British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stats

Western Australian Championship

PLENTY OF HISTORY IN WA TITLE

By Ken Brown

The Western Australian Solo Championship is one of the longest running Speedway titles in the entire world. It was first held during the opening season of the Claremont Speedway at meeting number 12 on Saturday November 26, 1927. A report in The West Australian newspaper the following Monday read as follows-

“On Saturday night the State Motorcycling Championship, over 2 miles (5 laps) was decided at the Claremont Speedway, when the W.A. Motor Cycling Association conducted an electric light meeting. There was a splendid attendance and the programme was productive of some good racing. The Final of the State Championship promised to be thrilling and so it was. Schlam gained the jump out from the gun, but Kinnear sprang a surprise by chasing and heading him.

His advantage was short lived, however, for Datsun darted through on the inside as they passed the stand for the first time, and established a lead of about twelve yards from Schlam, who was just in front of Kinnear. With three-quarters of the second lap covered, and while the riders were travelling at a great rate, Datsun came off and Schlam went on to win comfortably over Kinnear.”

Sig Schlam, known as “The Trackmaster”, became the very first winner of the WA Solo Championship over Ted Kinnear and Charlie Datsun. Tragically Schlam was killed in a race accident at the Perth Speedway (WACA Ground) on November 1, 1930. This Sunday (June 29) sees the 56th running of that historic title at the Bibra Lake Speedway.

A total of 32 riders can claim to have taken off the event, with eleven of them being multiple winners. Best of the bunch were Mick McKeon and Glenn Doyle, who each can claim 6 successes in the event. Chum Taylor won 5 times, while Guy Wilson was victorious on 3 occasions. Two-time winners were Wally Higgs, George McPherson, Ross Nickisson, Les Leisk, Glyn Taylor (son of Chum), Steve Johnston and Lee Redmond. Another 21 competitors were single winners of the coveted title. They include Arthur Atkinson (Eng), Wal Morton (Eng), Ken McKinlay (Scotland), Ove Fundin (Sweden), Ivan Mauger (New Zealand), Simon Cross (Eng) and Rob Woffinden (Eng). Of course, Rob Woffinden is the father of present day Junior Solo competitor Tai Woffinden. David Cheshire won the 1983-84 Championship as a 16 year old – the youngest ever winner. It would be simply amazing if he was to score another success some nineteen years later.

WA SOLO CHAMPIONS

1927-28 Sig Schlam

1928-29 Fred Kirkpatrick

1929-30 Arthur Atkinson (Eng)

1935-36 Wal Morton (Eng)

1936-37 Mick Murphy

1950-51 Wally Higgs

1951-52 Wally Higgs

1952-53 Ray Melville

1953-54 Rusty Wainwright

1954-55 George McPherson

1955-56 Ron Johnson

1957-58 Chum Taylor

1959-60 George McPherson

1960-61 Aub Lawson

1961-62 Chum Taylor

1962-63 Chum Taylor

1963-64 Ross Nickisson

1964-65 Jim Phillips

1965-66 Ken McKinlay (Scot)

1966-67 Ross Nickisson

1967-68 Chum Taylor

1968-69 Ove Fundin (Sweden)

1969-70 Chum Taylor

1970-71 Terry O’Leary

1971-72 Les Leisk

1972-73 Ivan Mauger (NZ)

1973-74 Rod Chessell

1974-75 Peter Thompson

1975-76 Les Leisk

1976-77 Mick McKeon

1977-78 Mick McKeon

1978-79 Mick McKeon

1979-80 Robert Moores

1980-81 Mick McKeon

1981-82 Glyn Taylor

1982-83 Glyn Taylor

1983-84 David Cheshire

1984-85 Mick McKeon

1985-86 Mick McKeon

1986-87 Simon Cross (Eng)

1987-88 Rob Woffinden (Eng)

1988-89 Glenn Doyle

1989-90 Glenn Doyle

1990-91 Glenn Doyle

1991-92 Glenn Doyle

1992-93 Glenn Doyle

1993-94 Steve Johnston

1994-95 Glenn Doyle

1995-96 Steve Johnston

1996-97 Lee Redmond

1997-98 Frank Smart

1998-99 Guy Wilson

1999-00 Lee Redmond

2000-01 Guy Wilson

2001-02 Guy Wilson

Unfortunately heavy rain during the week forced the cancellation of the meeting.

The WA Solo Championship will now be held on Sunday July 13.

:D

Guest Speedway Chick

Hiya, Any idea when the State Solo Champs will will go ahead??

I went to go to that meeting, but there was no one there cos of the rain. Track was well drenched.

