British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

Former Riders

Anyone remember Al Sparrey who rode for Yarmouth in the early 1960s?

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

Saw him riding for Yarmouth. Also rode for West Ham, Rye House and Swindon.

Mason Wear. Anyone remember him ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gustix said:

2 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Saw him riding for Yarmouth. Also rode for West Ham, Rye House and Swindon.

I think that Al Sparrey was a grass track rider before he took to speedway? Also that he was a car salesman in Walthamstow working for the old-time Cradley Heath and Rayleigh rider Alan Briggs. After speedway Briggs switched to stock car racing and was a leading competitor when there was a track at Walthamstow Stadium in the 1960s..

There was an interesting thread on the BSF a while back. It may answer some of your questions...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chunky said:

There was an interesting thread on the BSF a while back. It may answer some of your questions...

That's correct Chunky. In my latest Post I did not indicate that I had forgotten Al Sparrey. I just wondered if after some near 60 years any other posters recalled him. Delighted to see the Post gave you a chance to get on the anti-gustix bandwagon once more! 

Who remembers Putt Mossmann ? I believe he and his touring party nearly got killed on the way to one of their bookings !!!!

6 hours ago, gustix said:

That's correct Chunky. In my latest Post I did not indicate that I had forgotten Al Sparrey. I just wondered if after some near 60 years any other posters recalled him. Delighted to see the Post gave you a chance to get on the anti-gustix bandwagon once more! 

Come on, John...

In your latest post, you "wondered" if Al had been a grass-tracker before turning to speedway. Why would you ask that, when you had already stated it?

It is perfectly okay to just dig up a subject and ask if anyone has any memories, or has anything to add, without posting strange comments like that. I am NOT anti-gustix, just anti-stupidity (whoever posts it).

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Come on, John...

In your latest post, you "wondered" if Al had been a grass-tracker before turning to speedway. Why would you ask that, when you had already stated it?

It is perfectly okay to just dig up a subject and ask if anyone has any memories, or has anything to add, without posting strange comments like that. I am NOT anti-gustix, just anti-stupidity (whoever posts it).

I wish that I had your experience of editing skills chunky! Then 'the errors' that seemingly appear in my Posts would not happen. It would also probably make 'my friend the Hamburger man' happier and he would be able to move away from his dedicated hounding (some 10 years now!) of my Posts.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, gustix said:

I wish that I had your experience of editing skills chunky! Then 'the errors' that seemingly appear in my Posts would not happen. It would also probably make 'my friend the Hamburger man' happier and he would be able to move away from his dedicated hounding (some 10 years now!) of my Posts.

It has absolutely nothing to do with editing skills, John! You knew he was a grass-tracker (you had previously stated that), so why did you ask about it this time?

If you want to ask for comments/memories, there is nothing wrong with that at all, but you don't do yourself any favours by posting things like that which either contradict what you said previously, or worse still, make you look like you can't remember what you've said.

I saw Wayne Muddle's name appear recently on another thread. I remember him riding in second halves at Cowley but wondered what happened to him?

John Gronow, 1954, California, Eastbourne. Former road racing rider. He was an Australian.

Al Holliday, California 1954, then years later Rayleigh 1963. Machine examiner and pits marshall Eastbourne 1955 - 1958.