British Speedway Forum

My rather long point is TWOS this meeting does actually mean something to a lot of people. Yes it probably won’t bring in the biggest crowd in the history of Rye House Speedway on Saturday night.

Edna Harding will see riders racing in memory of her son. At whatever level of speedway, if it’s grass routes Conference or Elite League GP super stars, it is still speedway.

Yes fair comments, but some fans have to pick and choose meetings due to financial constraints etc. (especially when trying to follow two Rye teams).

Personally can not attend due to other commitments, but hope its a good evening's racing in memory of Vic, who gave us plenty of entertainment in his time at Hackney.

Edited by Rob S.

Guest cheetahhawk

I wouldn't mind who is in the meeting,as long as my health will let me I will be there along with my family,two of whom weren't even born when poor Vic got killed.My children all talk about about our happiest days in speedway at the Wick.

I will never ever forget that night at Hackney and intend to be at Rye House on Saturday to remember one of Hackney's favourite sons.

I wouldn't mind who is in the meeting,as long as my health will let me I will be there along with my family,two of whom weren't even born when poor Vic got killed.My children all talk about about our happiest days in speedway at the Wick.

I will never ever forget that night at Hackney and intend to be at Rye House on Saturday to remember one of Hackney's favourite sons.

well said - will see you there

Think Mr Silver has missed a trick here. I will be in the Rye House pub watching the England v Portugal game, why has Rye not opened up early so people can watch it on the televisions in the stadium's after all it's on BBC1 or ITV1....

Im looking forward to the Mike Lee vs Len Silver race and the Ice bike track record attempt but saying that im not sure whether to go there or watch the England game?

I think that either Eddie or Stevie will win it this year with Neath not far behind!! :)

My rather long point is TWOS this meeting does actually mean something to a lot of people.

Didn't mean to cause offence, Vic Harding died before I even knew what speedway was! I'll still be going, just to see Len Silver on a speedway bike and the ice bike track record attempt.

Yes fair comments, but some fans have to pick and choose meetings due to  financial constraints etc. (especially when trying to follow two Rye teams).

I know what you mean Rob. I've taken to hiding youngest wizzling in the boot of the car under a blanket, just to save £3 admission. Gonna try and get BOTH wizzlings in the boot this weekend ;)

Think Mr Silver has missed a trick here. I will be in the Rye House pub watching the England v Portugal game, why has Rye not opened up early so people can watch it on the televisions in the stadium's after all it's on BBC1 or ITV1....

Mildenhall did the exact same thing last weekend.

Edited by The Wizard Of SHADWELL

Just to confirm that Malcolm Simmons will be at Rye this Saturday to sign copies of his new book, SIMMO: THE WHOLE TRUTH, which will be available for £15.99.

Simmo actually had his very first speedway rides at the Rye training school in the winter of 1962-63, so this return visit by him is appropriate.

Oh, and he also used to prepare the Rye track for Ronnie Russell in the early 90s!

As for the England game...now no-one likes their football more than I do but it will surely be possible for most people who want to see the Portugal game (well, most of it) AND the Vic Harding Memorial to watch BOTH.

The football kicks-off at 4pm, some three hours before the speedway is due to start.

For those who have further to travel, but who are prepared to arrive early, I'd think they'll be showing the football on telly in the Rye House pub. Or if not, there will be plenty of others pubs very near to, or en route to, the track who'll be screening the game.

Besides, who wants to endure another 90 minutes of self-torture, mind-numbing rubbish from the inept Eriksson's overhyped and overpaid 'players' against a team of diving cheats and prima donnas?

Final option: the 'highlights' (of Portugal's win) will be shown later that night, at around 11.30pm.

Bring on the speedway and let's turn out to support a meeting in honour of a great guy and a very good team-man who was on the brink of really good things at The Wick before fate intervened on June 8, 1979.

I hope to see plenty of blue-and-white checked Hawks scarves and badges in evident on Saturday night. I might even wear the one Dave Mort kindly gave me!

(Now Uncle Len, how much do you owe me for that piece of PR!!!!)....

