British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest andyo

Elite League Too Strong for the Good of Speedway?

Guest andyo

so this is the view expressed by CVS in an article in todays Times. very rare to see any speedway in that paper but what do poeple feel about this.

are we in the same situation as in 1964 when the national league was down to 8 and had to amalgamate with the provincial league to survive.

this led to a weakening of teams as heat leaders ahd to be given to the wekers side. so make the most of this year pirates fans.

Judging by the comments of some of the struggling EL team promotors YES it is too strong. Didn't I read in the Star that one promotor thinks that both the EL and PL need to be weakened. He said that teams in the PL struggle also to be competative, I take it the ones down the bottom of the league?

It was CVS in the Star as well, I assume the same interview as in The

Times. For once he seems to be making sense, have 12 teams in the

Elite, and the stand alone Conference teams in the PL. Costs to be brought

down ( GP Riders as squad members perhaps ). He states planning has

begun lets hope so. As I've said before I would love the people who care

(us) to have an input.

Judging by the comments of some of the struggling EL team promotors YES it is too strong. Didn't I read in the Star that one promotor thinks that both the EL and PL need to be weakened. He said that teams in the PL struggle also to be competative, I take it the ones down the bottom of the league?

I read that too - There's supposed to be a massive gulf between clubs - where?

PL Bottom versus top:

Reading 44

IoW46

Not a massive gulf in my book...

Similar fixture in the EL:

Ipswich 33

P'boro 57

I think I can tell which league has got the problems and I suggest that CVS would see better if he opened his eyes....

and the stand alone Conference teams in the PL.

So he would like teams like us to move into the Premier?

Where exactly does he think we are going to find the spare cash to finance a move up?

We have to pay the largest stadium rent in the country and we are only just cutting even now, so how he expects us to shell out hundreds of pounds per week extra in paying wages, I just don't know.

Before we closed down in 1991 the club were losing £2,500 per meeting, I'd dread to think what it would be now if we moved up.

To move up could mean financial suicide to Wimbledon, I would rather stay in the Conference League if it meant watching my beloved Dons.

Unless of course he would like to share out the SkyTV money to ALL 31 clubs.

What is it, £1,000,000 per year deal over 5 years, works out at just over £32,000 per team per year. Blimey that wouldn't even come near to covering our rent for a season!!

Reading 44 IoW46

I spose he meant looking at the league table ...........

Sheffield 21 points from 15 matches and Newcastle 4 points from 10 matches??

Thas going by the BSPA website

Reading 44 IoW46

I spose he meant looking at the league table ...........

Sheffield 21 points from 15 matches and Newcastle 4 points from 10 matches??

Thas going by the BSPA website

Trees - well that would be a daft way (IMHO) of looking at it because there's always going to winners and losers in any league (and especialy one as big as the PL)

The key is how close the top and bottom sides are when it comes to meting each other surely?

There's no doubt the game needs an overhaul and planning already is a sensible decision (so in reality it's not actually happening obviously ;) ) but the bit of that article I didn't quite understand was the refference to the disparity of teams in the PL.

The Falcons came to us and got hammered (excuse pun) but they were clearly having an off night and when we went down there we were beaten. Even looking at Newcastle's current position it doesn't compare to the state of Belle Vue this year comparitively.

I do think the PL is a highly competative and close league, it's also a pretty sound product. BSPA could do a lot worse than basing two leagues along PL lines with perhaps less concern for GP riders.

The only problem with that is that Sky ain't going to buy it, it's all about the GP for them I'm afraid.

I do think the PL is a highly competative and close league, it's also a pretty sound product. BSPA could do a lot worse than basing two leagues along PL lines with perhaps less concern for GP riders.

The only problem with that is that Sky ain't going to buy it, it's all about the GP for them I'm afraid.

Let them have it.

As much as I enjoy Cardiff, I would settle for more regular speedway and some new opponents.

Someone got to say it egg and chips :D:D:D

I do not believe that the PL have a problem with their set up (tell me if I'm wrong),so if it aint broke why fix it?

CVS it would appear is trying to look after No1 AGAIN-1GP rider for 2004 and maybe stealing some quality reserves for the season i.e Neath,Stead,Allen and Greives no wonder he wants teams to weaken-failing this he'll just change the play off dates

But don't think I'm cynical ,he has the whole at speedway at heart not just Wolves (my a***)

So we weaken the teams, and rule out more world class riders. Yeah, good move :? :evil:

If Britain is going to remain the place to be in world speedway you can't rule out the big boys before a wheel has turned.

;):P

British Speedway needs a complete overhaul and a way forward presented. This should be undertaken by someone who has no bias to any club. I would suggest Tony Steele lead a team of people to do this, not CVS or any of the other muppets who are in Speedway for themselves or their clubs only.

Unless of course he would like to share out the SkyTV money to ALL 31 clubs.

What is it, £1,000,000 per year deal over 5 years, works out at just over £32,000 per team per year. Blimey that wouldn't even come near to covering our rent for a season!!

And worse than that, you have to reduce the £1,000,000 by 20% because of commission paid.

So we weaken the teams, and rule out more world class riders. Yeah, good move :? :evil:

If Britain is going to remain the place to be in world speedway you can't rule out the big boys before a wheel has turned.

;):P

Weaken the teams? How so?

The way I see it the GP superstars are only really up for team outings every other week, often looking like they've their eye on the next upcoming GP. Team riding's a thing of the past with frequent 'groin strains' and no shows in heat 15.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but the EL's in trouble the way things are.