Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Tommy Jansson

In the next issue, we wil be starting a regular, new series on riders who gave their lives to the sport. Tommy Jansson (whose biography we are currently in the process of producing, with a late July on-sale date) wil be the first rider featured.

We would like to accompany our story on Tommy with memories and stories about him from our readers, so please post anything of relevant interest here, or, if you'd prefer, send me a private message. Ideally, though, I'd like to use the full names of the posters (with their city or town location) in the actual issue of Backtrack.

For those who might not know all of Tommy's basic career details, he rode briefly for Wembley Lions in 1971 before joining Wimbledon in 1972. After all the commuting Swedes were banned from the BL in 1974, TJ returned to Plough Lane for the 1975 and '76 seasons.

In his native Sweden, Tommy rode only for Smederna, his home-town team from Eskilstuna, that was run by his father, Joel, and where his elder brother Bo also rode in the early 70s.

He was tragically killed during a World Championship qualifier in Stockholm on May 20, 1976 after tangling with Bengt Jansson's brother, Lars.

Perhaps you knew Tommy personally, or have a special personal memory of him that you think might be worth sharing with other readers? Or maybe just a view of his all too brief career?

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to contribute to our special Tommy Jansson memorial feature.

Edited by tmc

In the next issue, we wil be starting a regular, new series on riders who gave their lives to the sport. Tommy Jansson (whose biography we are currently in the process of producing, with a late July on-sale date) wil be the first rider featured.

We would like to accompany our story on Tommy with memories and stories about him from our readers, so please post anything of relevant interest here, or, if you'd prefer, send me a private message. Ideally, though, I'd like to use the full names of the posters (with their city or town location) in the actual issue of Backtrack.

For those who might not know all of Tommy's basic career details, he rode briefly for Wembley Lions in 1971 before joining Wimbledon in 1972. After all the commuting Swedes were banned from the BL in 1974, TJ returned to Plough Lane for the 1975 and '76 seasons.

In his native Sweden, Tommy rode only for Smederna, his home-town team from Eskilstuna, that was run by his father, Joel, and where his elder brother Bo also rode in the early 70s.

He was tragically killed during a World Championship qualifier in Stockholm on May 20, 1976 after tangling with Bengt Jansson's brother, Lars.

Perhaps you knew Tommy personally, or have a special personal memory of him that you think might be worth sharing with other readers? Or maybe just a view of his all too brief career?

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to contribute to our special Tommy Jansson memorial feature.

As well as the article on Tommy, could you give us a sneaky preview as to wha telse we can expect in the next issue.

Thanks for asking, Spin King. Issue 15 will be posted out next weekend...and it includes a brighter look of eight pages in full colour, plus other new features. The cover price increases by 50p, but NOT to subscribers! It will continue to cost only £16 for a year's subscription in the UK, £22 in Europe and £30 Rest of World.

Contents of issue 15 include:

TOMMY JANSSON, including eyewitness accounts from those who were at the track in Stockholm that fateful night in May 1976, including the other rider involved - Lars Jansson. Quotes too from Anders Michanek, Bengt Jansson – and Tommy's parents, Joel and Inga-Lill, and his brother Bosse. Peter Collins also gives his views on Tommy.

It's the first of our new, regular 'Lest We Forget' features on riders who paid the ultimate price.

Also in this time...

DEFUNCT TRACKS: LEICESTER

ERIC BOOCOCK

JAN STAECHMANN

SCOTT AUTREY/AMA DISPUTE

PAUL TYRER

TERRY STONE

LEW STRIPP – the ref in charge of the infamous 1985 British Final. Should it have gone ahead?

GRAHAME DAWSON

REMEMBER...1977?

...and enter our new MASTERMIND QUIZ. How much do you REALLY know about speedway in the 70s & 80s???? If you're smart, you could win two tickets to the 2007 British GP...

BACK COVER COLOUR – PENHALL, GUNDERSEN & NIELSEN

So why pay 50p more than you need to at the track? Sign up now, save yourself £5 on the new cover price and have every copy of Backtrack delivered direct to your door BEFORE it goes on sale at tracks. You know it makes sense!

Tony Mac

I used to go to Plough Lane regularly in the 70's so saw a bit of Tommy Jansson on track, but my lasting memory of him was pushing through the crowds carrying an engine after the 1975 World Final. 'Excuse me'. 'Thank you'. 'Sorry'. Such a polite young man with a magic twinkle in his eye.

You couldn't call me a fan as I was following a young Australian from Rooty Hill at the time, but I will never forget how I felt when I heard the news of his passing. So very sad and waste of such a young talent. He could have starred for years.

God bless Tommy and Rest In Peace. I'm sure you're racing round the tracks up there and having fun with our other dear departed friends.

I just recieved my copy of this FANTASTIC book through the post and havn't been able to put it down.. It has made me cry tears of sadness, joy and embarrassment ( have you seen that "love poem" ).

This book has captured the very essence of what Tommy was about, it brings back the most wonderful memories and also might explain to some people who were not fortunate enough to see Tommy ride just why he was and always will be so very special..

I would HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone, its an emotional read but I guarentee that you won't be able to put it down.

My eternal gratitude goes to Magnus and Tony for making me feel 13yrs old again!!!!!!!

Shannon

I just recieved my copy of this FANTASTIC book through the post and havn't been able to put it down.. It has made me cry tears of sadness, joy and embarrassment ( have you seen that "love poem" ).

This book has captured the very essence of what Tommy was about, it brings back the most wonderful memories and also might explain to some people who were not fortunate enough to see Tommy ride just why he was and always will be so very special..

I would HIGHLY recommend this book to everyone, its an emotional read but I guarentee that you won't be able to put it down.

My eternal gratitude goes to Magnus and Tony for making me feel 13yrs old again!!!!!!!

Shannon

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT. :cry::)

Finished reading this wonderful book last night. I started reading it about a week ago. Very true that once you start reading it you can't put it down.

I was only 10 years old at the time of Tommy's death, but I can remember very clearly my dad coming home from work one lunchtime and telling my mum and I that he'd just heard the news of Tommy's death on the radio. A very sad time. Although I have no memories of watching Tommy ride at King's Lynn, I'm sure I must have had the pleasure at some point before he died, even though as a 10 year old my mind was probably on other things.

I can thoroughly recommend this book to anyone, I was in tears as I read the last few pages of it last night. A truly wonderful insight into the allbeit short life and career of a once brilliant talent in our speedway world.

RIP Tommy Jansson.

Favourite rider of all time, I have had an oil painting hanging on my wall for the last 30 years. It was painted by Sheffield schoolboy back in 1977 approx 13 x 11 framed

Very good painting taken from a Mike Patrick Wimbledon photo TJ=A1 on his reference page

I have been thinking of selling this item for a while now but have no don’t know if they would be much interest

Will send a photo of the picture to any interested fans