British Speedway Forum
spin king

Malcom Simmons

I have just finished reading Simmo's book and I have a lot more respect for him than before and I always liked him as a rider.    :approve:

Might get the book,but won't make any special effort.Unlike you,Simmo was never a favourite of mine,even when he rode for the Dons.Always associated him with other clubs rather than Wimbledon.Nothing against him,mind.I would say the same for a number of riders who changed clubs quite often and on their travels passed through Plough Lane.How the speedway world has changed,they pretty well all do it nowadays :(

Got the book last weekend and as yet have only flicked though it, to be honest Simmo doesn't really make much of his time at Plough Lane, concentrating more on his Lynn, Poole and England days.

I started attending Wimbledon regularly at the end of the '81 season and for the next couple of years for the most part it was a pleasure to watch Simmo in action. One of the few who could regularly come from the back on a track where passing was difficult.

Retro Speedway seem to be raising the bar ever higher with the quality of their publications, looking forward to seeing the Booey book and the next instalment of John Berry's revelations. Well Done Tony Mc.

Don't mean to sound negative.It's not that i disliked Simmo,i was more neutral.For some reason there are riders who i didn't/don't take to(something subconcious?could have been the colour of his leathers :D )and Simmo was one

Know what you mean Iris, I think he had some pretty dull black ones with a bit of yellow on them for most of his time at Wimbledon. Just out of interest who would your fave Dons have been in the last years of top flight Speedway in the early 80's?

Good question.Kelvin Tatum,naturally.Roger Johns,of course.Ferreira was a favourite,but to be honest i'm not sure(my memory isn't perfect) if that was pre or post dropping down a league.Just remember him as a great rider.I also took to John Davis,even though he was obviously someone else also more associated with other teams.Like i said,can't really pin-point why

How refreshing that Malcolm Simmons has taken time out to read and comment on the BSF at a time when so many clubs seem to want to knock the anonamous writers on this website. We are the fans and perhaps our views should be taken on board not criticsed out of hand. Well done, Super Simmo, I hope your book sells well.

I don't normally buy sports books but it looks like I'm gonna have to buy this one.

Simply because having returned to speedway a couple of years ago having supported West Ham in the 60s I was there when (IMHO) he really made the leap into becoming a star rider.

We had a weakened team at Wimbledon and from being an unsure reserve he just came good and was unbeatable all night. That was a turning point and a fantastic meeting.

I'm learning fast about average manipulation so it'll be nice to get some real insight.