British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolfcrazy

speedway. the future.

any predictions?

where can you see speedway being in the next 5 years?

I know that I didn't expect to see it where it is now 5 years ago.

Guest RacerniX

When, I first discovered British Speedway in 1992. The sport was in a very bad state. Tracks closed down almost every week, there was no TV coverage and also no media coverage. Gary Havelock won his world title at the beginning of september 1992 but it took until april until he appeared on the BBC in ... a question of sport.

So if you look were the sport is standing now. It's definitely a lot better. If you can get the right people aboard to govern and control the sport. It could go massive. I'm 100/ convinced of that. Of all forms of motorcycleracing speedway has the best concept. And with the coming of the japanese 4-Stroke MX engines things could take off in an upward direction. Engine costs could go down with massproduction engines. So the sport would become affordable. One thing the sport should introduce is a European cup with British, Swedish, Danish, German and Polish (Maybe also Czech, Hungarian and Italian and why not French?) battling it out for a speedway equivalent of the champions League.

Slight Problem. Riders do not only ride at 1 club or 1 country. I think that why not. :D:D:D:D:D:D

As far as the GP's go, there seems to be a problem with the depth of quality.

There are too many riders in the GP's that don't warrant being there and are totally outclassed.

Last nite there was a 40yr old Hungarian riding, surely there must be better riders around to make up for wildcards/injuries!

As a result the racing is poor because the standard is so vast. The racing in the second half last nite was excellent, obviously the track was poor first half but surely having all 4 riders half a straight apart from each other suggests some are out of their depth.

I understand riders need to be put in there to gain experience and to attract a home crowd, but for the future of the sport surely the riders who are closest to competing in the GP next season should be put on wildcards as they are the ones who need the experience. ie. the riders that are winning the international competitions/u21 runds etc.

The gap between the top 12 or so is only going to widen unless the next lot of upcoming riders get there chance.

There are some great riders coming through who surely deserve a chance, such as, Shields/Bjerre/NK Iversen/Janniro/Harris + others from the continent.

When they have thrown in riders who clearly have potential. ie. Zagar, Bajerski etc. they have done very well and you get the impression that they will only benefit from the experience.

Look at the 24 riders in the GP and it's safe to say they are not the best 24 riders in the world.

The BSPA are currently paying someone £500 a day - yes a day, and they have done this since before the start of the season - to promote the sport better. I would have to say they are not getting a very good return for their money. A typical failing is the Sky promos for the Elite League this season, some riders have their clubs colours on, some look like they been dragged through a hedge backwards - surely this guy had some input into this? I could go on (and on), but until Speedway's hierachy start looking at the sport as a whole and not just their own clubs interests, then it will never progress quickly.

Don't even get me started on the Sky money, Eastbourne and Terry Russell!

any predictions?

where can you see speedway being in the next 5 years?

I know that I didn't expect to see it where it is now 5 years ago.

Danny King ban - 97 replies

Speedway, the future - 4 replies.

I think we're floggin a dead horse on this forum wolfcrazy.

I tried a couple of detailed posts, with solutions, on this subject and asked what people thought. - 0 replies.

Conclusion? Members are more interested in trivia and negativity than the future of the sport :-(

Anybody disagree?

[Danny King ban - 97 replies

Speedway, the future - 4 replies.

I think we're floggin a dead horse on this forum wolfcrazy.

I tried a couple of detailed posts, with solutions, on this subject and asked what people thought. - 0 replies.

Conclusion? Members are more interested in trivia and negativity than the future of the sport  :-(

Anybody disagree?

yeah but its easier to comment and add to trivia, than to sit down and consider replies. Dont give up cos the majority dont wanna know - where would mankind be if we adopted that attitude ??

It was interesting to read in one of the 'History' forums/topics that crowds of 25,000 were not uncommon at local tracks. So maybe the answer to the future is finding out what went wrong in the past.

Looking at the success of both football and rugby in the last decade, for me the major factors for those sports has been the improved facilities, and the desire to weed out unruly elements (not required at rugby - theyre all on the pitch !!). A quick recall of football in the 70's were decrepit stadia, football violence and general disregard of the spectators.

Having recently returned to speedway, it seems that funding is an issue and the facilities are variable depending on track. A dingy old track with post war facilities suggests to the visitor a sport thats on it knees. Ive only been to Coventry and Wolves this year and the facilities vary quite a lot between those tracks.

I think the challenge is to get the sport publicised more, try to encourage the kids to want to try it - maybe riders visiting schools, kids for a quid, reduced family rates for particular meetings etc. I cant comment on any clubs ability to advertise locally cos I dont live close to any tracks

I went to the Briggs summer bash at Brandon last summer and it was a great family event which included speedway, and it was enough for my kids to want to go back.. maybe this is a way of getting people over to the track.

Im sure there must be a topic somewhere about peoples first meeting, and how it gripped them from there - the challenge is to get people in, and let the sport grip them when they are there.

Cheers, Paul

yeah but its easier to comment and add to trivia, than to sit down and consider replies. Dont give up cos the majority dont wanna know - where would mankind be if we adopted that attitude ??

Please don't take the lack of replies to mean people don't want to know or a lack of interest in the sport's future...if you have a look back at the forum archives you will see a whole stream of threads throughout the months in a similar vein (usually most prevalent during the close season) which I and a lot of other forum members have contributed to over time.

I still read the threads like this one to see newer members points of view or a new slant on things, but having previously posted my thoughts and with nothing new to say don't feel it worth repeating myself. I'm sure there are other forum members who do the same. Wait til conference time and the threads and replies that generate around that - then you'll see the trivia left behind and some real fun start! 8)

I think the sport is on the right tracks at the moment. Things are getting better and I know it's tough not to get impatient but they should continue in the same vain as far as I can see.