Edited by tmc

I realise it is a bit late in the day now but I do not know why Len didn't opt to run this meeting on Sunday instead. Okay he wouldn't have known for sure that England would be playing until last Sunday but is was always a possibility as the draw for matches had been planned a long way in advance. Also there is now the mouth watering prospect of Brazil v France in the evening. There were never going to be matches scheduled for Sunday so this would have prevented any clash of loyaties.

Hi all !

I hope the meeting is a success, Vic was nice guy.

Nice people should not be forgotten.

I was riding that night in the 4 team tournamentfor Wimbledon.

My ex-brother-in-law Steve Weatherley was paralysed in the same accident.

it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

I was sitting in the changing rooms having finished my rides taking off my leathers and listening to the race start and the bikes going round the crowd cheering then nothing it was just quiet.

One of the riders came in and said that he thought the both of them where really badley injured. i rushed out on to the track the carnage was terrible and the rest is known.

The rest of the night we spent at Whipps Cross Hospital I can remember when the ambulance arrived with Vic's body terrible his poor family.

Steve had survived but he was paralysed at that time from the neck down.

I can still remember that night in the waiting room at Whipps Cross both Vic's family and Steves all in shock.

i asked Steve many years afterwards if he regretted racing seeingthe way he ended up being paralysed and in a wheel chair, he said no he loved racing and would do it again if he could tomorrow.

My son Lee was born about a month before the accident..........and now he is racing..........

I cant be there i am working in the Middle East but i wish them all well for the meeting.

Two really good guys who gave a lot to give entertainment to others and a sport they both loved.

We should never forget their sacrifice.

Colin Richardson

Thanks Colin for detailing your graphic memories of that fateful night. I don't think any of us present at Waterden Road on that night will ever forget it and I confess that reading your post sent a shiver down my spine. It also brought memories flashing back of other fatal speedway crashes I've had the misfortune to witness in my 40 years involvement in the sport and will never forget being present (at the rider's father's insistence) when doctors at a hospital broke the news that the rider in question was brain dead and requested permission to switch off the life support system. And having to give evidence at the inquest into the death of a rider in a track crash was something that is also indelibly lodged in my memory. I have also seen the pain and suffering injured riders go through in their determination to regain fitness and thus return to racing at the earliest opportunity.

Too often riders are glibly critcised through this and other mediums but, I suppose, that will never change.

As to Steve, some years back Re-Run videos produced a "History of Eastbourne Eagles" tape and I went to Steve's house and recorded an interview for same. I was somewhat staggered when he revealed that, despite being paralysed, he had started racing cars!

Well said Colin Richardson! Never thought I would here my self say or even write that! Better get out the smelling salts! Just goes to show with old age you mellow.

Steve Weatherly as we all know, suffered terrible injuries in that crash. I’ve never spoken to Steve, although I have seen him several times especially at Eastbourne. The guys, who started running the Harding Memorial in memory of Vic, their thoughts are very much with Steve as well I’m sure.

Finally, how important we support the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund. When your track holds a collection please give as generously as possible, it may just help one of your riders!

Im looking forward to the Mike Lee vs Len Silver race and the Ice bike track record attempt but saying that im not sure whether to go there or watch the England game?

I think that either Eddie or Stevie will win it this year with Neath not far behind!! :)

Doubt Ed will be at Rye as he has his world under-21 semi in Poland on the Sunday.

Doubt Ed will be at Rye as he has his world under-21 semi in Poland on the Sunday.

Ed's riding for Eastbourne in the KOC on Saturday night.

The stadium will open at 3pm and the footy will be shown in the bar, hooray!

Bring on the speedway and let's turn out to support a meeting in honour of a great guy and a very good team-man who was on the brink of really good things at The Wick before fate intervened on June 8, 1979.

I hope to see plenty of blue-and-white checked Hawks scarves and badges in evident on Saturday night. I might even wear the one Dave Mort kindly gave me!

The quality of the line up doesn't really matter to me, if The VHM Meeting were to be held at Glasgow I would walk there with my Hackney Flag for Vic!