British Speedway Forum
spin king

Malcom Simmons

Are you sure it's his signature and he didn't pay somebody to do it for him?

Simmo's biggest crime is getting caught and telling the truth alot top sportmen(and women) have skeltons in their cupboards.Look what happen in the F1 last week that fella ( Shuie) dosn,t try to hide it even and lets not forget Simmo was still a great rider!!!!!! :)

Simmo's biggest crime is getting caught and telling the truth alot top sportmen(and women) have skeltons in their cupboards.Look what happen in the F1 last week that fella ( Shuie) dosn,t try to hide it even and lets not forget Simmo was still a great rider!!!!!! :)

Great rider who was a CHEAT, thats wot people will remember...now which out weighs the other ....let me think...CHEAT

Great rider who was a CHEAT, thats wot people will remember...now which out weighs the other ....let me think...CHEAT

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, and Simmo himself says that not everyone will like or approve of what he's written in his book, but just bear this comparison in mind...

Diego Maradona is remembered as a cheat, for deliberately handling the ball into the England net in the 1986 World Cup...but he is also remembered as one of the greatest-ever footballers on the planet.

All views and feedback on the book are very interesting and appreciated, whether it's positive or negative, so please keep it coming.

Edited by tmc

I've not read the book but whatever it contains will not take away the memory of Simmo team riding with Bettsy in Lynn colours. Pure poetry in motion.

Such a shame very few riders nowadays can even hope to entertain us the way they did in that respect :sad:

Simmo's biggest crime is getting caught and telling the truth

I was never a big fan of his, as when I first got into it he seemed to have a bad attitude to not turning up at testimonials and guest appearances, or it seemed that way at the meetings I went to back then! The very fact that it was him that dropped out of the 1984 British Final made most people suspect straight away that some funny business had gone on. No doubt, people will (and have) condemn him, but if the sport had been totally squeaky clean, he wouldn't have had an awful lot to write about, would he?

Frankly i would give a great deal to read just what Tony Mc has had to leave out for obvious legal reasons.

having said that (half way thorough) the book is an excellent read and well worth the investment. another good'un from the retro stable.

Simmo was a legend, he left out the alleged story of the telephone pole. Maybe not have been true but there again with Simmo who knows.

Wonder what happened to Bill "I'm from the Esat End...did you know that" Barker.

Now Tony mac that would be a book !!

Toodle Pip

Jimbo

I Have now had my backtrack magazine for a week ,read it from cover to cover except the Malcolm Simmons bit ,like tigerblade i have never been a fan of his,but i thought i would give it a go, unfortunately he comes across as a very jealous guy ie. not wanting other English riders to do well, the Terry Betts no.1 thing and now wanting to spread the dirt on other riders, i will give the book a very wide berth

I have now finehed the book and was not shoked in the least by what Simmo ,said IMO he was no worse than many others of his era.He says quite rightly that he was lazy by nature and that was his biggest crime to me. Simmo was I am sad to say a fool in many ways but when I met him he was patient and signed his autograph ,he would also listen to what you had to say aswell. :)

I'm not very good with computers, but I thought I';d try and get a bit involved in this topic!!

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has taken the trouble to leave a message reacting to my new book. I knew it wouldn't please everybody and I can understand those who have had a go at me, even if I dont agree with them all! I have had my say and it's only right that people can come back at me with their opinions. I can't promise to reply to every comment that comes my way, or to spend a lot of time on this site (I have a full-time job to do aswell!!!!), but I will keep looking to see whats being said about my book. Loved the comment by Moxey63, by the way!!! And thanks to those who've stuck up for me so far!

As I said, I just wanted to tell the truth as I see it now, looking back over my whole career. I think I have made a lot of admissions in the book, I know where I went wrong and there are a number of regrets, but we can't turn back the clock now, can we.

One thing I forgot to do and I want to try and put right now, is to thank Mick Potter. He was a bloody good sponsor of mine, providing me with grass-track engines, and I meant to mention in him in the list of thankyous at the start of the book. If your reading this Mick (I think he has a look on here from time to time), many thanks for all you've done for me.

It was great to meet and see so many old faces again when I launched the book at Cardiff. There was one embarassing bit when my old Swindoin promoter Riuchard Vowles came up and bought a signed copy. I recognised him straight away even though it's been 21 years since my one season with the Robins. I wonder if he's read that chapter yet! Sorry Richard and to all Swindon fans.

