British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest andyo

Elite League Too Strong for the Good of Speedway?

In my opinion the only way forward is 3 leagues as at present,the top 2 leagues equal team numbers.Conference as many teams as possible,preferably with most of the top 2 leagues having teams even if only for challenges.Top 2 leagues to have a squad system with min+max points limit,no doubling up or down except for conference riders to league above.No guests use R/R or 1 or more of your squad to suit requirements.Promotion and relegation as it is the only way to make the papers and TV take the sport seriously.Finally an independent person to oversee the political side of the sport such as Adam Crozier when in charge of the fa.

PS. a personal wish would be that British gp held as last one of the season so we can see the Champion crowned+some type of pairs/4 team tournament to be held at Cardiff on the sunday with no gp riders.As it seems to me if your'e going to spend x amount of £s laying a track why not get 2 meetings out of it,i'm sure many fans would stay over as lot's already do for another meeting involving their "local heroes"

Team riding's a thing of the past

How true is that? I think that is CVS idea of 12 teams in the EL then sky would benifit, more fans on the race night maybe? or even more viewers? Even I'm sick of watching Poole Cov and Ipswich week in week out. Or maybe if sky focused on the PL it would get more intrest.

Whilst on the subject of sky a positive note that a work collegue actually sat and watched four races of the Panthers V Oxford match and commented the next "That Pole who've got is really good" In reference to Pebe. A speedway Vigin last week, wanting to watch a live match the next. So sky does have it's good points. 8)

Guest crumpy fan

yes both el and pl are 2 strong for there own good but there still gonna stay as 2 different leagues.

as the pl won't let some of are teams in aka wolves eastbourne as they have screwed the premier league over before.

so we will still have the 2 leagues we just gotta hope more pl teams come up to the el and no more el teams will drop down but what happens in speedway happens for it's best intrest

crumpy fan

pb to win the league

British Speedway needs a complete overhaul and a way forward presented. This should be undertaken by someone who has no bias to any club. I would suggest Tony Steele lead a team of people to do this, not CVS or any of the other muppets who are in Speedway for themselves or their clubs only.

If his decision making and forward planning are anything like his refereeing then I am afraid we are doomed.

as the pl won't let some of are teams in aka wolves eastbourne as they have screwed the premier league over before.

Whoa there mate...can you explain this one to me?! :?

Firstly, can we not talk about 'Wolves' and 'Eastbourne' - the promoters are the ones who make decisions NOT the Clubs!!!

Secondly, If you are talking about the last time the leagues amalgamated (1995/96) then you are WRONG that Wolves 'screwed the pl over' - CVS was one of the 'top' league promoters who was willing to go with the idea of onew 8.5 plus guy per team and a limit of 40 (or was it 38?) points for each team. this proposal was veto'd by Cloin Pratt (Cradley) and Alan Ham (Bradford who didn't want to 'choose' between their top two... :x :roll:

If you're NOT referring to this, then can you explain what you mean by 'screwed over the pl'?! :?:

Bottom line is, all 3 Leagues need each other, and cannot survive on their own. For the Good of the Sport in general, something needs to be done, and if the EL can be made attractive enough for a few other Clubs to give it a try, and the PL attractive enough for a couple of Conference only Clubs to give it a try, then that has to be good for the Sport in Britain.

Trouble is with Squad systems, as mentioned above, is that unless Teams are drastically reduced in strength across the board, there are not enough riders to go around, hence doubling up/down.

Anyway, some thoughts for you.

EL...

* Aim for 12 Clubs.

* Max Points limit 40/42.

* Max Heatleader combined average of 23/24 points ( this will ensure some rider movement).

* 2 British reserves, and alter race format to help them ( as JP suggested).

* NO GP rider restrictions, but Clubs to ride on GP weekends.

* Clubs to sign PL riders as cover for GP riders ( double up).

* IF uneven balance of GP riders missing, then RR applies.

* Squad systems ok, providing they are PL/CL riders, or overseas riders who are not contracted to another Team, and fit into averages. ie: Oxford using Lubos Tomiceck for League cup matches.

:roll:

Guest andyo

this is all too complicated and what needs to be done is get back to basics as was done in the 65 season and the amagamation of the national and provincial leagues. a situation more analogous to the premier and elite set-up today.

heat ledaers would have to be spead around, and guest's for all but the main 3 riders banned and then only allowed for injury or illness. no guests for second strings or reserrves and no guest for gp riders on gp weekneds or on inetrnationsl durtt back in the usa.

this would force and encourage promotrer to use more british juniors and sign riders who they know will not have the gp as their main consideration.

hamill this season is a case in point.

it will come to the stage where it will be the gp or the league that riders have to choose between and the league must look after itself and provide a continuinty of teams without all this mess that was epitomised by the poole coventry guests last night.

beckham doesnt play for aresenal on his day off to replace an injured bergkamp and this should never happen in speedway.

i know this is an old argument but the use of guest and r/r has beocme farcical.

forgive bad typoing

Andyo, trouble with 1 Big league is that some Clubs could not even afford 1 EL rider, let alone a couple to be competative. I think it would be an unworkable combination.

Guest andyo

thats the way it was back in the 60's but they had no choice then and they don't have any choice now.

maybe 2 divisions as there are more tracks now, but only poole and coventry can afford gp riders in bulk as it is and next season they will be playing together and alone if things don't change drastiaclly. clube will have to ride with riders they can afford and if that means no gp stars then so be it.

If the 2 top leagues were to amalgamate, and a limit of 2 GP riders imposed on each team, it would make it far easier to have promotion/relegation, without teams who go up or down having to change their squads wholesale. That in turn makes speedway a much more viable product to the likes of Sky.

It would imho be better to improve the standard of the current PL, rather than just drag down the standard of the EL. If both divisions could have access to the Sky tv money, it may allow an equivalency of pay scales across the two main divisions. If the lesser teams could then afford a Peter Karlsson or Lukas Dryml the standard goes up. Riders are less concerned about dropping a division, more stability ensues.

Just some thoughts...

I imagine one or two EL promoters won't want to contemplate such large changes though.

Guest andyo

they won't have much choice.

and if you look at some elite teams now, they are permanently staffed by part time pl riders anyway. like poole with a pl team plus 3 top gp riders.

they won't have much choice.

and if you look at some elite teams now, they are permanently staffed by part time pl riders anyway. like poole with a pl team plus 3 top gp riders.

I entirely agree andyo.

With top riders riding too many meetings and picking up more injuries, it seems the promoters are taking the easy option of using the PL as an unlimited source of very short term contract labour. Who can blame them? They don't have to negotiate terms & conditions nor even worry about whether they too get injured.........there's plenty more to choose from !!

Of course this leaves the top PL guys also riding too many meetings, increasing the risk of injury. Perhaps more so as they're constantly trying to prove themselves.