British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ex-promoter Les Whaley

VSM contributor Ian Hoskins has written to us with the sad news from New Zealand...

Les Whaley died a few weeks ago in Wales, aged 93.

Les became a promoter in the l960s when he purchased Trevor Redmond's shares in the Glasgow White City promotion.

His son Brian was a rider with the Tigers. Les also opened Bradford (at Odsal) for a while when the Tigers went to Hampden Park.

Does anyone have any good memories of Les that they would like to share with forum members?

VSM contributor Ian Hoskins has written to us with the sad news from New Zealand...

Les became a promoter in the l960s when he purchased Trevor Redmond's shares in the Glasgow White City promotion.

His son Brian was a rider with the Tigers. Les also opened Bradford (at Odsal) for a while when the Tigers went to Hampden Park.

Does anyone have any good memories of Les that they would like to share with forum members?

Les was a perfect gentleman and always a man of his word.

All his business was concluded with a shake of the hand, his word was his bond.

Never heard one word against him.

Believe he was a squadron leader in the R.A.F. during the war and was highly

decorated.

He was a devoted family man, his wife and daughters names I am unable to

recall.

My thoughts are with the family.

Rest in peace Les....... Don,t make them like you anymore..

The best tribute I can pay to Les is that I don't have a single bad memory of him.

I feel that it would be difficult to find anyone in speedway who has.

Edited by Ron Butler