British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wes lake

Scott Autrey 50th

Guest wes lake

I am sure many of you remember Scott Autrey he was a great rider perfect ambassador for the sport and a perfect gentleman well he is 50 on the 9th July and i would like to be the first to wish him a very happy birthday and thanks for the memories. I know that he does still keep in contact with Middlo and that he will pass on the web address so Scott can see any birthday greetings or memories of him racing the members may have.Scott is now living in Texas although originally from So Cal

Thanks Cowboy!!!!!

Lucky Scott shares his birthday with me & Chris Louis

I remember watching Scott ride when I was a kid all those years ago!

Happy Birthday for the 9th, although you still have 7 days left being 49 :!:

Have a good day xx

I remember Scott Autrey very well. Wasn't he one of the first American's to ride over here?

Good description by Wes lake. Just need to keep Steve Hone away from this thread when he gets back from his hols. and I can keep my memories intact. ;-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCOTT.

I remember Scott Autrey very well. Wasn't he one of the first Americans to ride over here? (sorry, I had to delete your apostrophe!!!)

...in the modern era I think you mean Gem. Sprouts Elder and Art Pechar were probably the first in 1928 followed by Ray Tauser, Jack and Cordy Milne, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Benny Kaufman etc. etc. The first clean sweep of the World Championship was achieved by the Americans in 1937 - Jack Milne, Wilbur Lamoreaux and Cordy Milne.

Nevertheless, having said all that, Scott Autrey was the first of a new wave of Americans and laid the foundations for Bruce Penhall, Sam Ermolenko, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill etc. He was a brilliant rider. I remember him well. Happy 50th.

in the modern era I think you mean Gem.
Yes, that's what I meant of course Norbold.

As my life didn't start until 1940 and I'm not a historian like you, nothing exists in my mind before that year. ;-)

Thanks for the list - I didn't realise there were so many.

Oh well Gem, Norbold has probably kept Steve Hone @ bay with that post ;):lol::D:) so your memories are still in tact ;)

As my life didn't start until 1940

Is that where the saying "life begins at 40" comes from Gem? :)

50!!!!! WOW!!!

Happy Birthday Scott............

My memories were of The County Ground, Exeter 1976/7 when i was a wee pup in my short trousers and growing up down in the deepest darkest corners of Devon. Scott was a darling of the crowd down there, A true Gritty rider with a style that was so smooth, and speed that was breathtaking. One of the "new wave" of Californians joining our great sport. I had a sticker on my perspex board of the "bearded one".

Not to mention we had pictures up at home of him(mum was a big big fan).

A great man, that could be said..introduced me to speedway. If it wasn't for Scott, Mum wouldn't have gone anymore, and i would have become a Football fan! :shock:

Thanks Scott.....27 years of supporting Exeter City would probably of finished me off! :D

Lucky Scott shares his birthday with me & Chris Louis

I remember watching Scott ride when I was a kid all those years ago!

Happy Birthday for the 9th, although you still have 7 days left being 49 :!:

Have a good day xx

May I also join the 9th of July birthday chain.

" Happy Birthday Scott "

You certainly helped with the merryment down at Bailie House when you stayed with Ken & Bridget Middleditch.Those were the days what.

All the best and have a Great Day XXXXXXXXXXXX ;);)

Guest cheetahhawk

Happy Birthday Scott for the 9th.

The everlasting memory I have of Scott is from Hackney when Barry Thomas split the pairing of Scott Autrey and Ivan Mauger so that Hackney won the meeting and White City won the league title.

Always a clean rider and a true gentleman off the track too,always had time for the hordes of female fans that used to hang around him. :);)

Just a note to say have heard from Scott and he wants to thank you guys for the birthday wishes.

Scott wrote: "I appreciate the birthday wishes, and even though the big 5 ohhh is still around the corner, all i can say is I have made it this far! When I saw the messages the memories were overwhelming. Although I live a completely different life now I can truly say the time I spent in England, were indeed, some of the best years of my life. There are so many people I remember fondly, and to be remembered, well it just blows me away. Please tell thanks for the great memories they gave me. Our love of speedway is our bond"

Scott

...in the modern era I think you mean Gem. Sprouts Elder and Art Pechar were probably the first in 1928 followed by Ray Tauser, Jack and Cordy Milne, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Benny Kaufman etc. etc. The first clean sweep of the World Championship was achieved by the Americans in 1937 - Jack Milne, Wilbur Lamoreaux and Cordy Milne.

Nevertheless, having said all that, Scott Autrey was the first of a new wave of Americans and laid the foundations for Bruce Penhall, Sam Ermolenko, Greg Hancock, Billy Hamill etc. He was a brilliant rider. I remember him well. Happy 50th.

Not forgetting the late DeWayne Keeter of course. Thanks for the memories mate RIP. Happy birthday Scott. 8)

Just need to keep Steve Hone away from this thread when he gets back from his hols. and I can keep my memories intact.

well i'm back from my hols Gem.... and your memories can stay intact.

Autrey was one of best Americans i have seen ride, and was a good 'clean' rider if you know what i mean ;)

Happy 50th Scott Autrey

p.s... how long did he hold the Exeter track record??

Have a wonderful birthday Scott and come over sometime and see your old mates on the South Coast !

Our love of speedway is our bond"

Scott

I went all cold when I read that bit, what a nice thing to say.