Cardiff was a fantastic success all round and I really enjoyed the whole occassion. The racing wasn't much cop, but the atmosphere was tremendous and they do put on a brilliant allround show. I think we'll have to find a horn-free zone next year though!!!

Peter Collins was sitting just in front of me and June and it was nice to see PC again. We both agreed that we would have loved to have ridden in such a great arena in our day. it was like being back at Wembley on World final night again.

Thanks again for your interest.

Simmo

Edited by Malcolm Simmons

I have not purchased the book yet but I think it will be on my shopping list!

I was very much a fan of Molly in 1965 when I was 9 but speedway past me by after West Ham closed and it is only recently that I have returned to the sport!

It will be nice to read what young Malcolm got up to. I hope there is a bit in there about his days with the Hammers :wink:

I'm not very good with computers, but I thought I';d try and get a bit involved in this topic!!

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has taken the trouble to leave a message reacting to my new book. I knew it wouldn't please everybody and I can understand those who have had a go at me, even if I dont agree with them all! I have had my say and it's only right that people can come back at me with their opinions. I can't promise to reply to every comment that comes my way, or to spend a lot of time on this site (I have a full-time job to do aswell!!!!), but I will keep looking to see whats being said about my book. Loved the comment by Moxey63, by the way!!! And thanks to those who've stuck up for me so far!

As I said, I just wanted to tell the truth as I see it now, looking back over my whole career. I think I have made a lot of admissions in the book, I know where I went wrong and there are a number of regrets, but we can't turn back the clock now, can we.

One thing I forgot to do and I want to try and put right now, is to thank Mick Potter. He was a bloody good sponsor of mine, providing me with grass-track engines, and I meant to mention in him in the list of thankyous at the start of the book. If your reading this Mick (I think he has a look on here from time to time), many thanks for all you've done for me.

It was great to meet and see so many old faces again when I launched the book at Cardiff. There was one embarassing bit when my old Swindoin promoter Riuchard Vowles came up and bought a signed copy. I recognised him straight away even though it's been 21 years since my one season with the Robins. I wonder if he's read that chapter yet! Sorry Richard and to all Swindon fans.

Cardiff was a fantastic success all round and I really enjoyed the whole occassion. The racing wasn't much cop, but the atmosphere was tremendous and they do put on a brilliant allround show. I think we'll have to find a horn-free zone next year though!!!

Peter Collins was sitting just in front of me and June and it was nice to see PC again. We both agreed that we would have loved to have ridden in such a great arena in our day. it was like being back at Wembley on World final night again.

Thanks again for your interest.

Simmo

Thanks Simmo hope you will post some messsages again on this and other topics. :)

Loved the comment by Moxey63, by the way!!!

Simmo, I was of course only joking.... give us a couple of quid and i'll delete it :oops:

Seriously, though, you were such a stylish performer in the days when every side had at least one out-and-out number one. I also remember the interest you created when you returned for King's Lynn at Belle Vue in '93 - at the age of 47! Didn't you also want to help Poole out a couple of years later?

I remember you during the times when speedway was at it height - the 70s - and you will remain one of the icons of that time.

I will purchase the book, as I like a bit of controversy. I loved John Berry's Confessions and hope your book is in a similar vein.

Not seen the book, but it wouldnt explain how a rider could get to june with a 9.5pt EL average and shows great skill in guiding jimmy nilsen around the track suddenly turns into a novice who ends up in the NL the next year by any chance :P

Biggest cheer at swindon year after was the story that in his his first ride for Hackney Simmo scored 0 at Milton Keynes cos he didnt turn his fuel on :P

Not seen the book, but it will be no surprise to any Swindon fans of the mid 80's to know Simmo was working his average down to go NL in '86.

Biggest surprise to me is that he says only the 0 V King's Lynn was fixed.

His last 6 scores were 2,2,3,3,5,0

Simmo was working his average down to go NL

Hey! Swindon fans, do you think Lee Richardson's using your club the same way? Maybe he'll be Premier in 2007!

Having got this book yet, I'm hoping it might find its way to me for Fathers Day.

Personally I would much rather read a book that told the truth warts and all than a bland, ghosted autobiography. I think Simmo should be applauded for having the guts to be so honest.