British Speedway Forum

So whos better then?  Surely has to be a current GP rider or someone who finished ahead of him in this meeting?

Not saying that Bomber shouldn't get in as things stand. I am glad he rode so well tonight and has given himself every chance of being seeded. Imagine if he'd only got 5 or 6 points but BSI still seeded a Brit to make 2.

I agree with you that PK is likely to be the guy with the hard luck story.

Driver places in F1 comes down to sponsorship and commercial gain, Minardi (I think it was them) wanted 2 Brits about 3 years ago and told them they both had to find £x million in sponsorship or they'd be forced to pick between the 2 as they could only have 1 Brit or the other.  I seem to remember sponsorship meant that neither got the drive in the end!

No F1 team that I can think of has ever had two drivers of the same Nationality.  It's gone nothing to with junior forumulae, it's down to the owner fo rht eteam picking the 2 best drivers for his team and that an amalgamation of talent and commercial gain.

There's certainly no qualifying for the F1 championship, no "if you win this race/series you'll be an F1 driver next year", it just doesn't happen, certian formulae draw the F1 bosses to your attention but thats about it.

I appreciate that this is a Speedway forum and I have no desire to continue this thread, but my point was that Speedway, as far as I know, is the only sport that currently 'nominates' its world finalists. F1, as far as I know does not 'nominate' its world finalists - if they did, it could be quite interesting though. Agreed there is no formal qualification, apart from the ability to obtain the budget, comply to the regulations, etc. but also they are not 'nominated'.

I'm not sure what the 2 x drivers from the same nationality has to do with any of this, but I'm sure I remember Blundell & Brundle both driving for Brabham in 1991 (and Ligier in 1993) and Hill & Coulthard for Williams in 1995 (and I'm guessing there would be loads more if I bothered to look back over history).

Edited by macca56

Guest schumifan
Driver places in F1 comes down to sponsorship and commercial gain, Minardi (I think it was them) wanted 2 Brits about 3 years ago and told them they both had to find £x million in sponsorship or they'd be forced to pick between the 2 as they could only have 1 Brit or the other.  I seem to remember sponsorship meant that neither got the drive in the end!

No F1 team that I can think of has ever had two drivers of the same Nationality.  It's gone nothing to with junior forumulae, it's down to the owner fo rht eteam picking the 2 best drivers for his team and that an amalgamation of talent and commercial gain.

There's certainly no qualifying for the F1 championship, no "if you win this race/series you'll be an F1 driver next year", it just doesn't happen, certian formulae draw the F1 bosses to your attention but thats about it.

Look forward to seeing you in the F1 thread...

...when I've worked out what you're on about :blink::P

I´m glad you all enjoyed the online coverage, it seemed the natural thing to do it both in Swedish and English as there are so many International viewers (on the website) for a meeting like that.

Heats over by the first bends? Really? I must have slept as Max went from 2nd to 4th in one heat for example. Sure it wasn´t the best of meeting at Vetlanda this year, but I think it was fairly entertaining (Gafurov - what a rider!) and to say it was all over by the first bend, well, I just don´t agree.

Well, I´m locking off my office now and I´ll go grab a beer, or what else is left in the restaurant... :rolleyes:

Just like to add my thanks to Anders for the updates tonight - great work!!!

Just like to add my thanks to Anders for the updates tonight - great work!!!

I don't think Harris is good enough. On the basis that there has to be two Brits, Mark Loram should replace Lee Richardson in my opinion.

As Hans Andersen is now in the GP series as a replacement for TRick, doesnt his scores count now as he is not a short term replacement.

If his scores do count, then he will surely finish in the top 8 and therefore PK should get the third spot from this meeting.

It has already been confirmed Hans points do not count in the final standings he cannot be seeded by finishing in the top 8 as he failed to qualify this year. It is in the FIM rules of the event.

Peter Karlsson will be 1st reserve for next year.

