British Speedway Forum
Herbie the Hammer

Fay Taylour

Now, I wonder why that could be....?

Yes. You have a good point there.

It would be interesting to know how far Deb's long-time research had progressed and what crossover of collected matrial both reserachers - i.e Brian Belton the other author - trawled up when making their contacts.

The publication of the latest book on Fay Taylour may well have stymied Deb if she is unable to find alternative and varied matter about the racer.

What a choker if, as I estimate it, about eight years of hard work proves just a waste of effort for her.

Here is a recopied article from the South London Press, printed some weeks ago, by John Hyam in regard to the book on Fay Taylour. It certainly seems to have provoked a lot of interest. Now we are getting to the nitty-gritty of how John Hyam set this controversy going.

FAY TAYLOUR

QUEEN OF SPEEDWAY

Author: Brian Belton

RRP: £16.99 plus p&p. www.panther-publishing.dsl.pipex.com

ISBN: 095479212 4 X

Hardback, 224 pages, 18 photos and illustrations

THE speedway career of woman rider Fay Taylour was limited to just three seasons, between 1928 and 1930. Then the Auto Cycle Union banned women riders after one of them fell off her bike and broke her collar-bone in a pre-meeting parade at Wembley.

Generally, a handful of women speedway riders were used by promoters as a promotional gimmick. Taylour, however, was an exception and raced regularly against the top men.

She was a special favourite at Crystal Palace, where a legtrail style of racing saw her record many fast times. She also regularly rode in match races against early male speedway stars like Ron Johnson, Sprouts Elder and Roger Frogley.

In the winter of 1928-29 she spent £500 to pay her fare to Australia and New Zealand where she appeared at several tracks. Her last British speedway meeting was at Southampton where she defeated another woman rider Eva Asquith in the meeting’s fastest time. Her speedway career ended abruptly when the ACU then banned all women riders.

Taylour switched to midget car and big circuit car racing for a number of years, an interesting and successful period that is scarcely mentioned.

In 1947, Taylour tried to get back into speedway, with south London track New Cross and their East End rivals West Ham showing some interest in her. But the ACU refused to lift its ban. The author also mentions that she went to New Cross on a Thursday evening - which may explain her lack of success. New Cross’ race night was on a Wednesday - it was Wembley who raced on Thursdays.

And while on New Cross, there’s a mention of 1946 Rangers’ rider Phil ‘King of Crash’ Bishop, who Belton suggests finished his track career at West Ham. In fact, it was at Southampton in 1949 and early 1950.

Brian Belton’s book is supposed to be an insight into Fay Taylour’s brief speedway career. In analysis, her career was so brief, the book has to dwell heavily on her personal life, and on aspects of speedway that are in no way connected to the woman speedway rider. A main factor that constantly crops up is her inability to take a long-term relationship with a man but finding no rational explanation for this.

I found whole reprinted wedges of her own views on matters completely unrelated to speedway or car racing boring. After speedway, she was involved in various types of car racing until well into the 1950s. For sports readers that is of more interest than her presumably failed love life.

Poor Brian doesn't get the best of reviews does he? Wasn't it his book on Split Waterman that John Chaplin gave a poor review to?

Might be worth getting the book just to make up my own mind.

Yes. You have a good point there.

It would be interesting to know how far Deb's long-time research had progressed and what crossover of collected matrial both reserachers - i.e Brian Belton the other author - trawled up when making their contacts.

I wouldn't like to comment on where Brian Belton got his material from.

Just like I wouldn't like to comment on where he got most of the material about West Ham he used for his West Ham book from...

I wouldn't like to comment on where Brian Belton got his material from.

Just like I wouldn't like to comment on where he got most of the material about West Ham he used for his West Ham book from...

This is getting intriguing. Has the 'evil' John Hyam stirred up a hornets nest?

It would not be the first time.

Be interesting to find what erstwhile author Debs Cherry thinks of all this. She did initiate the idea for a book on Fay way, way back.

I don't remember John Chaplin panning a Brian Belton book on Split Waterman, but I do recall his comments on a BB book on Bluey Wilkinson.

JC was irked that BB had Wilknson coming to England in 1928 determined to win the world championship - which didn't start offically (forget those early French versions) until 1936.

If BB has written a book on Split as well, I would like to get a copy. What's it called and who published it?

Poor Brian doesn't get the best of reviews does he?

I wonder why????

Sorry Speedyguy, the Brian Belton book I was referring to was of course the one about Bluey.

Norbold I haven't read any of Brian Belton's books so excuse my ignorance of their quality. Given the generally supportive nature of all those in the Speedway written media it just sticks out a little bit when 2 of his tomes get criticised. Maybe you could elaborate why this would be so.

Doug, I think there is something going down here which does not add up to me.

Must admit i found it a bit strange that this book was out,Jim.Just hope it isn't the case of someone finding out there is a book coming out(well researched by the sound of it)and quickly knocked one out before the other was finished.

JC was irked that BB had Wilknson coming to England in 1928 determined to win the world championship - which didn't start offically (forget those early French versions) until 1936.

I'm no great fan of Dr Belton - but do know that the idea of a world 'short track' championship was mooted first in the USA and that the Epping 'first day' had (originally - when it was going to be held in what is now barking park) been hoped to be billed as a world championship - initial motivation of first wave of Australian riders was the notion that a wc would be organised in England...

Sorry Speedyguy, the Brian Belton book I was referring to was of course the one about Bluey.

Norbold I haven't read any of Brian Belton's books so excuse my ignorance of their quality. Given the generally supportive nature of all those in the Speedway written media it just sticks out a little bit when 2 of his tomes get criticised. Maybe you could elaborate why this would be so.

again - I am a Hyam man, so not in the business of supporting Dr Belton's offerings...but as far as I can see he is justifiably made the butt of intolerance as he is not a journalist nor a professional writer...but merely a fan!! asking for trouble I trust you would agree

Maybe he is made the butt of intolerance because his books are not very good and mostly second hand. Nothing to do with him being a fan. Most speedway books are written by fans rather than professional writers but they don't, by and large, come in for the same criticism.

And, although he may not be a professional writer, he has had 14 books published.

Majority of Speedway books (apart from the recent wave of Autobiographies) are written by people I would class as fans. John Chaplin always conveyed his love of the sport in his articles as have Norbold, Brian Burford, Peter Foster and Chris Fenn in their various works.

I guess the distinction is being a fan who can write professionally or a fan who can't.

Maybe he is made the butt of intolerance because his books are not very good and mostly second hand. Nothing to do with him being a fan. Most speedway books are written by fans rather than professional writers but they don't, by and large, come in for the same criticism.

And, although he may not be a professional writer, he has had 14 books published.

I think you'll find it's closer to 20

again - I am a Hyam man, so not in the business of supporting Dr Belton's offerings...but as far as I can see he is justifiably made the butt of intolerance as he is not a journalist nor a professional writer...but merely a fan!! asking for trouble I trust you would agree

Just what of note has John Hyam written on speedway? He's basically just reporting things as they happen as distinct from doing anything with deep research.

I have followed him in the South London Press for many years - it's all just been up to date reporting. Cannot recall anything else - although I must concede he does range from things like baseball, stock cars, speedway, women's football, football generally, skater hockey and similar.

He also does a good book review - ask Brian Belton and as I previously posted today!