British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bee

Individuals and Test Matches

You'd think that the powers to be might try bringing back a few of the prestigious events that Speedway used to have. - Sure some were fixture fillers, and not well supported. But I quite liked the following : Daily Express Spring Classic at Wimbledon as a curtain raiser on new season. And of course the Wills Internationale.

At Coventry I liked the Midland Riders Championship and the Brandonapolis. The Superama at Hackney and the Olympique at Wolverhampton (I know they still hold than some times) How about the Golden Gauntlets at Cradley and Leicester before they closed.?

You don't get any Best Pairs meeting now either... That would be a crowd puller.... How about Hamill and Hancock, and Adams and Crump, Rickardsson with just about any other Swede! Pedersen and Pedersen the Karlssons (OK Max - just why did he change his name?)

And then who remembers Test Matches? England or GB v Poland - Russia Sweden etc And how about the International series they used to have in the 70's

Too me I think we need a World Cup based on 7 man teams. It should be held during a 2-3 week period in the summer. With the smaller Nations in one group with the winners joining 7 seeded Nations in a straight Knock Out with the Final at Cardiff - (Or Wembley when its ready) - Sell the TV rights and have our own World Cup say every two years. And different Nations could stage it.

have you missed out on what riders actually do these days?

how do you suppose the 'promoters' will get the top riders together for an individual meeting?

too much money being made in sweden and poland to worry about an extra meeting in england. and then the longtrack commitments on top of that.....

i think it's hard enough trying to get some riders to ride in a league match without throwing those extras in.

i see your point though... i was brought up going to wimbledon and enjoyed all the big individuals they used to have...internationale, spring classic, laurels etc, but i just think with gp's taking up so much time, effort and money, the riders won't be interested.

we are at the time where riders can pick and choose if they even want to ride in their national championships.

i also remember the international league they had in the 70's... what was it... England, Sweden, Rest of the World... who else was in it?

When I was a "Young" fan, the highlight of my year would be to go to Wimbledon for the National League Riders Championships, unfortunately My Uncle never actualy won but all three times he attended he was on the rostrum which to me was just as good as winning....... I could never speak for ages after all the shouting and screaming for "Uncle Ted" and I think Mrs Moon (Excellent Canterbury Fan) was just as bad too!

I can remember the last time he rode there and as the riders came round the track in soft top cars with some ol' Slappe :oops: oops I mean pretty girl ;):lol::D I shouted out to him, he looked over said "Hiya Shazz" I was so proud of him (god I'm nearly in tears here writing this :!: ) this girl next to me said "is that your real Uncle?" I just turned to her and said "yep, My Uncle, My Hero".

Those were the days, can I have them back please :?:

In the absence of Shazzy, (I hope she won't mind me telling you), it is Ted Hubbard. I'm sure she will fill in with a few more details later.

The World League consisted if I remember right of England Australia New Zealand Sweden a combined Norway/Denmark and Rest of the World I think Poland were in it as well.

Oh and Gem.... Hi, how is old pawprints. Does Bill and Anthony still get up Brandon and stand with you? If so say 'hi' from me in the Philippines. (John)

Oh and Gem.... Hi, how is old pawprints. Does Bill and Anthony still get up Brandon and stand with you? If so say 'hi' from me in the Philippines. (John)

Just caught up with this now John and answered in the other section. (Elite League - Poole v Coventry 9th July). Lovely to hear from you.

Pawprint was six years old on June 11th and is a lot more sociable now as she was a bit nervous when she was a puppy, as I'm sure you know. ;-)

She's one beautiful lady now, Gem.

Belated Happy Birthday, PP :)

Guest Lars

Think the World League was 1973 with a England V Sweden final at Wembley. PC beat Anders Michanek in a run off (Anders excluded for bringing down PC) after both teams finished with 39 points only 13 heats in those days.

Can anyone remember who were in the teams?

I can only remember

ENGLAND

P.Collins

T.Betts

M.Simmonds

SWEDEN

A.Michanek

ENGLAND 39

Simmons 10

Betts 10

PC 9

Wilson 6

Ashby 2

Louis 2

E. Boocock 0

SWEDEN 39

Michanek 11

Lofqvist 10

Persson 8

T. Jansson 5

Holmqvist 3

S. Sjosten 2

Nygren 0

Regards

ENGLAND 39

Simmons 10

Betts 10

PC 9

Wilson 6

Ashby 2

Louis 2

E. Boocock 0

SWEDEN 39

Michanek 11

Lofqvist 10

Persson 8

T. Jansson 5

Holmqvist 3

S. Sjosten 2

Nygren 0

Regards

The run off to decide the series winner will go down in history as one of the most talked about races ever. I've watched it many many times and still can't say for sure if excluding Michanek was the correct decision.

I was very young when this series took place but I can still remember my old man waking me up to watch the television coverage (the same coverage as the video which is available today)

I also remember the meetings at Cradley between a combined Norway and Denmark team and Sweden. The very mysterious Russians also appeared at Dudley Wood, I remember because one of them tried to swap a badge with this tiny Black Country Kid, who was too scared to oblige.

Some great memories of now defunct events.

The Schwartz/Sigalos domination of the 1982 pairs Final.

The 1982 England v USA test series.

The Goldon Hammer at Cradley.

The Internationale at Wimbledon.

There are plenty more, wonder if we'll be talking about events that take place now in the same way twenty years on?

Guest Lars
The run off to decide the series winner will go down in history as one of the most talked about races ever. I've watched it many many times and still can't say for sure if excluding Michanek was the correct decision.

Thanks for the details, I can just about remember being taken to the final as a birthday present. Remember the run off though and have to admit I still think England were fortunate to get the decision.

Was this the meeting that had a thunderstorm included in the price? I remember being at Wembley for some international when a massive sheet of lightening lit up the sky just as the Brits crossed the line but never being a great one for stats I can't be sure if this is the one. I do remember Bettsy and Simmo being there tho.

I also remember being at Wembley seated on the start of the home straight when a bomb scare was announced. The seating was that tight that each row had to stand in unison to be able to check under the seats as requested.

I also remember being at Wembley seated on the start of the home straight when a bomb scare was announced. The seating was that tight that each row had to stand in unison to be able to check under the seats as requested.

I know this is slightly off topic but I also remember the announcer at Wembley continually asking everyone seated on the bench seats on the home straight to move up prior to the 75 World Final. I found a John Louis rosette during one of the moves and my Mom asked me to give it to one of the Ipswich fans seated nearby.