British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whowasthatberntpersson

Peter Craven Book

Although I am normally such a modest chap

Don't be modest mate, you've done speedway proud. If I'd had just one book published I'd be a very happy man indeed. Well done, & all the best for the future. ;)

Only slightly off topic, I recently came across what must be a very rare action photo of Malcolm Craven.

Taken at the Sydney Sports Ground it appears in the recently released "A History of Australian Speedway" written by Sydney scribe Jim Shepherd.

The book also carries a photo of Peter with the heading "England's Peter Craven was an idol at Rowley park" (Adelaide), and went on to describe how Craven enjoyed a fierce rivalry with Australia's Jack Young during the 1959/60 season.

Ordered the book for myself for Xmas, and KPjr may read it when she's a little older. Excellent read, and a sorely missed exponent of track craft. My only criticsm would be that the proof reading isn't all it could be...

The book seems to affirm that PC did start with a 20yd handicap on that fateful night...

The book seems to affirm that PC did start with a 20yd handicap on that fateful night...

I was there and can recall this vividly - it was the saddest night I ever experienced at a speedway track.

Peter started each of his first three races from a 20-yard handicap, and was due to do so in his last race. However, everyone in the stadium, it seemed, wanted to see local hero George Hunter in a straight head-to-head with Peter. It was an inter-league challenge match, and there was nothing at stake other than individual pride. It was therefore agreed that Peter would start from scratch, alongside George.

The rest, sadly, is history...

Well, with all due respect to what others are telling you, my recollection is that this race went off scratch. It's over 40 years ago, though, so I'd be pleased to have this confirmed by someone else who was there - Merlin?

As to whether George would still have been in the lead after three laps, I think you would have to have seen him at his peak around Meadowbank to know the answer to that one. On his day, in the mood, and given the right track conditions, George could have beaten anyone there. One thing's for sure - George was seldom out-gated!

I also remember just how fantastic Peter had looked that night. You often hear the word "breathtaking" used in relation to a rider's performance. Well, Peter WAS breathtaking! He was tiny (5'2" as I remember) and smaller riders always look faster, don't they? Peter, however, was so far over on the bends that he appeared to be looking UNDER his handlebars! This was the one and only time I ever saw him, and looking back I realise just how privileged I was (along with some 8000 others who were there.)

By the way, I was also at Belle Vue a couple of weeks later for the Provincial League Riders Championship, where George Hunter was one of the favourites to win. He didn't, thanks to bike problems, but I can't begin to imagine what his emotional state was so soon after Peter's death.

I've now had a chance to compare notes with Merlin and Mickthemonarch on the Monarchs Chat Board about this.

Merlin is fairly sure the race went off scratch. Mick is absolutely adamant that it did. All three of us were there (unknown to each other at that time.) We can all also remember the crowd demanding that the race be run off scratch, because we all thought that George had a chance of beating Peter.

Whatever anyone else tells you, Dick, just remember they're arguing with a combined speedway experience in excess of 120 years!

I was there and can recall this vividly - it was the saddest night I ever experienced at a speedway track.

Peter started each of his first three races from a 20-yard handicap, and was due to do so in his last race. However, everyone in the stadium, it seemed, wanted to see local hero George Hunter in a straight head-to-head with Peter. It was an inter-league challenge match, and there was nothing at stake other than individual pride. It was therefore agreed that Peter would start from scratch, alongside George.

The rest, sadly, is history...

I was also at Old Meadowbank on that fateful Friday night when Peter Craven went through the saftey fence. Although time dulls the memory I'm pretty sure you're right Ian that, following requests from the spectators, Peter Craven started that heat off scratch. It was such a thrill to see George Hunter scorch into the lead from the tapes because we knew we were in for a great race. As you say, the rest, unfortunately, is history. Strange that it has been suggested that George Hunter fell on the last lap. I recollect the accident occurring on the first bend of the second lap when George's bike seized solid. I also don't recollect George actually falling although that is irrelevant as Peter Craven was forced to take evasive action to avoid rider and machine. He swerved to the outside, lost control and went through the safety fence head first with such force that his crash helmet was a complete write off. We didn't realise then just how badly Peter was injured and were absolutely stunned to learn a few days later that he had lost his life.

Sometime later that same season Edinburgh went to Belle Vue in a memorial match for Peter Craven and George Hunter rode that night and top scored for the Monarchs who, needless to say, were well beaten (52-26?) by the Aces.

There is a plaque inside the Meadowbank Sports Centre dedicated to Peter Craven which can be seen just to the right of the main entrance to the facility.

I'm pretty sure you're right Ian that, following requests from the spectators, Peter Craven started that heat off scratch.

First of all, I don't wish to get involed in any kind of arguement here. I wasn't born until 1976, but I have Peter Craven's book and it differs to what is being said in this thread. As a result, I am confused. A piece in the book says "I then made a tragic mistake, reflected Hoskins. I asked Peter in the pits, if he would care to start 20 yards behind the others in his final heat of the match. As there was nothing at stake, he sportingly agreed."

Strange that it has been suggested that George Hunter fell on the last lap. I recollect the accident occurring on the first bend of the second lap when George's bike seized solid. I also don't recollect George actually falling although that is irrelevant as Peter Craven was forced to take evasive action to avoid rider and machine.

