Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest headmixer

Best ever British Rider

I agree falcace. That is the real tragedy of Michael Lee. He could have been the greatest rider of the 80s. It would be interesting to know how Nielsen and Gundersen would have fared had he still been around and whether Nielsen would still be one of the leading candidates for "greatest rider of all time" or whether Lee would have eclipsed him.....

But (sigh) we'll never know.

It was also sad to see him coming back in 1991, when clearly he was past his best. I remember seeing him in the early 80s going to Halifax and wiping the floor with Kenny Carter and doing the same at Belle Vue against Chris Morton. Not many could do that, British or not.

Guest denisthemenis

Surely all these topics 'Best .......' are purely subjective as its impossible to equate riders from different era's and machine technology and abilities. Mike Lee and his off track problems were irrelevant where speedway skills were concerned. So realisticly, we have to come to a conclusion of a selection of riders who were the best of British.

Therefore, we have to include: Tom Farndon, Jack Parker, Freddie Williams, Peter Craven, Mike Lee, Peter Collins, Kenny Carter, Mark Loram. (not sure about Nigel Boocock). This list is not based on anything other than time scale and not in order of abilities.

With respect to Michael Lee - who is the greatest ever footballer from the UK? I'm sure 99 percent would say George Best, yet he is also someone else who is seen as someone who 'wasted' his talent. This is rarely seen as an issue, however, when judging how good he was and neither should it be with Michael Lee who is definitely the greatest British rider I ever saw.

The only one to come close is Peter Collins...... oh, and Martin Ashby of course!

As people have said "best" is very subjective. If you were using set criteria for determining the best rider such as World Championship record then it is easier to put a name to it, but then based on that it would be Peter Craven and Freddie Williams. If you were going for longevity and the time a rider spent at the top, or thereabouts then riders like Booey would be considered. Back to speculation, for what it's worth, but I do believe that if Mike Lee had not gone off the rails he would almost certainly have gone on to be the most decorated British rider of all time

And everyone seems to have missed out Tommy Price.

Surely, if longevity is the key, then there is no doubt that Jack Parker would be the greatest ever. Arguably the best - or at least one of the best three - British riders in the very first year, 1928, and still arguably the best (in fact, almost certainly the best) British rider twenty years later in 1948. The only interruption to being accounted the best probably coming during Tom Farndon's hey-day, c. 1932 - 35.

He even beat Malcolm Simmons fifty years later in 1978 on a very cold day at Hackney!

It totally depends on what criteria you mean by "best". In terms of sheer excitement and the "how did he do that" factor, then Kenny Carter was the king.

For sheer raw talent and making it look easy, then it'd have to be Michael Lee.

For sheer professionalism and application, it'd have to be Peter Collins.

My speedway watching only goes as far back as 1970 so I didn't see the likes of Peter Craven ride.

There were lots of great riders in the 70's who would be worthy candidates for this accolade - Tiger Louis, Gordon Kennett, John Davis etc etc etc

Not forgettting Dave Jessup. Surely the unluckiest rider ever in terms of costly engine failures.