British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whowasthatberntpersson

Peter Craven Book

It's not all that complicated, Dick.

I wasn't quoting the book. I was quoting what Peter says are quotes from the book (and I've no doubt they are.) I think if you look back to his posting dated 14th January you will see the source.

Incidentally, if you are implying that I'm either lying or making this up then I'd be pleased to hear what you think the motive is.

That's a fabulous web site Dick Dastardly. I'm very impressed and pleased to see such a memorial to a rider who was not just a world champion but a great entertainer. The picture in the gallery with George Hunter is rather poignant. I had forgotten just how young George was at the time.

I don't wish to prolong the discussion on the matter but I have spoken to two friends of mine both of whom were speedway riders at that time and both of whom were at the match that night. One is almost an authority on what happened and was standing only a few yards from where the accident occurred (Old Meadowbank did not have a dog track between the crowd and the track - indeed you could virtually lean over the fence and touch the riders if they came close enough!). He confirmed that Peter Craven, following a bit of rabble rousing by Ian Hoskins with the crowd, did start that fateful heat off scratch. The crash occurred on the first bend of lap three when George Hunter's bike seized solid. George did not actually fall off but Peter, who was so close behind and had been tailing George since they left the gate, had to take evasive action immediately with the tragic result that is now part of speedway history.

I was at this meeting, age 14 and stood right at the starting gate (I was one of the first through the turnstyles having queued from 5.30pm).

Merlin's account is accurate.

Peter Craven did start off scratch.

Willie Templeton took part in the original start, but was unfit for the re-run(believe he fainted) and was replaced by reserve Dudley McKean. Norman Nevitt replaced Peter Craven.

I have written notes in my programme at the time, which confirm this.

If DD wishes to accept fiction, that is his prerogative, but please do not patronise those who were there, regarding "fading memories" :angry:

In reply to Peters, are you suggesting Peter Craven was outgated by 2 lower order riders, it does not have to be the case, it makes sense if you think Craven had started 15 metres back that he had to pass the other 2 riders to be in 2nd place. It could be that he simply outgated the two lower order riders, from the normal start.

Did this little disagreement ever get resolved, whether Peter was handicapped or off the gate?

At the time this discussion was going on I couldn't find the booklet called "Peter Craven. Tribute to a great little Champion" which cost me all of two shillings back in the 1960's.

In here John Gibson says he spoke to Peter in the pits before his final fateful race.

I asked if he would follow his normal practice in National League matches and start off a 20 yard handicap in his next race with Billy Powell and Monarchs George Hunter and Willie Templeton. Peter replied "The way these boys have been going tonight I honestly doubt if I could start 20 yards behind and have any chance of beating them, but if the fans want it that way it suits me..." The fans didn't want it that way, so the seemingly unbeatable Craven was off scratch with the other three riders. The race, which normally takes just under 70 seconds was cut short before it was half over and resulted in the first speedway fatality in Scotland since the war.

The vivid report by the visitor to your website, Dick Dastardly brought as much of the race back to me as my memory allows. I felt a chill reading it again - it goes to show, I guess, how we forget these things over time.

It's only fitting that the plaque in honour of Peter Craven remains to this day just inside the entrance hall to New Meadowbank stadium and, together, with your website provides some tangible memory of that terrible time.

Yes, it certainly looks like this is settled once and for all. I'm grateful to everone who contributed to this thread. John Gibson, by the way, was the Edinburgh Evening News reporter who covered all of the meetings at Meadowbank, and also in the Speedway Star under the name of "Jock Anderson".

Dick Distardly should take some considerable comfort from the fact that, as everone knows, Peter was doing what he did best - lining himself up for an attempt at a spectacular overtake - when the tragedy happened.

Incidentally, at that time I had the ridiculous notion that I fancied becoming a lawyer (working class kid - no chance!) I therefore went along to the subsequent court inquest into Peter's death some months later.

Ian, I have been asked by Jim Henry, editor of Speedway Researcher and Scottish Speedway Historian if you have the official Sherrif Court records of the inquest as they no longer exist and he is researching in to the events of that night.

Incidentally, he was also there and agrees that Peter Craven started off scratch.

Edited by norbold

Incidentally, at that time I had the ridiculous notion that I fancied becoming a lawyer (working class kid - no chance!) I therefore went along to the subsequent court inquest into Peter's death some months later.

Ian, I have been asked by Jim Henry, editor of Speedway Researcher and Scottish Speedway Historian if you have the official Sherrif Court records of the inquest as they no longer exist and he is researching in to the events of that night.

Incidentally, he was also there and agrees that Peter Craven started off scratch.

Sorry, Norbold, but I did have a search for these without success. I guess they were destroyed years ago, but who knows.

As I mentioned earlier, however, I did attend the inquest all those years ago. I expect to be at Armadale early this year and I'll try to contact Jim Henry then with a view to telling him what I can remember.

This has beeen a really interesting thread. Just such a shame it has to be about an awful tragedy.

Dick, Jim Henry's one of the good guys.

I have a copy of his "Speedway in Scotland", which I keep on my boat. It always makes a long voyage go much faster.

Thanks for that, Ian. I shall pass on your message to Jim.

Guest Cliftonhill

Hi - just joined the forum today and apologies in advance if this message might be better posted on another forum but anyway - I have a copy of an old book titled 'The First Book of British Speedway', published 1950 by Bonar Books. I suspect it might be worth a bit but have absolutely no idea how much. Any ideas out there?

It's a long time since I watched speedway - used to love going to see Edinburgh Monarchs and then Glasgow Tigers - noticed the 'whowasthatberntpersson' moniker someone has - brought the memories flooding back, always preferred Reidar Eide myself...