Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Hackney Cheetahs Cycle Speedway

Looking through Friends Reunited for my secondary school the other day I noticed the name Eddie Oram. I had a vague memory that Eddie used to ride cycle speedway so I e-mailed him and asked him if he had any memories of the time. This is what he sent...Warning! There is a twist at the end! :)

"Hackney Cheetahs [A great name for you, eh, cheetahhawk!?] cycle speedway team rode at Well Street Common; they ran 2 teams but I can't remember the league name - I can remember riding in a National KO competition at Hungerford when the club chartered a double decker bus to take us there, bikes on the bottom deck and riders upstairs!

"Racing bibs were blue with a yellow cheetahs head on the front and a yellow number on the reverse

"Star rider and number 1 was Vic Haines, whose father ran the club together with a friend of his, Sid, who marshalled the paddock. Haines' lived in Malvern Road, Dalston and Mr Haines had a Morris Commercial Van in which Vic was ferried to all the competitions, and I believe he did reach the National Individual Riders Final on 1 or 2 occasions

"The other heat leaders for the first team were Tony White, who lived in a house overlooking the common, and Tony Marsh, who came from Tottenham way I think and was a London black cab driver - I used to see him from time to time when I was working in London, but that was almost 30 years ago. The other riders were Brian Hunnable, Ricky Holt, and then I'm out of names

"You would be more interested in the second team, where 2 of my teammates were Ronnie and Terry Russell

"To the best of my knowledge nobody went from cycle speedway to speedway, but Terry has become something of an entrepreneur in the sport, currently running Eastbourne, Swindon and the dormant Exeter - with a business management contract at Oxford. Ronnie tookover the running of Arena Essex this season from Terry

"Another acquaintance of mine, not connected with cycle speedway, is currently in advanced negotiations with Terry to purchase a major shareholding in Eastbourne. Given that you have written about Eastbourne I may be able to give you some story lines, and an introduction, to my friend - assuming he's successful.

"Best wishes

Eddie"

I remember the cycle speedway at Hungerford. I watched a few matches there when I was younger, and a few mates and myself used to ride our bikes round the track sometimes.

When I was a kid the team that rode there was actually called 'Swindon', even though Swindon was about 15 miles away. The track closed down and was allowed to grow over and the Cycle Speedway moved to the Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon proper (must have been late 70s??).

im an ex cycle speedway rider ,not as old as u lot though!!!!,was a great sport ,watered down now bit of a joke these days

Guest cheetahhawk
Looking through Friends Reunited for my secondary school the other day I noticed the name Eddie Oram. I had a vague memory that Eddie used to ride cycle speedway so I e-mailed him and asked him if he had any memories of the time. This is what he sent...Warning! There is a twist at the end! :)

"Hackney Cheetahs [A great name for you, eh, cheetahhawk!?] cycle speedway team rode at Well Street Common; they ran 2 teams but I can't remember the league name - I can remember riding in a National KO competition at Hungerford when the club chartered a double decker bus to take us there, bikes on the bottom deck and riders upstairs!

"Racing bibs were blue with a yellow cheetahs head on the front and a yellow number on the reverse

"Star rider and number 1 was Vic Haines, whose father ran the club together with a friend of his, Sid, who marshalled the paddock. Haines' lived in Malvern Road, Dalston and Mr Haines had a Morris Commercial Van in which Vic was ferried to all the competitions, and I believe he did reach the National Individual Riders Final on 1 or 2 occasions

"The other heat leaders for the first team were Tony White, who lived in a house overlooking the common, and Tony Marsh, who came from Tottenham way I think and was a London black cab driver - I used to see him from time to time when I was working in London, but that was almost 30 years ago. The other riders were Brian Hunnable, Ricky Holt, and then I'm out of names

"You would be more interested in the second team, where 2 of my teammates were Ronnie and Terry Russell

"To the best of my knowledge nobody went from cycle speedway to speedway, but Terry has become something of an entrepreneur in the sport, currently running Eastbourne, Swindon and the dormant Exeter - with a business management contract at Oxford. Ronnie tookover the running of Arena Essex this season from Terry

"Another acquaintance of mine, not connected with cycle speedway, is currently in advanced negotiations with Terry to purchase a major shareholding in Eastbourne. Given that you have written about Eastbourne I may be able to give you some story lines, and an introduction, to my friend - assuming he's successful.

