British Speedway Forum
crazysue

World Cup Meeting 2 @ Malilla 18/07/06

GO SWEDEN GO!!!! Jonsson and Lindback was storming around the track! Nice to see. I hope They will do the same on saturday + the others will do a lot better around the technical Reading track. Lindback is a little bit of a dark horse on saturday and around Reading He will give and take.

Jonsson will ride there with another good performance. It all depends how the other 3 going and if We will make the gates of course We are in it for sure.

I will be there for My first time and I hope I will went with a Victory.

GO SWEDEN GO

Great stuff from young Lindback, very enjoyable to watch and well done the Swedes.

Tactically they got it right too - hold your home meeting on 3 of your 5 riders home track and set it up so it doesn't suit your main rivals. Now why don't we take note ?

Tactically they got it right too - hold your home meeting on 3 of your 5 riders home track and set it up so it doesn't suit your main rivals. Now why don't we take note ?

Agree absolutely, Owlerton or Foxhall should be where any SWC event is held over here for maximum advantage to our boys.

Edited by Col

(

Millard is a clown. I expended more energy shouting at his mistakes than in supporting the riders. Get rid of him and perm any 2 from Pearson, Johnno, Tatum and Louis. At least they know the rules, know the riders and can tel a red helmet colour from a white one :mad:

)

Pearson also makes loads of mistakes! Both he and Millard should go IMO. they make a laughing stock of our sport!

It should have been at Cov. Chris and Scott are in good form there, Lee has a few years experience there, Mark traditionally goes well (But not great this year), Simon is very good there, and a back up of Louis, Screen and Allen to call on. Overall it's probably the Brits best track.

Tonights match was far to long, too many no racing heats, and Millard was doing my head in as usual. Not as good a match as the first round, but there was some good racing mixed in. Rider of the night has to be Lindback, although AJ was brilliant and Charlie and Billy had some spectacular rides. Well done the Czechs. Although they didn't get many points on the board they were in the mix most of the time, and frankly unlucky not to score more.

For the record I think Lindback lifting slightly on the line cost him the win in the photo finish with Charlie. Luckily it didn't affect he result, but it was the wrong call.

The ref was right to re-run the heat ealy on whatever the rules say. It's about time that the ref re-ran a heat in those circumstances, and we've seen it a few times now.

(

GO SWEDEN GO!!!! Jonsson and Lindback was storming around the track! Nice to see. I hope They will do the same on saturday + the others will do a lot better around the technical Reading track. Lindback is a little bit of a dark horse on saturday and around Reading He will give and take.

Jonsson will ride there with another good performance. It all depends how the other 3 going and if We will make the gates of course We are in it for sure.

I will be there for My first time and I hope I will went with a Victory.

GO SWEDEN GO

)

Antonio Lindback is always so exciting to watch - he's a real racer. So many times he comes from last to first and leaves everyone at Poole speechless! Think he might struggle at Reading though, Zetters. He has only ever ridden there once and scored only three points from five rides. Have never seen a poor performance from him like that before. :o

Brandon .. Bah! Far too easy a track to get the hang of. Though it is surely the best stadium.

Owlerton becuase it's a decent Stadium. Stead flies there, Screen does also. Only some of the Dane's/Aussie's are likely to have seen it before.

Foxhall, strange track it's not big but rides like a big track from what I've seen on the TV. Nicholls, Louis, Loram obviously know it inside out. Only disadvantage would be that Poland with Hampel, Protasiewicz, Miskowiak & Gollob would be more competitive.

Edited by Col

And well done to Cradley tonight :)

Shame you guys had no support.

Having watch about 5 minutes of the replay on Sky Sports 1... Sky are drivel, their reruns are worthless, show Lindback coming under Hamill. Not Lindback missing the start 40 times. If Sky employed people to work the camera and edit's that had an iota of speedway knowledge they'd have a product on their hands that only football would beat.

Gjedde beat Lindback, Czech ref bottled it, home banker.

Didn't quite have the closeness of Sunday's meeting, but still a good 'un I thought after a slooooooooooow start. Iversen looked very disappointing though, and at the moment looks like a weak link. Not that they have anyone else to call on..

Ref had a bad meeting. The Danes should be a bit pissed off, but at the end of the day the Swedes were awesome and deserving winners.

