Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Herbie the Hammer

Fay Taylour

You must have read a slightly different review to me.

I'm assuming (and hoping) you are making some sort of ironic point regarding our overiding desire for facts and figures in our Speedway literature.

If you like reading numbers there is always the telephone directory.

I'm enjoying this thread but I'm not sure I'm totally understanding it.

Basically, I think its that the initial poster did not like John Hyam's review of Brian Belton's book about Fay Taylour as published in the South London Press and since carried elsewhere in this thread.

As many of us have not read the book, it's hard to judge the fairness or otherwise of the SLP book review.

It seems that side issues have since developed in regard to a previously being reserached book by Deb Cherry and if this will now ever appear.

Other posters have also criticised previous work by Belton and also criticised John Hyam who was the writer of the book review.

but tis a book...by a professional writer...a safe bet for a good read I'd wager...and one needs not to doubt Mr Hyam along with his esteemed fellows in the trade, will give it the thoroughly fine review it deserves

I think Tony's role in this publication is best described as a "ghost", as well as publisher.

It clearly says "by Malcolm Simmons", and it is a good read, though obviously lacking in page after page of track times.

Basically, I think its that the initial poster did not like John Hyam's review of Brian Belton's book about Fay Taylour as published in the South London Press and since carried elsewhere in this thread.

As many of us have not read the book, it's hard to judge the fairness or otherwise of the SLP book review.

It seems that side issues have since developed in regard to a previously being reserached book by Deb Cherry and if this will now ever appear.

Other posters have also criticised previous work by Belton and also criticised John Hyam who was the writer of the book review.

As the initial poster I must say once more that I was behind Mr Hyam's postion except for his assertion that women in speedway were 'gimmicks' and that West Ham was not Phil Bishop's final club

but tis a book...by a professional writer...a safe bet for a good read I'd wager...and one needs not to doubt Mr Hyam along with his esteemed fellows in the trade, will give it the thoroughly fine review it deserves

Simmo - The Whole Truth was reviewed by John Hyam in the South London Press some weeks ago.

It also carried three copies as prizes.

The book was well received in the SLP - did the prizes have something to do with it, or was it fair comment?

Edited by speedyguy

incorrect...the first suggested venue was Barking Park (to be a little more exact on or near the site where the lido was built in the 1930s) when permission was refused (it seems on the premise of its proximity to private housing) there was an approach to Parsloes Park which also proved unsuccessful...

I've NEVER heard this before..!!

Where have you got the story about Barking Park from..?? What was on this site then..?? At Parsloes, it was the trotting track being considered..

I'd really appreciate more details as - as a Barking & Dagenham resident myself - I have an embryonic idea about some kind of 80th. anniversary commemorative event around the fact that Speedway was NEARLY born in our Borough in what would have been late 1927..

PM me if you like..

Name one book of mine that has page after page of timings.

I say Herbie old chap, you still haven't answered this question. Unlike you to be at a loss for words.

Away from themes not to do with Fay Taylour and to get back to the lady rider.

A friend of mine tells me that very detailed articles on her have appeared in both Vintage Speedway Magazine (by John Chaplin) and Short Circuit Magazine (by John Hyam) - what a pairing! These may have been about 1999.

Does anyone have dates for these articles? I would like to try and buy the editions concerned if at all possible.

Just an update on the original argument over the newspaper review. Today's edition of the South London Press has a reply by Dr Brian Belton to the criticisms made. Looks like there's still some yardage in this row.

Finally managed to copy out the South London Press letter regarding the controversy over John Hyam's review of Brian Belton's book on Fay Taylour. Their edition dated Friday July 28. It reads:

I WRITE about John Hyam’s review of my book Fay Taylour - Queen of Speedway (The Darling of Crystal Palace, South London Press, July 7).

Firstly, I must implore Mr Hyam to reconsider his dismissal of other female riders as “gimmicks”. Several were accomplished riders and one or two did get the better of Ms Taylour in track duels.

They fought to make careers in a sport that was all too ready to pass them off as mere appendages.

Mr Hyam also insists West Ham was not Phil Bishop’s final club (a fact I cite in a footnote).

He actually died, while West Ham manager, in 1970, in an accident, in Lokeren, Belgium, in the worst disaster in speedway history, along with Peter Bradshaw, Martyn Piddock, Gary Everett and Malcolm Carmichael and driver Henrikus Rommoes.

Concerning which days New Cross raced just after the Second World War, I was indeed perplexed to see three press reports of the time claiming Ms Taylour’s presence at New Cross on an unusual day.

However, these reports were from 1947, 20 months after the end of the war, which was an unusual time.

Mr Hyam also claims the public are not curious about anything other than the bare facts of a sports star’s life.

But George Best, Amy Johnson, Amelia Johnson, Amelia Earhart and Paul Gascoigne show that people want to read about matters other than the basic record of their achievements.

Brian Belton, author of Fay Taylour - Queen of Speedway

Cave Road, Plaistow.

lEditor’s note: John Hyam has been writing about speedway for 54 years. Phil Bishop’s last club as a rider was Southampton.

And herbie must be B.Belton,surely.As Jim said there is something going on here.The letter in the SLP is very similar to Herbies opening post B)

Come on Herbie, fess up (as they say nowadays), are you and BB one and the same?

I think Dr. Herbie's disappeared now he's had his say about John Hyam....

Maybe back under a new name :rolleyes::unsure:

Just look for anyone who gets very sensitive if you don't use his proper title of Dr. :rolleyes: