British Speedway Forum

So how exactly does a 16 lapper work? I dont mean to sound niave, but I take it it isnt just 16 laps all against each other and thats it?

The 12 riders (used to be 16) take part in 12 qualifying races (used to be 16) in a normal individual meeting format. The bottom four riders after those 12 races compete in a consolation final over 6 laps (used to be 8 I think). The riders who finished 5th to 8th in the qualifying races go from the front grid in the main 16 lapper final whilst the riders placed 1st to 4th go from the back grid but with an additional 2 points given to them. The 16 lapper then takes place with the winner getting 14 points to add to his qualifying races score, second get 12, third 10 etc etc (not forgetting those off the back grid get 2 extra points). The winner is the rider with the highest combined score, not the winner of the 16 lap final.

See, it’s simple!

As for Loram riding, he may not want to ride in a meeting where 5 riders are all going for the corner side by side but in the 16 lapper final they are spread over two banks of 4 riders. By the time those on the back grid catch the front grid riders they are a bit more spread out and the danger of riders getting in each others way is far less than in a 5 man SWC race IMO.

Pete

The 12 riders (used to be 16) take part in 12 qualifying races (used to be 16) in a normal individual meeting format.  The bottom four riders after those 12 races compete in a consolation final over 6 laps (used to be 8 I think).  The riders who finished 5th to 8th in the qualifying races go from the front grid in the main 16 lapper final whilst the riders placed 1st to 4th go from the back grid but with an additional 2 points given to them.  The 16 lapper then takes place with the winner getting 14 points to add to his qualifying races score, second get 12, third 10 etc etc (not forgetting those off the back grid get 2 extra points).  The winner is the rider with the highest combined score, not the winner of the 16 lap final.

See, it’s simple!

As for Loram riding, he may not want to ride in a meeting where 5 riders are all going for the corner side by side but in the 16 lapper final they are spread over two banks of 4 riders.  By the time those on the back grid catch the front grid riders they are a bit more spread out and the danger of riders getting in each others way is far less than in a 5 man SWC race IMO. 

Pete

A very good description there! I have a video here somewhere of the 16 lapper from years ago (heck it must have been the early 80's) with Billy Sanders, Mel Taylor, Donkey etc in it!

Always a very entertaining meeting and I am pleased that Ipswich have kept this going for so long, unlike Poole's Blue Ribband which bit the dust (no pun intended) years ago!

Just wonder if the mysterious Michael Nielsen could in fact be Claus Vissing? :unsure: As i have seen a report on the Holsted site that he is over and having a few run outs,including at Ipswich

It says on the Ipswich forum that he is a 16 year old Dane, recommended by John Jorgensen.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for this meeting to go ahead, any updates before 5 will be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by London Witch

Looks like I may be carrying on with painting the hall after all!  :(

Don't give up just yet. If anyone can get a meeting on its Bob Ellis, the best trackman in the business bar none. He's got his work cut out this time though by the looks of it

It says on the Ipswich forum that he is a 16 year old Dane, recommended by John Jorgensen.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for this meeting to go ahead, any updates before 5 will be appreciated, thanks.

Its still raining LW but not really damaging rain, just drizzly stuff and its quite breezy too which could help things

Thank you Bloomy, I shall continue to think positively then.  :wink:

Chris is on Radio Suffolk at the moment. He says there has not been that much rain and the track is fine ..... at the present time.