swirling about. I thought it was so much better this year and, on Sunday, I was impressed by the small team of workers who constantly worked hard to keep the surface damp in the heat of the day in an attempt to make conditions constant. Ok it did eventually dry out a bit towards the end but the meeting was virtually over by then.

So, instead of flack I'll say 'well done, Newport'. As a neutral I saw two good and entertaining meetings, just what speedway should be about!

Regards

thanks for the compliments folks! it only echoes what most wasp fan know, we've maybe not the best track & stadium, but its not the worst by a mile and the racing is generally what you saw over the weekend , mostly entertaining and ive seen racing at most tracks and i wouldnt swop for many! compliments appreciated tho'

Also looking at the result down at Newport Holder is a better prospect than Batchelor.

couldnt agree more spin king,troys a good rider,but holders a GREAT rider,what a great result for chris on tha wknd,he,s in super form coming into his wrld u/21 semi final in poland,i wish him all the best x 10. :):):)

Sam Simota enjoyed the meeting so much he's already been in contact with Tim Stone for a place in next years meeting.

Sam Simota enjoyed the meeting so much he's already been in contact with Tim Stone for a place in next years meeting.

Maybe he can think about his gate position in the final now to save a bit of time on the day . :lol:

He did make choosing his gate position a bit of an ordeal, but I thoroughly enjoyed his racing.

Not as competitive as usual with quite a few of the regulars at the Elite Pairs or unavailable but it somehow made the meeting more even. I love the Grand Prix weekend and us Newport supporters are so grateful that the GP is held in Cardiff which allows us to have a fantastic weekend.

Like David Howe did last year :unsure:

Like David Howe did last year 

The Grand Prix weekend was moved a week earlier so that could account for the clash of dates there.

Maybe he can think about his gate position in the final now to save a bit of time on the day . :lol:

nice one! He was obviously trying to stop people getting to the EL pairs on time!