British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
silver_phoenix

Inexcusable Behaviour...

Similar thing happened at Reading some years ago when Ipswich won the league at Smallmead ... that time it was stones not bottles aimed at the Witches on their victory parade. IIRC Billy Sanders leapt off the truck, hopped over the fence and had a few , er , words, with one of the culprits.

Maybe its a BERKshire thing ?

Edited by Panthers70

I too was in the press conference room, I shall not forget the look on a Danish fans face when that lout started whistling and singing our national anthem during the Danish Anthem being played...and he was so proud of himself, and kept looking round to see if everybody was watching him, he was also shouting Danish cheats during the presentation......I think he should have been taken out by the stewards........there should be no room for that behaviour in our beloved sport!!

So you are now going to reply by saying that there is a problem slowly creeping into the sport?

Well it's so slow that we have probably had about 4 incidents in 10 years.

Sorry but I don't see that as any problem at all. All I say is deal with those that offended and let that be an end to it.

How would you deal with it. Stop all alcohol at a speedway meeting?

Get some perspective please.

I don't supose you will though, because as ever you are the forum drama queen.

Why thank you :D What an honour, and tonights award goes to..... :P

Thankyou,no thankyou, no thankyou, thankyou thankyou thankyou

and

i thankyou,no thankyou................................ oh i am soooooo happy!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou. And last but not least i thankyou.... Come over here Del boy. I want to give you a great big kiss! :P

MWAH!! You lovely boy :lol::lol:

( Think i might just have a sense of humour as well) Do i get an award for that too?! (says while flutering my eyelids) (From the film the mask)

Edited by Private Dancer

Similar thing happened at Reading some years ago when Ipswich won the league at Smallmead ... that time it was stones not bottles aimed at the Witches on their victory parade. IIRC Billy Sanders leapt off the truck, hopped over the fence and had a few , er , words, with one of the culprits.

Maybe its a BERKshire thing ?

I think that was round 1984 if my memory serves me correct, and I remember it well and do actually know who the person was that Sanders had words with (and it wasn't me before anyone says anything).

I do think the Reading fans were provoked that night, as there had been a lot of bad blood between the two promotions leading up to that title decider. It resulted in the Ipswich riders going on their victory lap with their crash helmets on. It also didn't help that John Cook and Billy Sanders were repeatedly giving out the 'V' signs on that victory lap.

So that's two incidents in 22 years at Smallmead, so obviously there is a problem there then.

But I guess that's what happens when people drink on an empty head.

Edited by -DelBoyRodders-

There is no excuse for such behaviour but apart from one or two posts at the very begining of the thread I can see no condemnation of the actions of the stadium owners in this. I know they didn't throw the glass bottles themselves but they supplied the ammunition and fuelled the idiots.

Q who owns Reading stadium? and do they own any other stadia around the country? If the answer is yes would it benefit them to be able to report drunken fans at speedway meetings.

Or am I adding 2 and 2 and getting 5?

can i just say what happend is really bad and how can you be proud to be british with incidents like that happening but one thing i want to point out is can you stop saying we dont want to get like football fans, i have met up with many different fans from other teams before games, violence hardly ever happens if it does its miles away from ground. football is not like it was in 70's and people turn up sing and have some banter and then go home and talk about games on forums like these so football is definatly improving with fans relationships now.

but once again i hope them guys get banned if they ever find out who were throwing stuff and shouting abuse no place for it in speedway.

So you are now going to reply by saying that there is a problem slowly creeping into the sport?

Well it's so slow that we have probably had about 4 incidents in 10 years.

Sorry but I don't see that as any problem at all. All I say is deal with those that offended and let that be an end to it.

How would you deal with it. Stop all alcohol at a speedway meeting?

No, Funnily enough i do not wish to see an end of selling alcohol at speedway meetings. Because like many other people i like the odd pint after the meeting is over. But i do not go around throwing bottles or beer glasses at people because i am upset, frustrated or had one too many. Those who cannot handle their drink,clearly should stay clear of it. Or in the end it gets taken away from us all.

Which would be a great shame. As the majority would have to suffer because of the minority. Yes, i agree with you. Bring those to bare who are the aggressers and lets get shot of them.

I have to say that I was appalled by the behaviour of the British fans when they threw glass bottles at the Danish team on their parade lap! It's no wonder we get the reputation for being louts now, is it?

Also, what is a stadium doing letting people have glass bottles to start with. That's just adding fuel to the fire when you give them something to hurl at people. The number of people injured in bar fights after people have had too much to drink, or sportsmen injured by such missiles is enough to show that in this day and age, people should be forced to have their drinks in plastic glasses. It's ridiculous that the stadium allowed the patrons to have bottles. What were they thinking?

I know that at most stadia I've been to, having a glass bottle is out of the question! It's a simple matter of sense and safety. At a football stadium they won't even let you have lids on plastic bottles so you can't fill them with liquid and hurl them.

It was a completely unforgiveable thing that the British fans did and it was an embarrassment to our nation and its place in this sport. Isn't it about time that British fans grew up a little? There was hard riding involved during this years WTC, but there always is. No one was hurt and riders gave as good as they got.

Personally, to see the fans pressed up against the glass during the press conference and hurling abuse at the Danish riders was inexcusable. It was right for Hans to bring up what had happened to them out on the parade lap so the press knew. These kind of people need exposing before they sully our name and place in this great sport. Maybe we should get measures in place to ban such people? The stadium shouldn't be allowed to go unpunished though.

