British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ezekiel

Mark Loram

I think if anything showed why Loram shouldn't bother with the GPs again it was Sullivan's abject performance in Malilla last night. Sullivan, like Loram, was a GP winner, but his last couple of GP seasons, again like Loram's, were awful. But, people cried, Sullivan's back to his best. Their time in the GPs have come and gone. They belong to the past.

Do you really want to see Loram scoring 2-3 points in the GPs? Didn't think so.

True Sub, but Loram's performance in his last year in the GP's was not down to his form, but down to the way the competition was. If we remember, especially in Britain, he was the top British averager and was in brilliant form in 2004. Being kicked out after often just two races was something he couldn't stop due to his chronic inability to gate. If you can't gate, especially at the start of a meeting when overtaking is slim to none, you'll struggle. Thing with Loram is, boy he can race. So as the meeting goes on, and the track improves, he'll shine more. Which is why the current series would suit him far more, as he'll get at least 5 rides. I'm not saying he'd set the series alight, but he'd certainly score more than just 1 point.

Sullivan IMO isn't a good example, he hasn't been right the last couple of seasons and although being back at Peterborough has seen him pick up a little, he still isn't Flyin' Ryan as far as I'm concerned. Loram is by no means back to his best either, Heats 13 and 15 he never seems to be able to win anymore. I personally think his injury at the start of last season is the reason for this, but that's my opinion.

I'm not sure about re-entering Loram full time into the GP's again, but I do think if he continues this form into next season, that he should at the least get the Wildcard spot for Cardiff.

Edited by DartfordHammer

Sorry but Loram - as a good a rider as he is - is like putting Hamill back in the GP series  or Wiltshire.

I think you need to go forward now and leave dead wood behind. Lets face it - how many years can Loram go for taking age etc into account.

What next - andy smith back in for his 1 or 2 points ech week.

In my opinion (thats an open opportunity to smash my opionion by the way?!?!?) get rid of pepe, and Richardson and bring some new blood through. Bomber Harris can do no worse than Richardson if you MUST have a British rider, I would prefer to see Rune Holta in than Richardson.

Gollob has passed it now too.

The GP needs a refresh over the winter to get it to the top of its game.

Gollob passed it? Not quite yet me thinks. Older, wiser, still not happy on temporary & wet tracks, maybe. Passed it? I hope not.

With the 3 x remaining tracks to come, I can still see him top eight and I hope we get the enjoyment of seeing him ride at the top level for a few more years yet. One of the sport's true entertainers and a top bloke.

Agree about Holta. He is unlucky not to be in this season.

Isnt this Loram's last season?

Gollob passed it?  Not quite yet me thinks.  Older, wiser, still not happy on temporary & wet tracks, maybe.  Passed it?  I hope not.

With the 3 x remaining tracks to come, I can still see him top eight and I hope we get the enjoyment of seeing him ride at the top level for a few more years yet.  One of the sport's true entertainers and a top bloke.

Agree about Holta.  He is unlucky not to be in this season.

Gollob has peaked and is on his way back down again unfortunately. Still some signs of brilliance but they seem to be quite rare now. IMO he was better on his way up to teh top of his form than at the moment (on his way back down).

As you say though - a thouroughly entertaining rider - when he is in a bit of form.

Dunno where I heard it, on tv or where, but Mark said that when his final season comes he will not announce the fact like Rickardsson did. Awwwwwww it'll be a sad :(

but Loram's performance in his last year in the GP's was not down to his form, but down to the way the competition was. If we remember, especially in Britain, he was the top British averager and was in brilliant form in 2004. Being kicked out after often just two races was something he couldn't stop due to his chronic inability to gate.

Don't you remember that was the same system when he won the World Championship, so you can't put it down to the track and his "inability to gate", especially when you get a 40 year-old norwegian bloke beating him, cringe or what.

I say drop Rico, forget about Loram, and get Bomber in those GP's!!!

