British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolfcrazy

speedway. the future.

I think that BSI have raised the profile of the sport by a long way. However, I do think BSI are beginning to lose the plot a little. The British GP has now almost become "middle class" and more in tune with the prawn sandwich brigade. The absurd admission prices this year and the geographical location of Cardiff (not to mention the ridiculous prices of the hotels), mean that the "working class" (or your average Speedway supporter in the street) can not even consider going. This is reflected in the falling attendances.

I think that BSI have raised the profile of the sport by a long way. However, I do think BSI are beginning to lose the plot a little. The British GP has now almost become "middle class" and more in tune with the prawn sandwich brigade. The absurd admission prices this year and the geographical location of Cardiff (not to mention the ridiculous prices of the hotels), mean that the "working class" (or your average Speedway supporter in the street) can not even consider going. This is reflected in the falling attendances.

Dont think I agree brother !

Where do you suggest we hold the GP then :?

Guest Lars

1) Get rid of the play offs. The league titles are played off for every week of the season without extra meetings at the end of a season. Take last years Elite League, Eastbourne were far and away the best team in the league only to be robbed by the play off system. The previous year was even more stupid when a qualification deadline had to be set due to so many postponed meetings and if results had been different we could have had a team win the play offs who when all the "normal" league meetings were finished did not finish in a play off qualifying position.

2) No more meaningless competitions. BLC, need I say more.

3) If we must have the GP's then please no more temporary tracks, the racing is crap and no sort of advertisement for our sport.

4) We must recognise that promoters can not continue if they are loosing money, therefore costs must be cut. If that means a GP rider limit or even a total ban, then so be it.

5) As has been said on other forums, riders must demonstrate the ability to lay the bike down before being granted a licence, there are too many "rich kids" on expensive equipment who cant lay the bike down when needed. If proof is needed just look at the number of injuries this year.

6) An equalisation of the number of teams in the EL & PL, as a KL supporter I got totally fed up of watching the same teams over and over again in the EL, and other EL fans must want more variety.

7) Promotion and relegation-a MUST!

8) One totally neutral governing body. Paid for by all promotions, but not a forum where promoters could be accused of favouring there own interests

I was a sceptic about this competition and while is has not been hugely succesful I believe it has a part to play. The introduction of several riders has been a huge boost for some tracks. I for one and glad that this competition has given us at Oxford the chance to see Lubos Tomicek at 17 riding for us. It may not have been perfect for the PL tracks but with some refinement could be a good base to build on

Excellent Lars :approve:

Promotion and relegation was tried in the early 90's, but it wasn't a success and the idea was dropped after a couple of years. I seem to recall Swindon finishing bottom one year, but no Division Two team wanted to be promoted, so Swindon stayed in the top flight. A lot of Premier League clubs don't have the finances to be able to compete in the Elite League, that is why there are so many clubs in the PL.

Like Chris Brown I think this competition could well have some merit but only if the rules are set out at the start to provide both EL and PL clubs with reasonably equal chances and more importantly those rules must be stuck to. Unfortunately the whole comp has been brought into disrepute this season with the constant dispensations and bias towards some EL clubs. I know I'm not the only fan who treats the whole Bloody Loopy Cup with contempt for this reason.

I think Swindon were relegated twice. The first time they managed to get out of it - I'm not sure how, butit may have been because certain tracks closed and there needed to be an evening up of the leagues. The second time, I think they were relegated and replaced by Arena Essex, though the old memory is a bit fuzzy on this. The whole thing was a complete disaster though.

Another thing with promotion/relegation, which I believe has been touched on before, is that you cannot have that and a points limit, otherwise you could find a situation where strong teams are relegated while their own assets are riding for other teams through no fault of their own.

Lars,

Re last seasons play-off's and your comment that Eastbourne were far and away the best team. The league table said Eastbourne drew ONE more match than Wolves, that is all, hardly a vast difference I would say.

any predictions?

where can you see speedway being in the next 5 years?

I know that I didn't expect to see it where it is now 5 years ago.

Danny King ban - 97 replies

Speedway, the future - 4 replies.

I think we're floggin a dead horse on this forum wolfcrazy.

I tried a couple of detailed posts, with solutions, on this subject and asked what people thought. - 0 replies.

Conclusion? Members are more interested in trivia and negativity than the future of the sport :-(

Anybody disagree?

I think you'll find PL fans may not have seen this thread in the EL forum.

Conclusion? The new section will solicit more response :)

1) Get rid of the play offs.

But bring back the Young Shield. That gave the teams in the middle realistic targets after poor starts.

If so, bring back the Premier Trophy. The local derbies are good to open up the season

3) If we must have the GP's then please no more temporary tracks, the racing is crap and no sort of advertisement for our sport.

No way this can happen. 36,000 people were at Cardiff last year; that's more than 5 times the number that stood at Coventry in the cold in 2000.

No. It would be a financial disaster. If teams want to race in the EL then move their on their own accord. Look at the trouble happening in Sweden and Poland with their finances. This would develop British young riders, as when in trouble promoters would just look overseas.

No. It would be a financial disaster. If teams want to race in the EL then move their on their own accord. Look at the trouble happening in Sweden and Poland with their finances. This would develop British young riders, as when in trouble promoters would just look overseas.

The EL, Swedish and Polish leagues could probably overcome their problems at a stroke if they agreed that riders could only ride for one European club. This would not only cut their costs but create more teamplaces for youngsters.

The EL, Swedish and Polish leagues could probably overcome their problems at a stroke if they agreed that riders could only ride for one European club. This would not only cut their costs but create more teamplaces for youngsters.

I am so much in favour of that although I realise to make it viable we'd need each league to have more fixtures.

IMHO supportes want to see continuity of their team and they want to bond with riders, this is so hard to do with the current merry go round in the winter and guesting arrangements.

If this aspect could be improved I'm sure fans becoming more involved quicker will help to increase attendances.

Surely this will only increase costs?

Crumpy currently earns X in the UK, X in Poland and X in Sweden, if he can only ride in one country, he will want 3X from the promotion.

I would think that wouldn't be the case.

My hope would be that, in the above example, Crumpie would save all the time and expense of travelling abroad, at least so often, and be provided with increased meetings in the UK to compensate.

SCB,

You may wish to read my posts under European Club Championship -

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forum/view...opic.php?t=3294

I've copied a couple of sections here -

So how does it reduce costs?

Because riders can only ride for one team in such a competition. They would reduce their travelling, machinery, workshop and support costs, but, when it takes off, the spinoffs should be enormous.

The promoters don't have to spend enormous amounts hiring 2 or more GP riders to stay competitive and some PL teams may, in this new environment, like to take up the opportunity to ride in a higher league

Hopefully the EL would be too big to be run on the present basis leaving some dates for the return of the prestigious individual meetings such as the Olymique, Brandonapolis and even the Internationale. After all, the GP riders will have some time on their hands, only riding for one club. Now would Channel 4 or 5 be interested in those?