British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

Former Riders

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Very interesting that the safety fence was used 18 years later at Rye House. I never knew that. Not much wiser about John Lalley though

That's the reason why John Lalley is mentioned in this thread. It's basically a do-you-rember section.It's querying '...do you remember...' For a change obviously yu don't!

1 minute ago, gustix said:

That's the reason why John Lalley is mentioned in this thread. It's basically a do-you-rember section.It's querying '...do you remember...' For a change obviously yu don't!

:blink:

With the success of finding out what Rick Miller is now doing, are there any other ex Bees out there who feel like letting us all know how they are getting on/recall old times, I am particularly interetsed in late 70's, 80's & early 90's

I thought it was more a 'what are they doing now?' topic, going from the OP

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

:blink:

With the success of finding out what Rick Miller is now doing, are there any other ex Bees out there who feel like letting us all know how they are getting on/recall old times, I am particularly interetsed in late 70's, 80's & early 90's

I thought it was more a 'what are they doing now?' topic, going from the OP

Good point. I wonder what happened to John Lalley after all those years since he was active? Indeed if he is - hopefully - still with us? 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Steve Bole, 1950s, Walthamstow, Eastbourne.

????

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

????

I think he had a brother, Punch...

• Haha 2

1950s. Wally and Harry Wilson, Wimbledon juniors and Eastbourne.  

Mark Courtney used to love watching him ride a really talented motorcyclist.Does anyone know who Mark regularly mechanics for now? does he do the UK or just Europe.( not that it will matter this year no Speedway until 2021.)

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Mark Courtney used to love watching him ride a really talented motorcyclist.Does anyone know who Mark regularly mechanics for now? does he do the UK or just Europe.( not that it will matter this year no Speedway until 2021.)

A great stylist but never fullfilled his true potential in my view allowing his off-track antics to get in the way.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Think I saw him in Germany a few years ago for the U21 SWC along with Smudger. If I remember rightly Courtney was spannering for one of the young Aussie riders. Not sure though

Haven't heard about Shawn Moran for a few years. Anyone know what he is up to ? Is he still involved in speedway in South Germany ?

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Think I saw him in Germany a few years ago for the U21 SWC along with Smudger. If I remember rightly Courtney was spannering for one of the young Aussie riders. Not sure though

Haven't heard about Shawn Moran for a few years. Anyone know what he is up to ? Is he still involved in speedway in South Germany ?

Don't know what Shawn is doing now a great rider who was box office just like Kelly(RIP). I  have seen his DVD and was amazed and shocked on how Shawn said he lost his nerve it just shows how we all forget  just how dangerous speedway is.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gustix said:

1950s. Wally and Harry Wilson, Wimbledon juniors and Eastbourne.  

Sorry John, the name was "Willson", not "Wilson". Wally and Winnie Willson emigrated to Canada, and used to keep in touch with my late grandmother.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Sorry John, the name was "Willson", not "Wilson". Wally and Winnie Willson emigrated to Canada, and used to keep in touch with my late grandmother.

Thanks Steve. I have just looked on Speedway Researcher and they like me spell the surname as Wilson. But I concede you are correct as Wally Willson and wife were down to your grandmother. https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/eastbourne1954.pdf    

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Thanks Steve. I have just looked on Speedway Researcher and they like me spell the surname as Wilson. But I concede you are correct as Wally Willson and wife were down to your grandmother. https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/eastbourne1954.pdf    

Obviously, Willson is not a common spelling. We did have a large photo of Harry Willson on his bike. Not sure where it is right now; it may still be in storage, so I don't have access to that at the moment.

I know you are probably wondering how I know some of this stuff. I really am not the antagonistic troll you think I am; I told you, I just have trouble dealing with stupidity.

I was born into speedway. My mum started going to Plough Lane in 1950, and she soon started taking her parents. They used to go to all the London tracks regularly. Their interest waned, but my mum (her maiden name was Valerie Phillips) really got involved and became the Secretary of the Wimbledon Supporters Club, and organised a lot of functions, like the old dinner/dances. She became good friends with a lot of riders.

My dad started going in 1958, he met my mum, and then I came along. My dad also got heavily involved, and used to help out riders. When Sverre Harrfeldt would go home, my dad would drive him to and from the airport, and would have use of his car while he was in Norway.

We got to know a lot of the riders over the years, including juniors like the Willsons, Bob Warner, and Freddie Sweet. When I was older, we would often spend time with Jim and Jill Tebby, and end up playing darts at Ron How's pub.

So, it probably surprises you, but I have a true lifetime of "involvement" in speedway...

• Like 1