Edited by Joester

IMO i can see 1 Brit only in the GP's

if the GP series was to finish now

you got a top 8 of - Crump, Hancock, N Pedersen, Jonnson, Adams. Nicholls, Gollob, Bjarne Pedersen

4 places to be handed out - Linback, hampel and Zagar plus one more

3 places from vetlanda - IMO Hans, Holta and say PK to get through

So one place left and lots of good riders out there, sorry no room for Loram, Bomber or Stead IMO

even so with those riders, GP series 2007 looks to be very good.

Gollob, Sullivan and Loram are past their sell by dates....

As much as I would like to see Mark back in the GP Series I think it would be a mistake. I think we need to bring the younger Brits along and filling the series with riders such as Loram, as entertainig as he is is not the way forward. I agree that Stead and Harris are probably not ready, but if we are to have 2 Brits in the series next year, then I feel these are our best two hopes at the moment. Richardson is better than both of them but he is too inconsistant and suffers with machinery problems to much.

If we keep excluding Steady and Harris from events such as this, when and where are they going to get the experience for them to be at that level. As many people have said, it is OK racing Adams, Crump and Hancock in the league, but the GP is a different kettle of fish and all riders within it up there game in GP's.

I agree with SCB in that the GP Series should be the best 16 riders in the world at that particular time and riders should not be in because a country is not represented.

As I have said I would love to see Mark back in the series but I don't think it will happen and if Steady and Harris don't qualify themselves, I think we may have one Brit in the 2007 Series.

Don't you remember that was the same system when he won the World Championship, so you can't put it down to the track and his "inability to gate".

I say drop Rico, forget about Loram, and get Bomber in those GP's!!!

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the system changed to the 24 rider 'eliminator' series in 2002. Meaning Loram won his title when the GP's were like they are now.

So yes, I can put it down to those two things. :wink:

Edited by DartfordHammer

True Sub, but Loram's performance in his last year in the GP's was not down to his form, but down to the way the competition was. If we remember, especially in Britain, he was the top British averager and was in brilliant form in 2004. Being kicked out after often just two races was something he couldn't stop due to his chronic inability to gate. If you can't gate, especially at the start of a meeting when overtaking is slim to none, you'll struggle. Thing with Loram is, boy he can race. So as the meeting goes on, and the track improves, he'll shine more. Which is why the current series would suit him far more, as he'll get at least 5 rides. I'm not saying he'd set the series alight, but he'd certainly score more than just 1 point.

Sullivan IMO isn't a good example, he hasn't been right the last couple of seasons and although being back at Peterborough has seen him pick up a little, he still isn't Flyin' Ryan as far as I'm concerned. Loram is by no means back to his best either, Heats 13 and 15 he never seems to be able to win anymore. I personally think his injury at the start of last season is the reason for this, but that's my opinion.

I'm not sure about re-entering Loram full time into the GP's again, but I do think if he continues this form into next season, that he should at the least get the Wildcard spot for Cardiff.

What no one has considered here is that whoever gets the slot has to have a comprehensive sponsorship package behind them to qualify or be wild-carded and to then do themselves justice in any GP, this isn't something that many of the young or even established riders being suggested can just pull together quickly. Remember that riders of the GP callibre of Billy Hammill had this problem.

Witchnut

Are you sure? I was under the impression that the system changed to the 24 rider 'eliminator' series in 2002. Meaning Loram won his title when the GP's were like they are now.

So yes, I can put it down to those two things.  :wink:

Well you'd be wrong then. 24 rider format has been used since 1999 AFAIK. It was tweaked a little circa 2002 I think (can't rememebr how tho! Mind playing trick maybe?)

Loram had to win his title with the all sudden death format.

Correct Shawn. Loram's World Title was won using the knock-out formula.

Joe Screen throttling back so as not to pass Loram for 2nd in heat 20 at Bydgoszcz is a vivid memory.

Well you'd be wrong then.  24 rider format has been used since 1999 AFAIK.  It was tweaked a little circa 2002 I think (can't rememebr how tho! Mind playing trick maybe?)

Loram had to win his title with the all sudden death format.

Tis true! just got out my programmes from 2000 to confirm that one!

However, back then there were only 6 rounds compared to the 9 or 10 of the last couple of years, also the year that Mark won all were raced on real tracks not the one-off's that came in from the following year!