Don't think Reading will suit the Swedes too much though. Denmark, on the other hand, will be very tough if Iversen can up his game a little.

Had to feel sorry for the Czechs. Great touch by Hancock at the end of the meeting when interviewed :)

As for the commentators...jeez, where to start? Tony Millard...the guy is a legend! I always enjoy the Sky meetings far more when he's on. Yes, he makes mistakes, but he adds sooooo much to the general entertainment value. Bit like Nicki and his "y'knows". Always fun to sit at home with a pen and paper(s) and tally up the mistakes :)

Do miss the pairing of Millard and PC. Where has PC got to? Haven't heard much from him in ages.

There was one rather annoying aspect of last night though. Step forward Steve Johnston! Could he be any more biased?

Does he want to have Hamill's babies or what? Lindgren better than Lindback? Ha! Get a grip, man!

Hopefully they'll be able to find someone better for the race-off. Ideal pairing of Millard (who doesn't seem to have the urge to shout every other word!) and Tatum (well spoken, knows his stuff, and nowhere as biased as others) please SKY.

To be fair to Sky I think it was Swedish tv that provided the pictures.

Perhaps the commentary may have been more understandable if it had been in Swedish too ? :blink:

Having watch about 5 minutes of the replay on Sky Sports 1...  Sky are drivel, their reruns are worthless, show Lindback coming under Hamill.  Not Lindback missing the start 40 times.  If Sky employed people to work the camera and edit's that had an iota of speedway knowledge they'd have a product on their hands that only football would beat.

Gjedde beat Lindback, Czech ref bottled it, home banker.

The TV coverage was NOT provided by Sky so don't blame them! Agree about the pointless replays, and thought the Polish TV coverage on Sunday was excellent.

Over to Sky for the Reading coverage - hope they use a decent director!

Edited by KrisB

Not a bad meeting although nowhere near as good as saturday. Lindback was superb if he could ride like this in the GP's he would be world champion. AJ also fantastic.

One question for you all. Is Millard as bad at commentating as Janniro is on a speedway bike? They were both a disgrace last night.

Think he might struggle at Reading though, Zetters. He has only ever ridden there once and scored only three points from five rides. Have never seen a poor performance from him like that before.  :o

Hmm..try Anton at Foxhall a couple of times - that might come a close second. ;) To be fair to Toninho, his return at Reading was in the middle of that hectic spell of racing for him and he, along with Bjarne were looking pretty zonked by then. Reckon you'll see a different showing from him on Saturday. His performance last night was first class and I'm dead pleased that he was able to show just how good he is now as sometimes on the big stage he falls a little short still (lack of experience rather than anything else) - anyone who goes to Poole regualarly will have recognised that cut back and long straight move - he's not bad at it for us either. :approve:

As for Millard - the guy should go. It was embarassing listening to him wibbling on about substitutions at the end of the meeting. Pearson is far more enthusiastic and knowledgable about the sport - throwing in random snippets of info about all the leagues and riders rather than the length of the track, what the start marshall does in his spare time etc. Who cares?!! The Pearson and Kelvin pairing from Sunday was pure quality. Definitely added to the spectacle with their whooping and whoaing! :D

Edited by rabbit

OK so thankfully it came alive in the last half of the meeting, the first half was very boring and probably showed speedway at it's worst, especially to any newcomer- processional and not very professional - was it 57 minutes for the first 3 heats ?

Massive contrast in racing and coverage when compared to Sunday. Luckily the last 10 heats provided some overtaking and great racing form Pedersens, Lindback and Gjedde. The ref called the wrong result in the Lindback / Gjedde issue, again showing that there's room for some technical help to make the sport more professional.

I think Sweden deserved to go through, they put the points on early and hung in there despite a great rally from the Danes;USA were always going to be 3rd and the Czechs 4th.

As far as commentary goes, I much prefer Pearson with support from Kelvin, Chris L or perhaps David Norris, sorry Johnno "mate", no offence and that's probably a "disappointment" to Millard.....

Concerned that there was no air fence though, thought the start line girls looked fabulous, but what about the outfit the start marshal was wearing for the first few heats, long tailed frock coat and a bandanna - looked like a cross between an orchestral conductor and an extra from Pirates of the Caribbean......