British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leg Trailer

Where Are They Now?

Steve Baker lives in the northern suburbs of Adelaide. His family run a truck & bob cat business.

Whilst reading the best pair's thread I saw an entry for Scotland included "the late George Hunter".

Forgive my ignorance but is this the George Hunter that rode for Oxford in the late seventies? if so when did he sadly leave us?

George was one of the best things to happen to Oxford.

what about Andy Mountain, i haven't heard anything of him for about 10 years now, ever since he had that nasty crash and broke his neck.

His family run a truck & bob cat business.

Isn't that called a pet shop?

Selling cats?

It's not?

Oops.

:oops:

Guest cheetahhawk
Whilst reading the best pair's thread I saw an entry for Scotland included "the late George Hunter".

Forgive my ignorance but is this the George Hunter that rode for Oxford in the late seventies? if so when did he sadly leave us?

George was one of the best things to happen to Oxford.

Yes Colin it is the same George Hunter.Sadly I beleive he passed away about 4 or 5 years ago.If I remember rightly we held a minutes silence for him at Oxford.

thankyou cheetahawk. How sad it is, I have fond memories of the 1979 season, following the Cheetahs on their northern tour, Edinburgh, Berwick and Newcastle. George was a really great team man.

My dear Mum used to enjoy watching him and Dave Shields.

Still no-one know what Simon Cross is up to these days? Funny Fella

Oh and Doug Wyer I remember him at Claremont (West Oz) when i was a lad he was awesome might have been a test match and a couple of other meetings.

Ian Cartwright runs the family business, and his son Simon rides for Hull.

Simon also works for the family firm.

Last thing i heard about crossi he was running a pub, not sure if he still is but i bet hes drinking most of the profits!!!!

Don't know about the pub thing, I thought I heard Simon Cross announce at Wolverhampton once that he is now a Painter and Decorator.

Oh and Doug Wyer I remember him at Claremont (West Oz) when i was a lad he was awesome might have been a test match and a couple of other meetings.

He was a lorry driver (even whilst riding, although obviously not simultaneously lol) for donkey's years, might still be. He originates from the same village as me, and when I was at Gosford the day after the Aussie GP last year, Dave Cheshire senior who is a big pal of his came over to talk to Tina and her sister and got talking about him. Couldn't believe it, I was 10,000 miles away from home and talking to an Aussie about my own village!! Although I would say I know his sort of nephew Paul better, he had a dabble at riding a few years ago but never got above Conference level.