British Speedway Forum

HI ALL,

May I start by saying how good the weekend has been. The Racing was good the weather was great, and Cardiff and Newport making you all feel welcome.

Now for my main point of the posting. It may upset some as it did me when I read it. I have just read a story in the local paper to me and for all the people in South Wales, The Western Mail. It is a story from a man called Steve Tucker.

It'sthat time of year again when the capital is besieged by extras from the set of Mad Max

He goes on and puts a bad light on the sport as a hole and all the people who follow it. I have this story to hand if you would like to read more just email me.

Its sad they let people who have no liking for the sport put it in such a bad light and turn a good weekend in to a upsetting one.

I've found the link to the article you talk about! The main thing that comes to mind is that this guy has never actually met a speedway fan in his life! The amount of 'bikers' that go to Cardiff could be counted on one hand for a start....

Obviously a man who'd love to a Sun columnist - if only he had enough talent!!!!! :P:angry:

For anyone else who wants to check it out.......

Steve F...sorry Tucker column

What a cock. The sad thing is people might even believe some of this. Is there an email address for him? I think a little fun is in order :wink::lol:

give um some grief folks

Western Mail and Echo Ltd

Thomson House

Havelock Street

Cardiff CF10 1XR

Switchboard: (029) 2022 3333

Editor: Alan Edmunds (029) 2058 3650

Deputy Editor: Ceri Gould (029) 2058 3665

Readers' letters: readers@wme.co.uk

Newsdesk: Paul Carey and Catrin Pascoe (029) 2058 3654 or (029) 2058 3668;

Fax (029) 2058 3652; e-mail: newsdesk@wme.co.uk

Well, I'm kinda lost for words (Lupus will tell you, this is rare!)

I, for one, object to being labelled a "woman in a baseball cap". And whilst Mr Bobbin' may sometimes look like an extra from Lord of the Rings, he has no tatoos. So there. :lol:;)

I first thought it was tongue in cheek, but then realised that the little *&$%^ was actually serious. I can't imagine the City Council being very upset at us all converging one day a year when the pubs tell them how much beer the Poles can consume (Any truth in the rumour that they drank Weatherspoons dry? :lol: ) or how much money the fast food outlets and other places took in one day? Plus the fact that we're far less trouble than football supporters. I counted 2 policeman on Saturday, patrolling the stadium. And one of them looked about 12 (although that might just be me showing my age). When Mr Bobbin' went to see the Championship playoff 2 weeks ago (he's a Leeds fan for his sins), they seemed to have had every policeman in Wales shipped in to control the trouble, and they had to segregate the opposing fans - only one set of fans allowed in the Castle Gate pub for example. The only thing that approached what I would call bad behaviour (and cheering when Nicki P only got 2 points does not count in my book) was when the Outlaws and I witnessed 2 (male) fans urinating in a public car park.

Gosh - for someone lost for words, I've done quite well :rolleyes:

Journalists.

Right up there with Tax Inspectors, Estate Agents & Politicians.

The worrying thing is the amount of people that believe this sort of tripe.

See something you don't like in print? - Then don't buy it ever again.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thank you all for the replies to the posting. Sorry to upset you all but I think you all should have read what people are saying about us.

I have posted a letter to Mr Tucker asking to go to a speedway meeting and print a letter saying sorry to us all.

I have two favours to ask you all. The first being please write a letter to the paper regarding this story if you feel it is wrong. The second is to past the story on to all the promotors of the sport. I think they all should know why they can not bring in new fans if this is what people are writing about us and the sport.

Edited by Young Saint

Thank you all for the replies to the posting.  Sorry to upset you all but I think you all should have read what people are saying about us.

I have posted a letter to Mr Tucker asking to go to a speedway meeting and print a letter saying sorry to us all.

I have two favours to ask you all.  The first being please write a letter to the paper regarding this story if you feel it is wrong.  The second is to past the story on to all the promotors of the sport.  I think they all should know why they can not bring in new fans if this is what people are writing about us and the sport.

It's only 1 journalist.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the apology.

Most papaers's have got these Littlejohn wannabes on the staff! Their sole purpose is to cause trouble - rabble rousers rather than journalists! Any average 14 year old can play devil's advocate and wind people up. True jounrnalists actually find EVIDENCE and write things that people want to read!

This moron isn't worth the effort! :P

I have send a copy of the story to BSI Paul Bellamy. Lets see what they say about him.

Have to agree withyou Lupus, we have one of those on the Evening Telegraph in Peterborough and the more he gets a reaction the more he likes it. Best to ignore it and that will annoy him even more.

I have send a copy of the story to BSI Paul Bellamy.  Lets see what they say about him.

Posslethwaite was given a copy on Saturday - and by all accounts he was not a happy bunny.

Nor were the staff at our hotel as they happily made 20 or so copies of it for us which were duly handed around to as many clubs as we knew had forums that would post it. Ran out of copies to quickly though. :(