British Speedway Forum
bmth11

How The Hell Was Nicholls Excluded ?

Hans got away with that one, makes his comments against Harris seem even more stupid, are all the danes on a mission to see who can flash the most false smiles in a meeting?

This was a classic case of six and two three's neither Scotty or Hans were totally innocent.

Pesrsonally I think we are skirting over the major subject and thats the inconsistency of refereeing in a single GP not over the whole series, Mr Grotski (sp?) should have the same rules for all riders not one if your top of the rankings and one for everyone else. The GP organisers should stick to one referee doing the whole lot of GP rounds not this swapping over here and there like they do now.

It was 50/50 in my opinion and the conditions played a partt, however Scotty seems to have become obsessed with Hans and i wonder how he would have faired had he not had the red mist descending knowing Hans was in his semi.

It was 50/50 in my opinion and the conditions played a partt, however Scotty seems to have become obsessed with Hans and i wonder how he would have faired had he not had the red mist descending knowing Hans was in his semi.

I'd say was 50 / 50 too, certainly could've gone either way, but from the way the ref was calling Hans was in front and Scott touched him. The other fallers weren't touched so were excluded.

If it'd hadn't been Hans I'd think Scott would've been past and gone. He seemed quicker but wanted to muscle his way past.

Nicholls caused Andersen to fell. End of.

MrMungo! A rather blinkered view for a man of your considerable speedway knowledge :P

Did you not see Andersen leaning all over Nicholls in an attempt to stop him going past? Or did you ignore that bit? :wink:

As Kelvin Tatum said, Andersen's body was 'in completely the wrong position' going down the straight :rolleyes:

As I have said on the main thread it could have gone either way and Scotty was unlucky on this occasion, after getting lucky in Lonigo. Andersen could also have felt hard done by if he had been thrown out, but thats speedway :)

And if nothing else these two characters make for great viewing when they meet on track :approve:

I don't think Nicholls would've been excluded if the earlier Nicki P incident hadn't happened - two riders down in successive runnings of the same heat and both after clashes with Nicholls.

Hans and Scotty, Scotty and Hans.... personally im looking forward to these twho racing each other the rest of the season and beyond....should be great!

Just what I said....Cov v Pboro on Sky's a good place to start. ;) Could be very interesting...

So Nicholls gave Andersen a nudge coming off bend 4. We see riders nudging each other all the time at this level. It's the world championship and riders are going to ride hard. Compared to the AJ/Pedersen clash in the SWC it was tame!

However Hans rode down the middle of the straight and was leaning off his bike into Nicholls entering the corner with his elbow stuck out at practically a right angle into Scott. Replays also show that going into the corner, Scott was ahead. If you ride down the middle of the straight, leaning into another rider there is a chance you will come off. If Hans had rode a natural line down the straight and not leaned into Nicholls, Nicholls would have made a clean pass and Hans would not have come down. Therefore Hans falling was entirely his own doing.

Considering the precedent the referee had already made in the meeting with the Lindback and Pedersen exclusions then Scotts exclusion was clearly the wrong call.

MrMungo! A rather blinkered view for a man of your considerable speedway knowledge  :P

But Baggy...blinkered is my middle name!

Did you not see Andersen leaning all over Nicholls in an attempt to stop him going past? Or did you ignore that bit?   :wink:

I saw that (what a relief my TV isn't on the blink after all) but the incident didn't happen on the start/finish straight. It happened going into the first bend (and Andersen was riding his own bike at that point, not Nicholls'.). Sure it may have "riled" Nicholls up, hence the incident which followed.

At the end of the day, the track was wet. Very, very wet. It must've been difficult enough to stay on the bike at the best of times, nevermind when you're being "nudged" going into a bend.

Edited by MrMungo

So Nicholls gave Andersen a nudge coming off bend 4.  We see riders nudging each other all the time at this level.  It's the world championship and riders are going to ride hard.  Compared to the AJ/Pedersen clash in the SWC it was tame!

However Hans rode down the middle of the straight and was leaning off his bike into Nicholls entering the corner with his elbow stuck out at practically a right angle into Scott.  Replays also show that going into the corner, Scott was ahead.  If you ride down the middle of the straight, leaning into another rider there is a chance you will come off.  If Hans had rode a natural line down the straight and not leaned into Nicholls, Nicholls would have made a clean pass and Hans would not have come down.  Therefore Hans falling was entirely his own doing.

Considering the precedent the referee had already made in the meeting with the Lindback and Pedersen exclusions then Scotts exclusion was clearly the wrong call.

im glad you and most of the people on here were watching the same meeting and saw the same things in this race and others. pitty some of the muppetts on here were watching through hans tinted glasses

But Baggy...blinkered is my middle name!

:D

So was Andersen not still leaning on Nicholls when they entered the corner? At the end of the day its a GP and nobody in a Semi Final is going to shut off, and with the track as wet as it was somebody was bound to come a cropper, just happened to be Hans :rolleyes:

Classic 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' for me ;)

Personally, having watched SCB's replay as I don't have the benefit of Sky (cheers SCB), I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Nicholls rode hard, Andersen rode hard, both pushing with elbows. Nicholls gives Andersen a bit of a shove going into the bend. You can say that happens a lot, but how often do you see riders go down from it? More than you think. Seems to me like Andersen gets pushed out, tries to turn his front wheel back in and it just falls away under him.

Either one could have gone, Nicholls for nudging Andersen off, or Andersen for causing the stoppage.

As for those saying 'oh Hans can do no wrong' and accusing people of wearing rose-tinted specs, take off your own and try and view it with IMPARTIALITY. Instead of jumping on Hans straight away because it was against Nicholls.

Edited by DartfordHammer

So was Andersen not still leaning on Nicholls when they entered the corner?

Classic 'six of one, half a dozen of the other' for me  ;)

Both riders were at fault as I saw it. To a varying degree. Andersen could've rode it differently. He's an aggressive defensive rider. He defends his lead (or second place, whatever) until it's gone which is why he's so great to watch (IMO).

The crash was caused by Nicholls trying to barge himself through. (Andersen was narrowily leading all the way down the straight)

Both riders were giving elbows left, right and center. Had they been concentrating on their own races it may never had happened, but if did. Such is life.

The Andersen/Nicholls stuff is great to watch. Fantastic entertainment. I do sometimes wonder how much longer it'll stay "on-track" though! :blink: