British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest headmixer

Best ever British Rider

I'm a little too young to include the likes of Peter Craven, but based purely on what riders I have seen in action I'd say it would be between Peter Collins, Dave Jessup, and Kenny Carter, with the likes of John Louis Mike Lee and Malcolm Simmonds only slightly down the pecking order.

Overall I'd say Peter Collins.

Hopefully we'll be talking about Scott Nicholls in the same way in ten years time.

Mike Lee and Kenny Carter! Sorry no.

Not sure on the above statement :? :!:

On the track excellent riders but personal lives nothing to do with us :!: and just because they didn't ride for Coventry isn't a good enough reason not to rate them ;):lol::):D

Nothing to do with just because he rode for Coventry.

And re Mike the Bike and Kenny Carter. IMHO - Mike Lee a great talent as a teenager, then developed into a great rider. But, off track does play a part in what happens on track IMHO. He went off the rails. And I think many know that. Wasted talent and skill that is why 'no'

KC - Well I always felt he was too wild and hot headed. But yes another great rider, then 'see off the rails' You can not ignore what happened off track when it ruined or ended what happened on track - "jUST MY OPINION and NO I don't want to create a flame war with anyone. Just clarifying. Thanks

Peter Collins in my time.

A mention for Martin Ashby, a classy, consistent rider who I always enjoyed watching.

Bee,

I've heard many people say how good Booey was, personally I never saw him at his best, but his exploits and the impression he left here in Australia cannot be ignored, infact his exploits whilst leading the British Lions touring teams is legendary in these parts.

Having said that I only remember Little Boy Blue in his latter days at Bristol etc, where he was a mere shadow of his former self, whereas the likes of Peter Collins and Dave Jessup more or less finished on a high.

Guest SURREYDON

Can always remember that we usually had a very solid team in the world team cups with the likes of Jessup,Collins,Simmons,Morton,Kennett and a little later with the likes of Lee and Carter.

We seem to be going through a bit of a lull at the moment with not quite the numbers of proven internationals(not helped by the current crop of injuries).

Hopefully with the current crop of riders in the under 21 competitions this will improve.

:lol::lol:

Oh come on... No brainer! Nigel Booocock look at his record over a great number of years - 17 at Coventry. England International and Captain. OK Never World Champion, but a great rider, with a great record. Of course Peter Craven would be up there too, sadly his career ended so tragically. The other PC as well was a great crowd pleaser and a World Champion. But, Booey outlast them all in terms of overall performances at league and International level. He won WTC medals as well, and would have been British Champion more than once had the Kiwi's not been in the race too!

Would've....could've......

Obviously Nigel Boocock is an all-time hero for Coventry. But his record at the very top level cannot compare with the likes of Peter Collins, Peter Craven, Jack Parker, Mike Lee, Freddie Williams.

I'd love to say Chris Morton - he's my all time hero - but I'll judge this with my head not my heart.

his record at the very top level cannot compare with the likes of...... Peter Craven, Jack Parker.......Freddie Williams.

Gee whizz Falcace you didn't look that old when we met, yet you remember all those golden greats :shock:

What was it that Rod Stewart sang ....."You wear it well" :P:D

Oil of Olay ML. ;)

I've read a lot and those guys mentioned all come across well, both in terms of their records and abilities.

Oh come on... No brainer! Nigel Booocock

so are we talking about British riders that were consistent and good team men or are we talking about riders with that 'x-factor' that could realise their potential??

That depends on the individual and how they define 'best' rider Steve..... there are arguements on both sides imo!

I think when you look at the actual achievements of British riders overall, then Peter Craven must be the ONE....

He was led astray !? Whatever happened it does not diminish his achievements-It would be like saying Jimi Hendrix was not a great guitarist,at least Mike stopped before he travelled all the way down that rode-I do not condone Mike Lee after he went off the rails but on the track -he was the greatest british rider ever in my opinion

In a strange sort of way it is a compliment when people talk of Mike Lee as a wasted talent. After all, he won the lot - World Final, World Pairs, World Long Track, British Final, World Team Cup. So, when people say he wasted his talent, they are saying he had such rare ability that he could have won all of the above again and again and again.