Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scarletrider

Should He-shouldn't He?

First let me say, I'm a big fan of Gary Havelock! But the question must be asked, should Gary have been in the pits with Scott Nicholls in Poland the night before a big meeting like the PLRC. Is it the right way to prepare for such an important meeting? Or is the PLRC "no big deal" anymore. I'd be interested in what other speedway fans think!

Guest Steve Dixon

Don't see why not if all his gear was ready to go.

Judging by the look on his face at the presentation he was gutted not to have won,so i think its a big deal to him!

First let me say, I'm a big fan of Gary Havelock!  But the question must be asked, should Gary have been in the pits with Scott Nicholls in Poland the night before a big meeting like the PLRC.  Is it the right way to prepare for such an important meeting?  Or is the PLRC "no big deal" anymore.  I'd be interested in what other speedway fans think!

Take your point but many riders are used to hopping on planes all over Europe every other day. Havvys gear was probably being looked after by his team back here anyway. It was probably easier for him to be in Nicholls pit crew than it would have been if he had been riding somewhere on the night. He seemed more than up for the PLRC in his Speedway Star interview

Would say it's no different to any other rider appearing in a meeting in another country the night before another. And he got to the Final - not as if he bummed out in the PLRC.

... even by mentioning these potential problems you are feeding him the excuses he needs. Havvy is past it, cant even see why Scotty wants him in the pit.

Witchnut

should Gary have been in the pits with Scott Nicholls in Poland the night before a big meeting like the PLRC

Can't see too much of a problem with that - now, if he'd been with Scotty the night before.............. :wink:

these guys are the worlds best travellers.i dont see any issues with been in a nother country the night before any championship. i can still remember stony winning the PLRC at coventry, the previous night he was riding in the GPS. and he came to coventry and won it. but then stony is a class rider.

:D:D

Can't see too much of a problem with that - now, if he'd been with Scotty the night before.............. :wink:

Dont get me started.

Go all that way to support a guy that is getting 'slightly merry' at 3am before a GP............. :mad:

and before being accused of speculation - The Savoy in Bydgoszcz and seen by many, so not even trying to hide from his ticket paying 'fans'.

Sorry - didnt mean to hijack the thread but it really hacked me off!! :mad:

my freind went to support the brits and at 5am they was crawling back to there rooms :P no wonder we never win any thing. proberly the best lager in the world :P

Edited by lazyrider

my freind went to support the brits and at 5am they was crawling back to there rooms :P no wonder we never win any thing. proberly the best lager in the world :P

Yep - not a good advert for British Speedway.

People will say it doesnt matter as he is guaranteed a GP spot next year but if he had worked harder at getting the 8th place then maybe he could have helped a fellow team mate to get a wildcard place next year!

God - it makes me angry, but being the loyal fan I am I will cheer him on tonight at Brandon!!!! :D

At least Havvy wasnt riding on the Saturday so would probably have recovered well enough for the Sunday meeting. :)

... even by mentioning these potential problems you are feeding him the excuses he needs. Havvy is past it, cant even see why Scotty wants him in the pit.

Witchnut

Nasty comment "Witchnut". Havelock is far from "past it" as you put it. As for feeding him with excuses, I dont think he will give a damn what your opinions of him are, probobly it will only fire him up. Unlike some, Gary has given a hell of a lot to speedway over the years, both on and off the track, maybe that is why Scotty has him in the pits at the GP's. In my original post I was merely posing the question after hearing the opinions of various different speedway fans.

A 10 plus ave. seems to me like a good seasons work, hardly a guy who's "past it".

I must admit the thought did cross my mind, about Havvy, mind you his call and I am sure he know what he is doing.

Guest Steve Dixon
Nasty comment "Witchnut".  Havelock is far from "past it" as you put it.  As for feeding him with excuses, I dont think he will give a damn what your opinions of him are, probobly it will only fire him up.  Unlike some, Gary has given a hell of a lot to speedway over the years, both on and off the track, maybe that is why Scotty has him in the pits at the GP's.  In my original post I was merely posing the question after hearing the opinions of various different speedway fans. 

A 10 plus ave. seems to me like a good seasons work, hardly a guy who's "past it".

Agree scarletrider, nasty indeed! :mad:

We saw Tony Rickardsson wasted last year at 3am, the night before the Sloveinian GP. He still went and won it.

And having seen Havelock in the pits before the Mallila GP he is definately a possitive force in the Nicholls camp.