I am ashamed of us as a nation. I know this is the classic case of a few people ruining it for everyone, but what happened is unforgivable.

Silver,

I got back from my holiday about three hours ago and have just logged on to the forum. Assuming this really happened I am totally amazed. Did it really take place as you recount?

I don't mean to cast doubt on what you say but I do find it really difficult to believe that this could happen in speedway. Speedway - the sport that one prided itself on being THE family sport. The sport you could take your kids or your granny to without fear of harm or unpleasentness. Can it really be true. I hope this doesn't become the norm in the sport or I shall make a very rapid exit from it.

Am I still proud to be British?. I wonder.

Ron.

Edited by Ludwig_ron_BertHoven

Over the years I have seen some shameful stunts pulled against Gt Britain, these guys come over here to earn their living and to improve their speedway, what do we get in exchange......a kick in the teeth, time after time. 

Congratulations Denmark, the best speedway team won, but not the best sportsmen (N.P. and H. A.)

Not sure what you mean by a kick in the teeth. Do you mean that the Danes had the temerity to win the World Cup while the final was being staged in GB ? Really must put a stop to that next time then.

I assume you would include S.N. in your list of "not the best sportsmen" following his refusal to shake hands with an opponent in the play-off. Then again, you probably wouldn't.

For the record, I would also condemn the actions of these morons, regardless of where they actually come from. Surely they can be identified from the video footage which should be available.

Silver,

I got back from my holiday about three hours ago and have just logged on to the forum.  Assuming this really happened I am totally amazed.  Did it really take place as you recount?

Ron.

yes it really did tke place as per the acount

Should we wonder how we can't attract new fans? Shame and ban the numpties.

I have to say that I was appalled by the behaviour of the British fans when they threw glass bottles at the Danish team on their parade lap! It's no wonder we get the reputation for being louts now, is it?

Also, what is a stadium doing letting people have glass bottles to start with. That's just adding fuel to the fire when you give them something to hurl at people. The number of people injured in bar fights after people have had too much to drink, or sportsmen injured by such missiles is enough to show that in this day and age, people should be forced to have their drinks in plastic glasses. It's ridiculous that the stadium allowed the patrons to have bottles. What were they thinking?

I know that at most stadia I've been to, having a glass bottle is out of the question! It's a simple matter of sense and safety. At a football stadium they won't even let you have lids on plastic bottles so you can't fill them with liquid and hurl them.

It was a completely unforgiveable thing that the British fans did and it was an embarrassment to our nation and its place in this sport. Isn't it about time that British fans grew up a little? There was hard riding involved during this years WTC, but there always is. No one was hurt and riders gave as good as they got.

Personally, to see the fans pressed up against the glass during the press conference and hurling abuse at the Danish riders was inexcusable. It was right for Hans to bring up what had happened to them out on the parade lap so the press knew. These kind of people need exposing before they sully our name and place in this great sport. Maybe we should get measures in place to ban such people? The stadium shouldn't be allowed to go unpunished though.

I am ashamed of us as a nation. I know this is the classic case of a few people ruining it for everyone, but what happened is unforgivable.

You were doing well until you uttered that immortal sentence and gave your game away. The old "I am ashamed of us as a nation".

No one can condone the actions of a handful of p!ssheads, but methinks you would have come on here and complained about something else the English fans would have done last night, as you have shown your true colours and have said you are ashamed to be English. You would have criticised us no matter what.

i was stood out side the press room during speedway and after, when nicki pedersen was walking up the stairs to the press room, this english bloke offered him out and was giving him aload of abuse with kids around to. When i went back to where i was stood out side the press room window a reading fan who was supporting GB was hanging from the window sticking his fingers up at nicki and hans swearing and asking them to come out and have a go, calling nicki a woman beater. There was security trying to remove them from the window but the men wouldnt get down so they left them there. I felt sorry for the none GB fans having to put up with these hooligans and many more round the track.

I agree! I was there at the press conference and I was disgusted by the fans. I thought NP had every right to tell them to shut up when they were hollering abuse. It was terrible to have to sit there and witness that when in reality we should have been celebrating a wonderful night of closely fought speedway. The British lout isn't the kind of reputation we want to get in speedway. It's bad enough in football.

Ever since the press conference I've been really riled by this and have been ranting about it around the house all morning. It's a shame that we have to suffer fools in such a great sport. Speedway really is a family sport and one where most of the time rival fans get on. As a sport it's one of the few where it's nice to be a fan and you can talk to almost anyone. It should remain a friendly sport and a family sport. It makes this kind of behaviour even more unacceptable because of the number of children who attend these meetings.

:o No way!!

Surely if enough people are around them are shocked by the behaviour why didn't they say something, I sure as hell would of done, a couple of times at Eastbourne now there's been a couple of louts that have got right on my lahlahs with the abuse they shout, makes my blood boil I say something to them each time they just wander back to the bar for another beer.

Wouldn't of happend years ago they would of been taken round the back of the pits discretely of course :wink:

I was also in the press conference but on the other side of the room from the windows...........I must admit I didnt hear much apart from some banging on the window and I couldn't see much either as there were bodies in the way

The disappointing bottle and the boos were mentioned at the end of the conference by Hans and while it had obviously riled the team a little I can safely say that it wasn't affecting their celebrations

Perhaps the idiots should consider that while behaviour like this happens it could increase the chances of it happening to team GB abroad or perhaps even affect the treatment of travelling GB fans..................not to mention the fact that the two main candidates for the boos seem to thrive and ride better