Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Have to agree with Racer X that Hampel Gollob and Jonnson seem to lack that little bit extra,the only way they will get that is to ride in the best league which of course is in the UK -i would like to see Jagus over here as well.

I thought the GP was one of the worse this year, the track was an absolute disgrace, do the organisers actually want to see racing.

Anyone watching that for the first time wouyld have switched off, its pains me to say it but I agree with Shovlar, It certainly looked like Hancock had 2 wheels over the white line

Good ride by Hancock in the final glad he pulled off the win, he deserves to be second in the standings. He is a true racer and nice man to boot. Hope he gets on the podium in the final standings.

MR Andrey, as a regular to this track, is it always that slick with no dirt?

Probably reminded Antonio of Poole on a Wednesday evening. Although he hasn't had much practice there this year! :P

Must say, the totty was top class tonight though.  Not just at the tapes either.  How much is a return weekend ticket to Latvia?

Gotta agree there macca, thought the start line girls were best this year, particularly the yellow one who kept kissing into the camera,and the one in red , how long was her hair????

As for Kelvin he was dissapointing, he was given the job of disposing of Millard once and for all and didnt grip tight enough.

Obviously saw stardom when the choking commentator said "take over" and loosened his grip.

Best send johnno next time, he will finish the job...........................

ps ...........whats happened to sophie????

Edited by weymouth alicat

Was this meeting as bad as it came over on Sky? We may knock the temporary tracks, but they are heaps better than this fiasco. BSI are in great danger of making out sport a mockery. The only thing that came over good was the startline girl who kept blowing kisses, was she trying to get a part in television of films? To think I really wanted to go to this meeting. Mind you according to Tony Millard, there was was a capacity crowd of 10,000, so probably would not have got in, why were there so may empty seats?

To think I really wanted to go to this meeting.  Mind you according to Tony Millard, there was was a capacity crowd of 10,000, so probably would not have got in,  why were there so may empty seats?

You honestly think Tony Millard got a fact right ?

:blink:

Was this meeting as bad as it came over on Sky? 

Just got back and thought it was a good GP

Daugavpils is an odd place though, the tram to the speedway goes past an old prison where you can see all the inmates looking out from their cells. Perhaps we could see if they have a spare cell for Mr Millard.... its far enough out of the way, my back won't forget the 4 hr train ride from Riga in any hurry!

Got back yesterday after 4 hrs on the train and 50 minutes on the plane. How I wish it could have been the other way.

All the hard work learning the latvian language went down the drain when we realised that we were actually in Russia, and 4/5 of the people were Russian. Tsetri Alus = 4 beers was much more appreciated in Riga than in Daugavpils.

Thought the racing was not so great, especially in the beginning of the meeting. The track was so hard that things seemed to go in slo-mo. Like said earlier that track knowledge would be important, Puksus proved it by being in the races the whole meeting in a field much stronger than his standard. Local fans knew their speedway, once or twice they were cheering their own guys entering the corner when they knew he'd make a pass before the next straight. Tickets were very expensive for the local's, therefor plenty of space in all the stands. Heard that for the regular league speedway it cost's 2-4 latis, when our ticket for the backstraight was for 18 latis.

Plenty of hotels in Daugavpils, we stayed at Biplan, they have their own website which is how I found it. Equivalent or better when compared to any British Travel Lodge or Ibis.

Met a lot of people, sorry to miss ballinger. Had a great party at the Latgola on friday night with a swedish group and a couple supporting Peterborough.

Lindbäck wasn't all that disappointed about his 2nd place, was a bit surprised how well he took it. I knew he would not make it the 2nd time though, won a fiver from my brother who had more faith in him. He did look fast all night, if not the fastest I'll give him that.

Forgot to mention that Hancock shouldn't have even been in the final. In his semi it was clear to see that both wheels went over the white line on the second bend. Really suprised more wasn't made of it by Zagar.

Greg had his wheels on the line not over it. Perfectly fair.

Greg, Antonio, Nicki, AJ, and Scott were all very good value on a crap track. Scott was a little unlucky not to squeeze into the final, and AJ a little unlucky that he was excluded. It was absolutely the correct decision by the ref because he did hit Nicki, but it was just a racing incident. Very much one of those incidents where you wish you could see all four given another chance.

Gotta agree there macca, thought the start line girls were best this year, particularly the yellow one who kept kissing into the camera,and the one in red , how long was her hair????

ps ...........whats happened to sophie????

A good enough reason, imo, to have another Latvian GP, especially if the Championship is already decided and you can concentrate on the sites.

Maybe our Soph got tied up by the start line girls and left in a corner somewhere, just in case she started providing some opposition......?

Went to the GP on Saturday...enjoyed it...but doubt I'll ever go back. The actual track/stadium wasn't bad...racing could have been better...but could certainly have been worse too. The big problem was the town.

It was miles away from Riga, difficult to get to and not a particularly lively place to be on arrival. Then again, I also got nabbed for speeding by those ever-so-smiley local police. 70k per hour limit!!! :blink: Maybe that's the real reason for Lee Richardson's poor showing. :wink:

We all agreed on Poland for our trip next year. :)

So bad track condition was unusual for Daugavpils. Local fans were very angry, because during friday practice track was better than on saturday race. But Ole Olsen ordered to prepare "the asphalt"! :(

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Went to the GP on Saturday...enjoyed it...but doubt I'll ever go back.  The actual track/stadium wasn't bad...racing could have been better...but could certainly have been worse too.  The big problem was the town. 

It was miles away from Riga, difficult to get to and not a particularly lively place to be on arrival.  Then again, I also got nabbed for speeding by those ever-so-smiley local police.  70k per hour limit!!!  :blink:  Maybe that's the real reason for Lee Richardson's poor showing.  :wink:

We all agreed on Poland for our trip next year.  :)

I'll go back, only £3-50 for a very comfy coach ride from riga, friendly people, lovely girls, footy in the afternoon before the meeting and very very cheap food and drink, only disappointment was seeing the locals outside unable to afford the entrance fee, would certainly have been a full house if they had sold cheaper tickets to locals. And to complete a great weekend i got upgraded to business class on way home, while the coventry lads, boggle and mr lindback were slumming it in the cattle truck.

And to complete a great weekend i got upgraded to business class on way home, while the coventry lads, boggle and mr lindback were slumming it in the cattle truck.

No need to show off, you only had an extra 0.5cm leg room in business class and a 1970's curtain to seperate you from the rest of us :) I would fly Air Baltic again though, still better than Ryanair

And who is this Mr Lindback you speak of? - you had "ABL" written on your programme in the semi final and final ;)