British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rjsj9803

1973 World Final

Could someone please tell me the winner of the 1973 world final, i have trawled the net to find out to no avail to save having to ask in here,i do recall it being a shock winner though,Thanks.

Could someone please tell me the winner of the 1973 world final, i have trawled the net to find out to no avail to save having to ask in here,i do recall it being a shock winner though,Thanks.

Jerzy Szczakiel

...who beat Ivan Mauger in a run-off. It is said by some that Mauger lost more than Szczakiel won!

ty both i had an idea it was something like that but would never have remembered thanks

...who beat Ivan Mauger in a run-off.  It is said by some that Mauger lost more than Szczakiel won!

Mauger fell off and as he himself said, if you're sitting on the track when you should be racing, you don't deserve to be world champion.

I often feel slightly sorry for Jerzy, especially when I see his bewildered, bemused expression on the podium. Like Egon Muller ten years later, Jerzy took advantage of the final being on home turf, with all the assistance - not the least, I believe, around 150,000 Poles roaring him on - that implied. Veni, vidi, vici.

If you are ever stuck for results,this is a good starting place.Lots of info :D