British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
philcrumpisgod

World Title Pretenders

I don't want to see this turn into a philcrumpisgod v steve shovlar post regarding the ups and downs of Jason and Tony, but now that Tony is about to disappear into the sunset, who are going to be the main protagonists over the coming years? Personally, I reckon that if Jason retains the hunger and desire he has shown this season he can go on at this level for another 5 or more years. Assuming that he remains injury free (big ask I know) he could win several more titles and approach or even emulate Ivan and Tony's record. His nearest challenger at the moment is Greg and I believe he is already 35 and still racing his heart out, surely that means that Jason could easily continue until 2010/2011. If he does, he will surely create records for most GP's ridden, most GP's won, most points won, most finals etc. Should this happen he would surely go down as the greatest GP rider in history. Of the new breed, I would like to see Antonio get himself right up there and, longer term, Lewis Bridger to establish himself on the GP circuit with a view to becoming World Champion in the not too distant future. What do you all think and who do you think is going to challenge seriously in the coming years?

Edited by philcrumpisgod

I think that Antonio will mounting a serious challenge in a couple of years...but undoubtedly Crumpy is the man to beat now and in the foreseeable future.

Think that Andreas Jonsson can also become more conssitent in the future if he stays away from bit part British racing and focuses on Sweden, Poland and GP's

Other than that...Hampel is improving and looking further ahead maybe Lindgren, Kolodziej, Zagar could be in with a shout.

As for the Brits...Kennett, Wright, etc need to make the big "gamble" and step into full tiem elite league racing and look to ride abroad aswell instead of messing about in the Premier for ever if they are to ever seriously be of a good standard in GP racing.

Bridger needs to stay focused and keep going.

Maybe Stead is Britains only chance in the coming years, but can't help but think if he was ever going to be good enough, he would already be in the GP series...but instead spent too long in the Premier League.

Other than that you're looking at the real youngsters like Josh Auty and Brendan Johnson before you get to any seriously talented Brits.

Guest schumifan

Bjarne Pedersen had reached the semis of the last three GPs and is looking quite impressive. Lindback does have something there if he could just settle down a bit, and if Hans Andersen makes it into the series next year and maintains current form he should be one to look out for.

Edited by schumifan

Bjarne Pedersen had reached the semis of the last three GPs and is looking quite impressive.

I don't think anyone notices Bjarne. He is so quiet and just gets on with it.

Hans for future World Champion :approve:

scott nicholls............................what ? :blink: im just being hopefull :D

I still think Nicki can do it.I agree that if Hans gets in(which he should) and maintains this seasons form he should be a top contender,but Nicki is Denmarks no.1.No doubt in my mind.

I don't want to see this turn into a philcrumpisgod v steve shovlar post regarding the ups and downs of Jason and Tony,

Think it's more of a case of philcrumpisgod (I hated typing that!) taking over from Steve Shovlar!! :wink:

Think it's more of a case of philcrumpisgod (I hated typing that!)  :wink:

Think she would prefer to type philcrumpranovermyuncleshead :P

I don't want to see this turn into a philcrumpisgod v steve shovlar post regarding the ups and downs of Jason and Tony, but now that Tony is about to disappear into the sunset, who are going to be the main protagonists over the coming years?

If Crump retains his current form, no-one. It's a bit like Rickardsson in the late 90s. There just wasn't anyone consistently at the highest level to challenge. I can see Crump winning the next 3 titles (this year included) assuming he stays clear of those nasty injuries, which he has been quite fortunate with in recent years.

There's some who aren't far off (Zagar, Lindback, et al) but at the moment lack that something. Their time will come.

Crump's biggest challenge next year will be from Hans Andersen. Being left out of the GP was the best thing that could've happened to him. Hopefully he will now develop some of that unfilled potential. Remember a race in Denmark when he was a youngster. Led the race, fell, got up, passed the others and won it quite comfortably in the end.

As for the Brits, oh dear. Nicholls is as good as he'll ever get. Scrap into the odd final, and numerous semi's but will never mount to anything extraordinary.

Richardson is just poor at this level. If he wasn't a Brit, he wouldn't be in it. The sooner an up and coming Brit (read: Bridger) can move up and take his place, the better.

Nicki Pedersen and Greg Hancock are the only peole who could be able to beat Jason Crump.

Do you think I've previously wound the king of the wind ups then?

Nah takes a lot to wind him up :wink:

Yeah but she can't spell that :D

Easy tiger! What have I done to upset you then?

Think she would prefer to type philcrumpranovermyuncleshead  :P

:lol: Hilarious as always Iris ............ :angry:

The way that Jason is riding he seems in control, but very much on the edge. Good luck to him, he deserves more titles. One thing I have learned over the years, is nothing is sure in Speedway, and one of the other riders in the GP's could find the extra step needed to take the series in the near future.