According to the book, it happened on the final lap. Here is a piece from it - "....he soon began to close in on Hunter, and the crowd roared their encouragement to their Scottish star as the spectacular Belle Vue superstar got closer and closer with each turn. Then as the pair entered the final lap, Craven was very close behind....". It goes on "....But he over-slid on the banked track and fell. Craven immediately took avoidance action and swerved to avoid him, but he was too close and his front wheel struck the back wheel of his fallen competitor...."

Peter, it wasn't a case of him being asked to start 20 yards behind in his last race. Remember that we are talking about 1963, when the top five in the National League (Craven, Briggs, Moore, Fundin and Knutsson) were all required to start 20 yards back in each and ever league match. He had done so in each of his previous races.

It stands to reason that the only change that could have been made would have been for him to start from scratch, as the crowd wanted, and that's exactly what he did.

Who would have won the race had the tragedy not occurred? I don't know. Both riders were flying - George was a white-liner, so Peter looked faster. Meadowbank was far from being a one-line track. After 40 years of seeing that race in my mind over and over again I still wouldn't put money on the outcome. Were it not for the outcome people would certainly still talk about this race as one of the greatest ever, even without a pass having taken place.

Incidentally, at that time I had the ridiculous notion that I fancied becoming a lawyer (working class kid - no chance!) I therefore went along to the subsequent court inquest into Peter's death some months later. A very emotional George Hunter gave evidence, as did Willie Templeton, who from behind them probably had the best view in the stadium. Although this topic certainly isn't one appropriate for humour, I still smile when I recall Willie trying to explain to the court his evidence that "I laid the bike doon tae avoid them!"

The book also states Willie Templeton was not in the race, he had been relaced by another rider whose name escapes me

Dick, I certainly did not intend to be patronising toward anyone, but the facts are these.

Three life-long supporters who were actually there on the night believe that Peter started off scratch. One of them, an accredited expert on the sport, uses the word "definitely".

At the inquest, William Ewart Templeton gave evidence that he was in the race and had to lay his bike down to avoid George and Peter. (I only know his middle name from the inquest, by the way). Are we suggesting Willie obstructed the course of justice when he knew there were 8000 witnesses present?

The only possible reasons I can give for Ian Hoskins being wrong about this is that he is no longer a young man - nor am I, but I'm a good bit younger than he is! His account of Peter's pass ofd the other two riders is pure Hoskins. "He soon began to close in on Hunter, and the crowd roared their encouragement to their Scottish star as the spectacular Belle Vue superstar got closer and closer with each turn...."

This is a debate which could rumble on forever, and one which I have always assumed to be unprovable either way. However, it may be that there is a guaranteed way to resolve it. I imagine that inquest records from the early sixties are still available and are a matter of public record - would you accept the transcript as conclusive evidence of what actually happened that Friday night?

The only possible reasons I can give for Ian Hoskins being wrong about this is that he is no longer a young man - nor am I, but I'm a good bit younger than he is! His account of Peter's pass ofd the other two riders is pure Hoskins. "He soon began to close in on Hunter, and the crowd roared their encouragement to their Scottish star as the spectacular Belle Vue superstar got closer and closer with each turn...."

Pure Hoskins? He didn't quote that. The book states: "Hunter was in front coming out of the first bend, while Peter began negotiating his way through the pack - effortlessly passing his partner Powell and the other Monarchs rider Dudley McKean - replacing Willie Templeton." (The quote is not someone's opinion, as it's not in italics in the book).

Are you seriously suggesting Craven was outgated by McKean and Powell, as well as Hunter?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I wasn't there, so it would be foolish of me to say who is right and who is wrong. I'm just taking bits from the book that differ from what you say.

Like you say, this could go on forever, but I think I've said enough. One thing that everyone seems agree on is that it was an accident.

Peter, I certainly did not suggest that Peter had to pass anyone before he started to chase George. That appears to be what the book says, though. I can promise you that nobody in the stadium that night was watching anyone other than George and Peter. I doubt whether he had to pass either of the other two.

As for DD's question "Have you read the book?", the answer is that I have not. However, I did see the race, which I suspect puts me at an advantage over the book's author (whoever he was).

A quote in the book taken from an interview with George Hunter in 1998 published in 5-1 magazine seems to add weight to Ian's argument. George says "if only Peter had beaten me out of the gate that night" That would only be possible if he was actually lined up at the gate with Hunter.

Getting complicated, isn't it?

I know Ian Hoskins was there - I saw him. As for my description of some of the text quoted from the book as "pure Hoskins", it appears to be very much in his style. I would not be surprised to learn that he had written it. Maybe he did.

The number of long-term fans who were there that night and share my recollection has now risen to six. Reluctant though I am to in any way diminish people's memories of Peter Craven, the fact is that he started from scratch in his last race. Did he have to overtake two other riders to get into a position to challenge George Hunter? Not to my recollection. George's engine seized on the first bend of the third lap. Some witnesses say he stayed on and did not fall. I honestly can't remember - I was willing Peter Craven to get up and walk away, as you do, despite knowing that really wasn't going to happen.

Whatever books written years later, by people who may or may not have been there, may or may not say, the publication I do recall was the Speedway Star headline following Peter's death. "The King Is Dead". That just about summed up how we all felt.