British Speedway Forum

Nice timing boxer. Just leaving now, thanks.  Hopefully see you soon. :)

Safe journey , hope to see you there :)

Just had a call from the stadium

Meeting off!!

* I have sent a text to LW to let her know.

Edited by crazysue

Just had a call from the stadium

Meeting off!!

* I have sent a text to LW to let her know.

Thanks , sue :)

:cry:

Just when I thought I could put the brush and roller down! darn it!

and I seem to have more on me than on the walls! :lol:

Oh well, I didn't get too far before I got Sue's text. Treated us to fish and chips on the way home to cheer us up.

Thanks Sue. :)

I got to the stadium just after 4.30 - at which point there was light drizzle falling but nothing more. Half an hour or so later it started getting heavier, and at 5.30pm the decision had to be taken to call off.

There will be a meeting at Foxhall next week - keep your eye on the Witches Website for confirmation of what it will be.

Shame that the weather beat this one. Always a great spectacle to see at the seasons end. Just to answer a few questions about fuel tanks etc.

Some riders opt for the 'take a chance' fill the tank to the brim tactics. Then there are riders like Chris Louis, who developed a huge platic tank that fits neatly under the bike covers, but holds enough fuel to do two 16 lap finals. The normal fuel tank will do something like 14 or 15 laps from brim full, its great seeing those riders that 'hope' as they sling the bikes from side to side, trying to get that last drop of fuel into the carb to keep the thing running that extra lap or so(remember seeing Jason Crump doing that a few years back). In years gone by, when we had the total loss oil system, where the oil departed from the bottom of the engine onto the track, riders would add a washing up liquid bottle for extra oil, and also strap a second fuel tank to the main one, usually with duct tape or some such thing. Some riders still use that method, extra tank taped to the normal one, its all part of the fun of the event.

As for SCB's argument about Mark and his quote about never riding in anything but 4 man races again...doesn't hold up on this one. For starters, there are 16 laps to pass riders, unlike the 4 lap races of the SWC, where either a Final slot is up for grabs for your country or the Title itself. Also, riders tend to pace themselves in the 16 lapper, unlike the SWC, where its just the 4 laps to get a result. The only time that the 16 lapper has been truly dangerous, was when they ran it in Ipswichs' National League days, they had to re-run the Final about 3 times, as the eager younger riders went hell for leather at the first turn and ended up in a heap each time. After some sharp words from JL and Mike Western, they settled down and the race was completed. Other than that, the riders know that they have a long way to race and need to pace themselves. Also, as Robyn pointed out, there are the two start lines, some 20 metres apart, so the eliminates the first turn bunching scenario's. Yes there is the case that a riders packs up on the front start line, but again as Robyn rightly says, they should just stay still and let the riders from the back take avoiding action...much safer. Where riders from the front fall on the first turn, there's plenty of time for the back grid to take action to avoid the fallen rider, which is usually the case.

If you haven't seen one of these 16 lappers SCB, I suggest you go and see one, I'm not having a go at you, but it really is a sight to behold, 8 riders, 16 laps and its just amazing the buzz around the stadium at the start of the Final.

This was, I believe, introduced by the former Ipswich Flag Marshall. Paul Johnson, an inovation that has been done in Australia in the past. Arena Essex try to copy the 16 lapper with a 12 lapper, but on the mini track they have, its not even close to the Ipswich one. Even the quality of the field doesn't matter too much as people really get into the evenings racing, with their chosen favourites for the evening and the "Will they get to the Final and will they stay the course for 16 gruelling laps of speedway" attitude. Shame its not sponsored anymore either...used to be called the Daily Mirror/Weslake 16 Lapper...oh they were the days, Joe Owen, Billy Sanders, Phil Crump, John Louis......the list goes on.

Its a fitting end of season meeting and lots of fun for all of the riders and fans involved.

Edited by tomcat

There will be a meeting at Foxhall next week - keep your eye on the Witches Website for confirmation of what it will be.

Why the big secret :blink::blink:

No secret, probably just trying to sort things out plus also possibly waiting to see the outcome of the Craven Shield meeting tomorrow.

Edited by crazysue

I think it would make sense if they could hold off the re-staging of the 16 lapper until the half term holiday (the Thursday would be 26th) as this would attract a good number of families and bolster numbers for a true end of season finale.

Just a thought, probably not practical though.

Pete

Yeah good idea Pete although not for me.

Going away on the Thursday to drop the kids in Great Yarmouth with my parents so I can go to the end of season dinner dance on the Friday night.

So...is this being run Thursday now or not?? Just like to know, so I can have my last night of the season on the updates with my friends there...

Cheers TC

was told today by a witches ticket holder,are you going thursday night for the 16 lapper??? no holder though cause hes at sheffeild so i guess its thursday