"Best wishes

Eddie"

Erm, well what can I add ?. I thought that they were called Hackney Tigers in 1970(maybe the old memory is going)when I used to go down to watch them ride.

Anyway in 1970/1, I used to go out with one of the Hackney cycle speedway team,David Lye, and well remember Vic Haines,we went to his wedding in1970 and Terry Russell was the best man and the day after the team were riding at Hellingly near Eastbourne I think they lost rather heavily after being at the wedding the night before. :D

Some of the other members of the team that year were Paul Murray who came from Edmonton,Ted and Bob Herring,from Hackney,Kenny Harris from Tottenham I think,John and Steve Goodfellow who also came from Hackney. Every single one of the guys I have named always went to speedway at Hackney,we all loved our Hawks way back then. I think I remember Eddie Oram (I certainly know the name)and Tony Marsh. I think it was Tony that had the nickname Lurch. After Vic Haines got married I thought that him and his wife Janice moved down to Ipswich. I know that David and his family moved to Rayleigh and as far as I know they support Ipswich these days and I think that Vic does too. Wonder how many of them still go to speedway now?

I remember at one meeting at Well Street Common that Ronnie Russell was there as a spectator and got a bit loud,some things never change do they? :D Nothing bad though.

I used to see Hackney Cheetahs round about 1964/5. That's definitely what they were called then...

My first post, although I have read this forum for many years. I did a search for hackney Cheetahs and found this topic. I think I know who Cheetahhawk is but unfortunately cannot remember her name. She is correct with the names mentioned in her post although Ken Harris who was my best mate, was also from Hackney as well. We all used to go to the Wick and stand right at the back of the grandstand, just in front of the bar (very convenient!).

My first season at the Wick was 1966 when a friend used to get me in for nothing as his dad used to work on the gate (sorry Len). I was hooked straight away and my all time favourite Hawk was Bengt Jansson although my favourite rider was Martin Ashby. Only went until the mid 70s and then drifted away into marriage and kids etc. Got involved again in 1995 as I had a Friday off and went to the Grand Prix practice at Hackney and have been going ever since. As I live equal distance between Rye and Arena I cherry pick which meetings to go to although I do not support either team.

I have found an old photo of the Hackney Cheetahs from the early 70’s See below) and the line up is Back row: Vic “Eso” Esperon, Stuart ? (any ideas), Dave Lye, Some bloke who runs speedway, Steve Goodfellow, Vic Haines. Front row: Me (miadfa8), John Goodfellow.

My link

My first post, although I have read this forum for many years. I did a search for hackney Cheetahs and found this topic. I think I know who Cheetahhawk is but unfortunately cannot remember her name. She is correct with the names mentioned in her post although Ken Harris who was my best mate, was also from Hackney as well. We all used to go to the Wick and stand right at the back of the grandstand, just in front of the bar (very convenient!).

My first season at the Wick was 1966 when a friend used to get me in for nothing as his dad used to work on the gate (sorry Len). I was hooked straight away and my all time favourite Hawk was Bengt Jansson although my favourite rider was Martin Ashby. Only went until the mid 70s and then drifted away into marriage and kids etc. Got involved again in 1995 as I had a Friday off and went to the Grand Prix practice at Hackney and have been going ever since. As I live equal distance between Rye and Arena I cherry pick which meetings to go to although I do not support either team.

I have found an old photo of the Hackney Cheetahs from the early 70’s See below) and the line up is Back row: Vic “Eso” Esperon, Stuart ? (any ideas), Dave Lye, Some bloke who runs speedway, Steve Goodfellow, Vic Haines. Front row: Me (miadfa8), John Goodfellow.

My link

PITW! A list of all London cycle speedway clubs and league tables etc from the post-war start of the sport, compiled by cycle speedway historian Robin Richardson, can be found on

http://londonspeedways.proboards.com/index.cgi

You just click on the site to read its data - only need to register to Post messages. PITW!