British Speedway Forum
spin king

Malcom Simmons

Will be buying this book it looks a good read.

I do feel supporters are being naive if they are surprised by revelations mentioned in this book.Averages are fixed every year,because of the stupid rules imposed by the governing body.Riders have to look out for themselves,or they will be out of work the following season if their average doesn't fit.Speedway has to be one of the easiest sports to rig.It is also a lot easier to bet on speedway these days.Averages & results are fixed all the time.I don't blame the riders.They are just pawns to be manouevred.I am expecting some more 'revelations' to come out in the near future.There's a whole new world out there for some,& i'm affraid it's a darker shade of grey!

Thank you for the comments, I'll try and respond to them...

Firstly, thanks to those with positive messages and glad you are enjoying my book - Fast Gater, spiegal, etc. Fast Gater seems to at least recognise what I was trying to do with the book and how honest I wanted it to be.

semion - Obviously, you don;t live in the real world. If you think I';m the only one who did 'favours' for riders then you are mistaken. It takes more than one bloke to make these 'deals' in the pits. You call me a cheat, but I can assure you I wasnt alone.

Star Lady - nice comments, thanks. I'll be signing the book at the Kings Lynn/Rye House match on Wednesday night, so hopefully you will be there with a lot of other fans who followed the Stars n my day. I've asked Bettsy to come along and he has agreed, so it will be a like a mini reunion.

Tigerblade - I never said i'd do a rider's testimonial and not turn up. If I agreed to be there, I was. As for guest apearances, again if I agreed to take the bookingthen I'd do it. I think you must be thinking of the times I wouldn't got to Newport and Bristol for the reasons explained in the book. But I DID go to those tracks for official team matches for Poole, it was open and individual meetings that I missed when I wasn't contracted to appear. What happened around the 84 British final is also fully covered in the book.

spiegal(James) - telephone poles? - enlighten me...I don;t remember????

tiger74 - I wasn't jealous of other riders, all I meant was that if an English rider won the world final it would mean the best sponsorship deals going their way instead of mine! Take PC as an example...if I was really that jealous of him, would I have helped him with my twin carbs set up before the 77 world final?

Custom House Kid - great to hear from an ex-Hammers supporter, as I have very fond memories of my early seasons with West Ham. There are a couple of whole chapters in the book covering this period of my career, with about 20-odd photos, inc Hurri-Ken, Sverre, Norman Hunter and all the other boys.

moxey 63 - thanks. Yeah, I did talk to Pete Ansell at Poole about a come back but it was those damned averages again. I think I was about 0.2 too much for them to fit me into the team. I woulkdn't put the boot in on Lee Richardson. I've had a go in the book about his poor GP performancesbut everyone goes through a rough spell in their career in the league and he can come through it at Elite League level.

Dekker - Ha-ha!! Glad I gave the Swindon fans something to cheer any way. I must have been thinking of the Robins when I forgot to turn on my fuel tap! At least you appreciated the help I could offer Jimmy in his first season.

frigbo - another Swindon fan, I see. I did cover this business and admitted the average situation affected my results during all of the last month of the 85 season. It all came down to that last match, which explained the big fat zero. I've said how selfish I behaved and felt ashamed. I just hope that speedway fans in general will not remember me for what I did for one month at Swindon and forget the good things about my other 30 years in the sport.

Keep the banter coming...

Simmo

I was considering buying this book until I got a flyer [with order form] from Retro-Speedway. Far from encouraging me, the flyer put off.

Made a tasty snack for my shredder though!

For me Malcolm Simmons was one of the most immaculate, consumate, stylish speedway riders around in his day who gave me a great deal of pleasure to watch racing.

As for skullduggery taking place here and there in speedway I am sure it did as we saw it in action at Halifax one balmy saturday night or was that barmy!!! ;)

I was considering buying this book until I got a flyer [with order form] from Retro-Speedway.  Far from encouraging me, the flyer put off.

Is it not true that all those riders that split the money for rider of the night final were cheating the public.I was in in the pits during many matches in the 70's and you saw things going on between riders all the time.They would not consider it cheating merely doing a bit of business.To hammer Simmo for his crimes mainly admitting them is more than little harsh

I'm left wondering, Fast, why they have been brought into the public domain. Is there a creditable reason for so doing?

I was considering buying this book until I got a flyer [with order form] from Retro-Speedway.  Far from encouraging me, the flyer put off.

Any reason why you took exception to the flyer?

Have to say it did the job in our household, leaving it near the kettle for a day resulting in my better half picking up on the hint and arranging it to be presented by the kids on Sunday morning.(the book that is, not the flyer)

Edited by salty

I'm left wondering, Fast, why they have been brought into the public domain.  Is there a creditable reason for so doing?

Why shouldn't they be in the public domain? These things obviously happened, no one has denied them! Or do you come from the fans pay their money and should be kept in the dark brigade?

Any reason why you took exception to the flyer?

Have to say it did the job in our household, leaving it near the kettle for a day resulting in my better half picking up on the hint and arranging it to be presented by the kids on Sunday morning.(the book that is, not the flyer)

Snap!

Got the book at Cardiff .

Have read it now .

Great read and totally honest .

Best Speedway book too date , well worth reading .

Not seen the book, but it wouldnt explain how a rider could get to june with a 9.5pt EL average and shows great skill in guiding jimmy nilsen around the track suddenly turns into a novice who ends up in the NL the next year by any chance :P

To Simmo's credit, that chapter in his history is fully covered Deks - Like him or not, Simmo has produced the best and most honest book ever published about Speedway.

I await a similar publication from Len Silver. :wink:

I have now read Malcolm Simmons book and think it is an excellent read, brutally honest and i think gives us a better perspective of Malcolms thinking both at the time and with the benefit of hindsight. I should dearly love to be at Kings Lynn on Wednesday to see the two greatest riders ever to have spent a significant time with the club together again. I always thought that Malcolm got his style from Ken McKinlay, who interestingly enough won a number of individual meetings at Kings Lynn in the late 60's, certainly Malcolm's style was similar, and i don't ever remember him getting out of shape on the track. I am sure there are many more stories that Malcolm could tell, that the legal department wouldn't allow, especially about Bill-"Wanna buy a raffle ticket"- Barker, and a few others besides. The only significant other area that he doesn't reveal is his relationship with Martin Rogers towards the end of the 1974 season, and what if any other reasons besides getting out of Terry Betts shadow persuaded him to leave Kings Lynn. I suspect money and Cyril Crane-which Malcolm does elude to, are at least 2 of them.

Any way if you want a good read, go out and buy the book.

Guest cheetahhawk
I await a similar publication from Len Silver. :wink:

Yes ,me too Kevin. That would be a brilliant read.Some of the stories that Uncle Len could tell us would be most enlightening wouldn't they?

I have just finished reading Simmo's book and I have a lot more respect for him than before and I always liked him as a rider. :approve:

To Simmo's credit, that chapter in his history is fully covered Deks
Yes he said that earlier.