Ive not long come back from a practice at Bibra Lake on my Solo. Had fun, but my bike played up a bit. Oh well.... better get my hubby to strip the carby down i guess.

chat soon bye

Denise

:roll:

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Hi Denise

From http://www.speedwaymotorcycles.au.com/ I can see meetings at Bibra Lake every second weekend, namely July 27th, August 10th, August 24th, Sept 7th, Sept 21st etc. August 10th is listed as being for solos, perhaps that is the most likely date ?

Just out of interest where exactly is Bibra Lake in relation to Perth, one day I must wander over west and have a look see.

Several dates have been given to the bike boys and a decision will be made shortly.

The problem is that several of the guys are coming from the country- Kambalda and Broome.

Bibra Lake Speedway is south of Perth - near the Jandakot Airport.

Just received word that the WA Solo Championship will be run on Sunday September 7 at the Bibra Lake Speedway.

The rain date will be October 5.

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Sir Lunchalot - Bibra Lake Speedway is approx. 18 km's south of Perth City. in Jandakot

Thanks WA Tigerman

I did have a surf on the net after I asked that question and found out it was out at Jandakot, then I searched for a Perth map and saw roughly where it was. Shame for me Perth isn't that bit closer to Melbourne and shame for me too that you race on a Sunday.

I did Adelaide last year for the SA titles and that was easy, flew over cheap on Saturday morning, saw the meeting on Saturday evening and back Sunday, I'm just trying to talk myself into doing the same for your meeting. I need a fix !!

If it rains on September 7th then held on 6th October will this mean (if they are back) we might see Johnno, Frankie, Harding Jnr, Blackman also riding in the championship - Whatever I'll be there I need a fix aswell - no disrespect to the guys racing at Bibra Lake every 2nd to 3rd Sunday either.

I might put this on another thread when confirmed or maybe Sir Lunchalot or someone else can confirm the dates for the Oz titles are as follows

January 10 - Brisbane Exhibition Ground

Jan 17 - Gosford & Jan 24 Mildura?

I'll definatley go to the last two if it entices the GUNS to ride.

By the way what was the best W.A. Championship any you people saw seeing as there are many sandgropers on this thread.

Think mine would have to be Doyle's 91-92 after his big crash coming out of Fowlhouse on to the main straight. Then went on to win his next heat & the championship.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

The bikes are back on at the Ekka in Brisbane ???

I'm there like a shot, it's a magic place for speedway. Only saw speedway there once in early 1995 in a round of the Speedway Masters but what a terrific set up with all the stands and all that atmosphere. (That reminds me, must dig out that program and post what it said about "Smudger" Smith, some things never change !!)

I inhabit all the usual speedway net sites here in Oz and I'll post when I find out the dates for the Oz titles if no one beats me to it.

I might put this on another thread when confirmed or maybe Sir Lunchalot or someone else can confirm the dates for the Oz titles are as follows

January 10 - Brisbane Exhibition Ground

Jan 17 - Gosford & Jan 24 Mildura?

Great news Ozyace. Is there anywhere or one you or SL knows to get confirmation of these Oz title dates as I'll be putting in for leave & hopefully get to all of them, just hope all our boys overseas get home & take part to make it the best possible title, as without a doubt, our national title could be as good as any meet in the in the world with the talant we have at the moment. GP's included.

poona

Only Speculating

I believe these dates are penciled in, Rod Colquorn, Mick Poole and some others are trying to get it up & going(anyone????), Poole is in the U.K. (Mick that is) at the moment hopefully getting the "GUNS' to ride, I know of one sandgroper who is keen to ride who knows it might even bring some foriegners out here, better than being freezing cold with rain & snow.

Just the thought of watching these guys race has me salavating, i can probably only get a week and a bit off though as I'm going to Europe next year also. Cardiff G.P. & hopefully a couple either side of it not to mention, Belle Vue.....Mondays, Wolves ....Tuesdays, Sweden..... Wednesdays,Ipswich...Thursdays.....Newcastle Brown Fridays.... can't wait :D

Ssssssseeya

Guest Speedway Chick

:?:

Hey Ozyace, do I know you?????

Top stuff Oz, hope Mick & Rod can get it all to come together as we the australian speedway fans deserve it, it fires me up just thinking about it mate. As for your trip to catch a few GPs in UK/europe, are you travelling on a packaged deal tour or winging it on your pat. I've been thinking about doing something similar next year after attending last years Oz GP. I'd also want to catch our boys in the SWC. Anyways, I just hope the Oz titles can be what they can be, the best national on the face at the moment...