British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
super_carlos

who should go up and why

No relegation please. That would ruin speedway. Look at the pressures it causes rugby promoters. No-one will invest money if they could be in the 2nd division the next year.

To be honest cant see any premier team wanting to move up to the EL in its current form. Costs being the main issue, with GP riders running a close second. The teams talked about earlier in this thread would all be affected by the GP's, Workington race on a saturday so would have the same problems that has affected Coventry over the past few years, the BLC has hardly been a major success with cancelled meetings etc. Arena would also be affected as GP practice is on a friday and in some ways Sheffield and Swindon would also have difficulties has riders would want to be on their way to the continent by Thursday afternoon.

With the current issues regarding GP riders not wanting to fullfill their rides or matches in the EL, the only solution to a bigger league is for the GP riders to make a a choice between the EL and GP's.

Good fair points Heathcote. Let em coose i say,we'd soon see which riders wanted to ride in the league that pays their bread and butter earnings,and if they want to bugger off then fair enough.Same for any fans who only want to watch the ' best riders in the world' they can save their money and go to all the GP's instead.But i know which i'd prefer over the course of a season.The League setup isn't working as it is though.

Maybe like this ???? :-

Elite League

Belle Vue,Coventry,Eastbourne,Ipswich,King's Lynn,Oxford,Peterborough,Poole,Sheffield,Swindon, Wolverhampton,Workington.

Premier League

Arena Essex,Berwick,Boston,Edinburgh,Exeter,Glasgow,Hull,Isle of Wight,Newcastle,Newport,Reading,Rye House,Somerset,Stoke,Trelawny,Wimbledon.

Conference League

Buxton,Carmarthen,Mildenhall,Newcastle,Newport,Oxford, Peterborough,Rye House,Sheffield,Swindon,Weymouth,Wolverhampton.

:x

I Notice you have added a team that haven't built there track yet..but eluded a team that are building theres as we speak!

Arrrrgh. Ok ok. It was only done quickly off the top of my head.Nothing set in concrete,honest.I wondered how long it would be though before someone said ' Why haven't you put my team in the EL, not good enough eh ?' Who's this team that are building their track anyway :?: ;)

Guest JY2003
Elite League

Belle Vue,Coventry,Eastbourne,Ipswich,King's Lynn,Oxford,Peterborough,Poole,Sheffield,Swindon, Wolverhampton,Workington.

You people are mad,you think us southerners are going to travel to Cumbria,your off your trolley!!

Elite League

You people are mad,you think us southerners are going to travel to Cumbria,your off your trolley!!

To be honest I don't think the powers that be will really care very much about travelling support.

Its the home crowds that will concern them - and the size and marketability of the league.

The EL - noteably Poole and Eastbourne - have done themselves a great deal of damage with their arrogant approach to the BLC this year in my humble opinion. The PL promoters who already regarded the EL with a certain amount of trepidation will not be runing to get into bed with his lot.

HOWEVER if the best ideas the PL Promoters can come up with is the dafter than a daft brush in daft contest Knock Out Cup madness, then we are all in serious trouble.

I was just thinking that myself JY2003. I mean it is soooooooooooooooo much farther from Eastbourne to Cumbria than Cumbria to Eastbourne isn't it :?: :? :D

No relegation please. That would ruin speedway. Look at the pressures it causes rugby promoters. No-one will invest money if they could be in the 2nd division the next year.

For me relegation and promotion has an important part of a competitive and healthy league structure, at least as far as the top two divisions are concerned.

But the deal has to be right unlike in most sports including Rugby. There has to be a proper commitment to and financial support for the 2nd division, Sky money has to be invested in the sports strength and infrastructure.

For me relegation and promotion has an important part of a competitive and healthy league structure, at least as far as the top two divisions are concerned.

But the deal has to be right unlike in most sports including Rugby. There has to be a proper commitment to and financial support for the 2nd division, Sky money has to be invested in the sports strength and infrastructure.

I agree,this is why i said the Elite League needs to be watered down so that there isn't as massive a gulf between the leagues.Promotion and relegation would be great.It would give teams in the PL not invited in the first place a chance to gain entry on merit,and the leagues would be more interesting than i can ever remember.But it would all take a massive shake up in the sport and it just wont happen.As Racer X points out so well, if the best they can come up with is the farcical KOC [up] rules,then thats it we may as well forget it.Rob says it won't work because people wont invest in a team that may be in Div 2 the next year,but it works the other way too.A bright,positive forward thinking promotion,that gets off it's ass and actually promotes the sport in Div 2 should have less trouble attracting a sponsor if theres a good chance of being in with the big boys in a year or two.

Elite League

That is the exact comment why Workington havent moved up, the travelling to away matches. To far to travel all the time for meetings. Now I can see why when the elite fans down south are saying exactly the same. No incouragement whatsoever from fans down south for the northern clubs to make the step up.

But one thing is for sure us Cumbrians will travel anywhere to watch our team if we could afford it and hadnt other commitments like kids and family. There was even some fans at Reading and Isle of Wight on Monday and Tuesday that is commitment for the team. :evil:

Simplistic, But can anyone tell me, what would be wrong with two leagues of equal status with promotion and relegation?

Yes, I know it has been discussed before and costs etc. But they did an almagimation in 64 and it worked big time.

If the two leagues combined and new team strengths were set with say only ONE GP rider per team allowed And Obviously Elite teams would have to scale down to meet PL standards.

Wouldn't that re-kindle some interest? Even regionailise it to North and South if necessary with top two from each section playing off at End of season and the winners meeting in Grand Final.

I think Speedway needs something like this.

There was an amalgamation in 1965 I think, but this was to one league.

It did work but only through rider control. The likes of Coventry had to

ride with what was basically 2 Conference riders and had to lose a heat

leader.

Whether this would work today I doubt it

You would have to lose the big riders to bring costs down, maybe to be

used in a squad system. All in all we have reached a watershed, the

Elite league is a joke, seven teams just cant keep the interest alive, no

matter how Sky pushes it. Big decisions ate needed this winter, but with

so much self interest, don't hold your breath.

Guest JY2003

I would like to see Workington go up,but cant the track move a little closer and still be called workington :?: Lol!!

What a shame that Workington would miss out on all those vast legions of reluctant travelling support if they rode in the Elite League.

Having seen the enormous attendances that are at the EL fixtures shown on Sky, i doubt that a small back-water club like Workington could survive without visiting support. Probably better off staying where we are.

I thought we lived in a high tech world.

Workington is not the north pole! Can be reached easily by the M6.

From what I have seen the Comets pull in a greater support than a lot of

current EL teams, sorry Ipswich, I'm looking at you.

But why should they? The PL is doing just fine, EL NO THANKS.