British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

Former Riders

With the success of finding out what Rick Miller is now doing, are there any other ex Bees out there who feel like letting us all know how they are getting on/recall old times, I am particularly interetsed in late 70's, 80's & early 90's.

:twisted:

Or indeed any riders from any other teams ! there is more to heaven and earth than Coventry !! not that their fans ever thought that ! :D

Mad biker, new forum & all & I don't want to throw my teddies out - but I am just a Bees fan & have an interest in our former Bees riders.

T he tone of your post sucks, you want to know about other teams riders, great - start your own post!!!

:P:P:P

Or indeed any riders from any other teams ! there is more to heaven and earth than Coventry !! not that their fans ever thought that !
Hey watch it! I thought we were friends. :P

Howling Gorgon, calm down, did you not see the smilie ????? it was meant as a joke, in my day even Coventry fans had a sense of humour ! obviously things have changed. :cry:

Kevin Hawkins is living in Peterborough and does a bit of motocross near the town I live in.

Steve Gibson (Canterbury 1975) will be able to give you a better run down as I only met him through Gibbo.

Thanks Steve, He was my Dads favourite when he used to take me to Brandon as a kid, good solid second string as I remember, but never glamorous enough for a me as a wide eyed kid in a team full of exotic names from around the world.

Sort of rider I would now support, which is quite depressing as it means I am turning into my father!! :twisted:

With the success of finding out what Rick Miller is now doing, are there any other ex Bees out there who feel like letting us all know how they are getting on/recall old times, I am particularly interetsed in late 70's, 80's & early 90's.

:twisted:

What is Rick doing... I must have missed the postings

Errm.......Credit where it's due 'cos I don't often get any - I created the Rmaction topic on Years Gone By and Rick was good enough to reply. :approve:

I knew he was around because he has posted on the forum before and I hope he will still do so now and again on here.

Great to know former and current speedway riders are making posts and contributing to the forum.

To get away from Coventry riders of days-gone-by, Bob Humphreys (ex Reading, Swindon, MK) was last heard of riding "classic" motorcycles on road-race tracks Down Under.

I found this, don't know if its old news! It was written 22 Sep 99 but people might not know that a speedway rider has been such a success!

"A former Coventry speedway rider is a multi-millionaire after selling his hotel complex.

John Harrhy, who rode for Coventry ‘Bees’ speedway team in the 1970s has sold the Windmill Village Hotel and Golf Club for £7 million to Roy Richards the Birmingham owner of the National Motorcycle Museum and the Manor Hotel, Meriden.

The new purchase gives Mr Richards unrivalled facilities along the A45 corridor within a few miles of Birmingham Airport and the National Exhibition Centre.

The National Motorcycle Museum sited on the slip road leading from the A45 to the M42 has extensive conference facilities and now Richards can offer attractive hotel accommodation and golfing facilities to conference delegates.

Harrhy paid £200,000 for Windmill Farm in 1979.

"I retired as a speedway rider in 1978 and bought this place a year later. It was derelict, but I did up the place and it is still the central core to the hotel complex.

"It was a coaching inn in 1640 and a schoolhouse in the early 1800s. We found a lot of interesting artefacts when we opened up the cellars and we have mounted a little exhibition of the things we uncovered.

"The cellars were converted into bars and then I built a village complex in which guests stay in their own self-contained cottage-style accommodation, each with its own parking space.

"I built the nine hole golf course in 1990 and coupled with the leisure club it has become very popular."

The new company takes over control of the Windmill Village Hotel and Golf Club on Friday and is expected to mount an extensive refurbishment programme.

Harrhy says:

"I don’t intend to retire. I am now looking to buy a golf club in this area for my sons Mark and Nigel to run.""

Guest Stickleback

Perhaps John Harrhy achieved his aim and bought his son a golf club to run. Keeping the name Harrhy in motorsport, a Nigel Harrhy of Widney Manor Golf Club sponsors Formula 1 Stockcar racing at Coventry stadium. Don't know whether he sponsors t' Bees though