British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bomber

Romford Bombers

Nice site, Bomber.

I do have a number of photographs of Romford riders. I'll send them to you when I can.

Good start. Keep it up.

Will send more as I sort it. Can't promise how quick though. You got mail. :)

Don't know if this is current information but there are, at least, a couple of Romford badges on display:

http://www.peter-holtom.fsnet.co.uk/page7.htm

I ran across this site in my capacity as avatar "seamstress" (thanks L :? )

I have been surprised at just how many people have shown an interest in this project! Many thanks to everyone who has contacted me with offers of help.

Once I am in a better position to know exactly what I need in terms of statistics, etc, I'll get back in touch. I am certainly interested in any photo's or press cuttings, etc, that anyone might have plus anything a bit more unusual.

The Website will be getting its own permanent web address in the near future - I'll post details here.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your interest.

Guest KMJ71

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember going to Romford at the end of the 1968 season for the second leg of the Essex Gold Cup against Rayleigh. Were Romford active in 1968?

Keith.

The bombers rode for three seasons at Brooklands stadium Romford from 1969 to 1971. Prior to that they rode at Rochester :!:

Following this they took over at West Ham, when the developer had a change of heart, prior to the redevelopment of the site for housing. :-( :-( sad-smiley-047.gif

Sorry, couldn't let this go, even from New Zealand, without saying that Romford never actually rode at Rochester. They rode their first four matches AS Rochester but the stadium never got planning permission to stage speedway, which is why the team moved to Romford.

Bomber,

I could let you have heat details of the two Hull v Romford matches if you want them.

Excellent website, a lot of research and hard work well done. Nice to see the Brummies in the '71 league table and results page.

ohhh!

Iv'e just been NORBOLDED! :D

Sorry, couldn't let this go, even from New Zealand, without saying that Romford never actually rode at Rochester. They rode their first four matches AS Rochester but the stadium never got planning permission to stage speedway, which is why the team moved to Romford.

AND ALL THE WAY FROM THE ANTIPODES! :D

Well I deserve it blush4.gif

Just a note to let those who are interested know what is going on with the Bombers website.

I am currently ploughing through archive copies of the Romford Recorder newspaper at the local library in order to put some meat onto the bones of the history of the Club that can be found in other publications. Once all of this has been done, the history section will gradually be added.

If anyone has any information on ex-Bombers riders AFTER they rode for Rochester/Romford/West Ham, I shall be interested to hear from you. It would be especially good to know what the ex-Bombers are up to today! If any Bombers riders are out there, please get in touch!

:)

A colleague of mine tells me he used to ride at Romford in the second halves etc!

His name is Alan Willis! can anyone remember him! or is he pulling my leg :shock: :clown

He says he was the only rider (other than a Czech rider) to put himself and his bike over the wall :!: This i could beleive :approve::D

Can anyone shed some light :!:

Bomber

Looking through some of my old programs I came accross Eastbourne Eagles V Romford Bombers 5th October 1969. I can still remember this match pretty well as the Eagles lost 36 - 42, and I was a ten year old who didn't take losing very well. Des Luckhurst scored a 12 point maximum with Ross Gilbertson scoring 11, he dropped his only point in heat 4 to Reg Trott.

I also came accross a couple of 4 team tournement programs with Romford included (1970 & 1971).

If you're interested in a copy I can scan them for you.