How can a man who scores 14 not qualify ??? sorry but finals in qualifiers must be stopped . on a performance like that PK should qualify imo

agreed

Harris I feel has a slightly more get up and go feel to him than Stead. Stead seems too suffer from Nicholls disease.

what a pity all the brits dont suffer from nicholls disease, maybe then they would all be joint sixth in the world !!!!!

what a stupid post / idiot !!!

The FIM have shown a lack of forward thinking in this qualifying system I think.

8 go through from the GP Series - Great

1 wild card at each GP - Good for Italy, Czecho, Germany

however, if they are to hold a GP Challenge meeting and finish the meeting with a final, why didnt they allow the top 4 (finalists) to go through to the GP series

This would still leave 3 nominated places for Mr Gollob, Mr Nicholls and Mr ?

--------------------------

Top 8 from GP, 1 wild card at each event plus Jagus, Holta and Andersen leaves 4 nomination spaces.

At present, Jaroslaw Hampel, Antonio Lindback and Matej Zagar are outside the top 8 an these three would be first on the list for nominations.

As you can see below, they are not too far behind Nicholls (6th), Pedersen (7th) and Gollob (8th) but even if they did get above any of these three, they would also be prime candidates for nominations also.

Therefore, I would say its who gets that ONE place available and chances are it will be given to a British rider like Simon Stead. Chris Harris would be one of the reserves anyway after tonights meeting.

1st CRUMP, Jason 20 25 25 25 20 25 16 = 156

2nd HANCOCK, Greg 5 20 20 16 13 9 12 = 95

3rd PEDERSEN, Nicki 25 14 16 4 6 9 11 = 85

4th JONSSON, Andreas 8 5 10 20 7 9 25 = 84

5th ADAMS, Leigh 10 7 11 6 12 16 18 = 80

6th NICHOLLS, Scott 9 9 5 8 8 20 8 = 67

7th PEDERSEN, Bjarne 5 6 7 12 18 10 8 = 66

8th GOLLOB, Tomasz 18 9 18 7 3 7 4 = 66

9th ANDERSEN, Hans - - - - 25 18 20 = 63

10th HAMPEL, Jaroslaw 4 16 8 18 2 4 10 = 62

11th ZAGAR, Matej 9 18 4 9 4 10 4 = 58

12th LINDBÄCK, Antonio 9 2 6 8 16 4 3 = 48

13th RICKARDSSON, Tony 16 6 4 10 5 - - = 41

14th IVERSEN, Niels-Kristian 2 6 4 5 8 5 6 = 36

15th RICHARDSON, Lee 8 4 0 5 9 4 4 = 34

16th PROTASIEWICZ, Piotr 1 3 3 3 1 3 4 = 18

Edited by TNT133

--------------------------

Therefore, I would say its who gets that ONE place available and chances are it will be given to a British rider like Simon Stead. Chris Harris would be one of the reserves anyway after tonights meeting.

Right so Stead should get seeded and Bomber is a reserve!!!!!!

If a Brit gets a nomination its got be Bomber.

With regards to an earlier post calling for Loram, how can you justify putting Loramski in front of Harris or PK?

I am a coventry supporter so i know i am going to be called biased, but i have been thinking for a while that lee richardson is a waste of space as far as the grand prix is concerned, and whilst i agree that simon stead is a good rider, and will only bet better i do feel that the time is right to push bomber into the grand prix series next year and see what he can do.

I think he will start off slow till he finds his feet then go from strength to strength and probably finish just outside the top 8, and judging by his coventry form over the past couple of seasons he will just keep getting better and better.

Didn't Loram opt out of the qualifiers? So I see no reason why he should be in the GP.

Lee Richardson and Chris Harris look the likely two to pick from if one more Brit is allowed. Lee hasn't proved himself this year, and has also opted out of the qualifiers so I wouldn't give it to him. In fact, if he's at Swindon next year, I'll be glad if he's not in it. It might improve his league form.

Therefore it has to be Harris, who has shown he can do some good meetings at international level. I don't see him doing any better than Richardson has this year to be honest, but there's no other choice really.

Loram is a better rider, but Harris deserves it more.