British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

Former Riders

Of course we know the famous case of Björn Knutson having his name spelt wrong all over the shop and the now notorious case of Mason Weir(Wear)or is It now Mayson 

I know I have made some blunders if there was a late replacement that I didn’t know and only had the stadium announcers pronounciation over a dodgy tannoy to go by

Wonder how many in the early days wrote Ivan Major in their Programmes ?

Edited by iris123

53 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Of course we know the famous case of Björn Knutson having his name spelt wrong all over the shop and the now notorious case of Mason Weir(Wear)or is It now Mayson 

I know I have made some blunders if there was a late replacement that I didn’t know and only had the stadium announcers pronounciation over a dodgy tannoy to go by

Wonder how many in the early days wrote Ivan Major in their Programmes ?

And also Mike Broadbank(s).

49 minutes ago, norbold said:

And also Mike Broadbank(s).

Hasse Holmkvist and Hasse Holmqvist.

• Like 1

Malcolm Simmons was another who had his name spelled wrongly in the early days as Malcolm Simmonds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, norbold said:

Malcolm Simmons was another who had his name spelled wrongly in the early days as Malcolm Simmonds.

Nor just in the early days. I was watching the video (on YouTube) last week of the 1986 NLRC; it was "Simmonds" on there...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I've actually seen the same for Christer Lofqvist and Gunnar Malmqvist. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, chunky said:

I am NOT anti-gustix, just anti-stupidity (whoever posts it).

I think you have me in that capacity? You frequently use it when commentating on my Posts!

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The letter Q is rare in Swedish.  It was commonly used in ordinary words until the late 19th century, when it was replaced by K.  Since about 1900 Swedish dictionaries only show common words with a k rather than q.  However, proper names kept their Q despite the change made to common words.  I recall looking into this in the late 1960s, principally because there were occasional spellings of (Tommy) Bergqvist as Berqkvist and (Hasse) Holmqvist as Holmkvist, whereas when they arrived at Cradley Heath and Wolverhampton respectively their names were recorded in programmes, magazines and newspapers as Bergquist and Holmquist, quickly becoming Bergqvist and Holmqvist.  I understand quist is an older version of qvist.  As they are proper names the correct version should presumably be Bergqvist and Holmqvist, with the same applying to Malmqvist and Lofqvist.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BL65 said:

The letter Q is rare in Swedish.  It was commonly used in ordinary words until the late 19th century, when it was replaced by K.  Since about 1900 Swedish dictionaries only show common words with a k rather than q.  However, proper names kept their Q despite the change made to common words.  I recall looking into this in the late 1960s, principally because there were occasional spellings of (Tommy) Bergqvist as Berqkvist and (Hasse) Holmqvist as Holmkvist, whereas when they arrived at Cradley Heath and Wolverhampton respectively their names were recorded in programmes, magazines and newspapers as Bergquist and Holmquist, quickly becoming Bergqvist and Holmqvist.  I understand quist is an older version of qvist.  As they are proper names the correct version should presumably be Bergqvist and Holmqvist, with the same applying to Malmqvist and Lofqvist.

Fascinating...thanks for that!

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

The letter Q is rare in Swedish.  It was commonly used in ordinary words until the late 19th century, when it was replaced by K.  Since about 1900 Swedish dictionaries only show common words with a k rather than q.  However, proper names kept their Q despite the change made to common words. 

Thanks! I did wonder about that, because Q doesn't seem common, and I was hoping that someone here would know.

Edited by chunky