British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
super_carlos

who should go up and why

with talk of an extension to the current el which teams do you think should be moving up and why

Teams that can afford it !!

I've always wondered why Arena Essex don't go up into the EL, they seem to have all the resources and seem a very well run club. Workington get a large support and could probably afford it too.

Newport have the money but I doubt Stone will spend it.I would much rather stay in the premier anyway :)

i would have sayed swindon due to having an asset base including leigh adams and maybe for club power workington and arena but the el got a lot of work to do to make it worth there while

Teams that can afford it !!

I've always wondered why Arena Essex don't go up into the EL, they seem to have all the resources and seem a very well run club. Workington get a large support and could probably afford it too.

We actually don't get huge crowds, although they have been on the increase and last season the promotion surveyed fans who in the main voted in favour of staying PL.

I'm guessing there'll be pressure to move up again this year, I'm one of the few who was in favour but it's going to be a close call the way things are.

Lets see now, who wants a bigger Elite League ? ,Sky TV :D ,Elite League Promoters and fans, Would some of the riders [ it might interfere with their lucrative foreign commitments a bit ;) ]

Now who wants the Premier League to stay as it is ? Everyone connected with the Premier League :D Why,because it is a far better product and league setup [ apart from the poxy KOC [up] Rules :twisted: ]

At the moment as the Leagues are i wouldn't want my team Sheffield to go EL. In a perfect world however i wouldn't mind a League setup where costs are more sensible and the World Class riders are shared out more [ Say one per team as John Perrin suggested - blimey i can't believe i agree with him on something :shock: ]But i can never see some certain clubs agreeing to this [ the ones that wanted an ' Elite' League in the first place] At the moment there are 8 Elite Clubs, 18 Premier, and 13 Conference. I'd like to see 12 Elite, 16 Premier and 12 Conference. Maybe like this ???? :-

Elite League

Belle Vue,Coventry,Eastbourne,Ipswich,King's Lynn,Oxford,Peterborough,Poole,Sheffield,Swindon, Wolverhampton,Workington.

Premier League

Arena Essex,Berwick,Boston,Edinburgh,Exeter,Glasgow,Hull,Isle of Wight,Newcastle,Newport,Reading,Rye House,Somerset,Stoke,Trelawny,Wimbledon.

Conference League

Buxton,Carmarthen,Mildenhall,Newcastle,Newport,Oxford, Peterborough,Rye House,Sheffield,Swindon,Weymouth,Wolverhampton.

If the Elite League was watered down slightly to make the massive gap in the leagues closer then it shouldn't be too difficult to have promotion and relegation for the top Premier Club and bottom Elite League club.That WOULD make fixtures interesting to the end of the season.I'm sure if the Promoters could forget about their fixation with C.M.A's ,Rolling Averages,Pink Sheets,Green Sheets [ seven sheets - to the wind ] or whatever for just one season,get around a table and sort it out for the good of the sport.The trouble is too many promoters are only in it for themselves or their own club,so i don't hold out any hope of this pipedream. :x

Suggest that any PL to EL moves should be based on final league positions on an invitation by performance merit basis.

If any of top 4 PL clubs don't fancy joining the EL, then keep going down the list to see if any wish to join.

Who knows you may even have to go the CL, and perhaps Wimbledon and/or Mildenhall might be tempted.

Would not be surprised if less than four PL/CL clubs would be enticed up, and perhaps Ipswich might go in the opposite direction also.

would the top men travel up to west cumbria to ride for worky every week? doubt it seeing as most are southern based.

I was also one of the Arena fans who voted to move to the elite, and I believe that any people who say that the PL is better are just kidding themselves because they are not there. It seems that a lot of the Stars fans preferred racing last season when they were in the EL. If Arena were to go to the EL on there own or maybe as Ipswich replacements then It would be better than the PL but not great. If we were to go up along with maybe Workington, Sheffield, Swindon and King's Lynn then the EL would be a great league to be a part of.

I think that as soon as one of the Pl clubs makes the move then there will be two or three more who will join them, meaning a very strong and entertaining El for the Sky cameras and speedway fans next year.

Don't get me wrong, I do like PL racing but being in the EL with GP stars has no comparison.

Cant see woorky going up, as like it or not the EL is a southern sport. however can see swindon going up this year.

i personally dont want worky to go up to the elite league i much prefere the premiere.

EGG AND CHIPS FOR THIS NORTHAN LASS ANYDAY SORRY !!!!!!

To be honest cant see any premier team wanting to move up to the EL in its current form. Costs being the main issue, with GP riders running a close second. The teams talked about earlier in this thread would all be affected by the GP's, Workington race on a saturday so would have the same problems that has affected Coventry over the past few years, the BLC has hardly been a major success with cancelled meetings etc. Arena would also be affected as GP practice is on a friday and in some ways Sheffield and Swindon would also have difficulties has riders would want to be on their way to the continent by Thursday afternoon.

With the current issues regarding GP riders not wanting to fullfill their rides or matches in the EL, the only solution to a bigger league is for the GP riders to make a a choice between the EL and GP's.

Maybe like this ???? :-

Elite League

Belle Vue,Coventry,Eastbourne,Ipswich,King's Lynn,Oxford,Peterborough,Poole,Sheffield,Swindon, Wolverhampton,Workington.

Premier League

Arena Essex,Berwick,Boston,Edinburgh,Exeter,Glasgow,Hull,Isle of Wight,Newcastle,Newport,Reading,Rye House,Somerset,Stoke,Trelawny,Wimbledon.

Conference League

Buxton,Carmarthen,Mildenhall,Newcastle,Newport,Oxford, Peterborough,Rye House,Sheffield,Swindon,Weymouth,Wolverhampton.

:x

I Notice you have added a team that haven't built there track yet..but eluded a team that are building theres as we speak!

or a team that already has a track being used for 5 meetings this year. ;)