Sky don't look like dropping the sport, although I would like to know what the deal is with Eastbourne, is it cuz their race night is a Monday?

If the BSPA could entice the tabloids back into covering the sport I think that would make heaps of difference. Back in the 70's and 80's the Daily Mirror was a BIG BIG BIG sponsor of speedway and it is no coincidence that the sport lost alot of fans when they stopped sponsoring it. I heard that there were some tabloid journo's at Wimbledon for the U21's ..... that's encouraging.

With the Brit GP getting bigger each year I think speedway is in the best position it has ever been in. I too recall the dark days of the early 90's when tracks were closing and TV coverage was nowhere.

I would imagine that should Sky ever wish to give up their rights to covering the sport ITV or the BBC would jump at the chance to fill the short fall, if only on a regional level to start with.

The image of the sport has changed considerably since the early 90's. I was at the FTT in Peterborough one year when the BSPA announced a new drive to improve the sports image. They had Rusty Lee as a "celebrity guest" walking around acting all happy. I nearly died from cringing.

Now, compare that to the fast, cool and slick image of the GP's. No contest and no worry that the image is once again back up there.

Leggy.

I just can not come up with any ideas at the moment. :?

We have tried a few things e.g only 1+ gp riders and it sort of did not work.

Not sure what else there is left.

A lot of fans understandably get quite tribal and want trophies whatever the consequences. There is an irony in having an 8 team league for 6 months to decide the top 4.

PL teams cite high costs as do those EL teams that appear to be struggling.

Costs need to be reduced; having two or three GP riders at each top EL track must be expensive.

What sells our sport is the excitement of competition. We have 3 leagues at present at different levels. surely there must be overlap between many PL and EL teams in terms of support and facilities. As a Wolves fan some of the best racing seen this year has been PL. The worst, in terms of close and exciting racing has been GP.

We need a bigger top league with lower costs. This means EL teams losing one or two top riders for the good of british speedway. Not all PL clubs want to move up but if the financial incentive is attractive then enough will.

A huge stumbling block will be the usual one: promoters wanting to put themselves at an advantage over others. This time difficult decisions must be taken. The EL is dying. The PL seems to be thriving. Why? Money is the answer and must provide the way forward. If it costs little more to run an EL team than a PL team then there will be a greater willingness to compete with the likes of Coventry, Poole, Eastbourne and Wolves.

A bigger league with the same riders spread among more teams would allow SKY to visit more tracks around the country. Their coverage has revived interest in our sport and coverage of many more tracks could only do good.

Having lost Wolves speedway once, and missing terribly the intense rivalry with Cradley and even birmingham, we need to look beyond our own team's next meeting and see the bigger picture.

I'm a new, but total convert. I don't know the history ofit, but I'm not wieghed down by it either.

1 - Its a superb product. The design of speedway as a team sport is just fantastic. I've been going less than a year but took a friend to Eagles v Wolves last night and found I knew plenty about the way it works, how the heats are organised. Its almost perfect (R/R and guests aside). Get people down, and they will come back.

2 - Sky's coverage is brilliant. I know everyone moans about it, but as a semi-pro cameraman I can tell you they really go for it. And all this for a sport that gets postponed with a very little rain. The Premier League bleating about it is just pathetic.

3 - The sport must, as an absolute priority, get back into the tabloids, and the mainstream TV and radio. You have to present the stars of the sport (whether its panto-villain Pederson or squeaky clean Nicholls).

4 - We have to have promotion and relegation. It worked for rugby and cricket and its something people understand.

5 - I'm an Eagles fan. But I think if you lose a rider to a GP, you should only be able to have a guest from the PL. Its not perfect, buts its better than the present system.

6 - The sport has to get bikers (notoriously fervent sports supporters) into tracks. I saw one promoter was letting in anyone with a crash helmet free the other night. Good idea! Its an absolute must to get bikers back.

7 - Heres why. Manufacturers sponsorships. If GB wants to raise its sights then it must become easier and more affordable. We need the Hondas and Suzukis, Ducatis and BMW's in the sport. There is no reason why speedway shouldn't be in a similar position to rallying or super-bikes.

8 - I would like to see more internationals. It captures peoples imagination and raises everyones game.

But overall its a great sport and I think one thats on the up. As a lifelong football fan sick of watching overpaid untalented prats, its been an absolute revelation to disciver a sport full of passion and commitment, mainly done for love of the sport.

I'm a new, but total convert.  I don't know the history ofit, but I'm not wieghed down by it either.  

6 - The sport has to get bikers (notoriously fervent sports supporters) into tracks.  I saw one promoter was letting in anyone with a crash helmet free the other night.  Good idea!  Its an absolute must to get bikers back.

point 1 Agree, but i do feel that local promotion has to be improved !

point 2 Agree, However I do feel the Premier league is a better product at present !

point 3 Agree, A must :approve:

point 4 Agree ,A must :approve:

point 5 not shure about that :?

point 6 Not a Biker are we bob :?: got any old tin lids you dont want :!: :? ;)

point 7 Do not agree im afraid could turn into a circus !. It's mainly a team sport lets keep it like that !

point 8 Again agree !

Thanks guys, for the replies.

I understand that some of you may have done the topic to death in the past and also understand your reluctance to reply again but us relative newcomers could become a little disheartened when we get no replies.

Phil, as we have a 'years gone by' section, would it be in order to ask for a 'years to come' section while the sport goes through this hairy but exciting period. It would make it easier for some of us to find the 'future' threads and perhaps reduce repetitive ones.........only a thought.

I know this would be a more popular winter topic but feel we would have more influence over future decisions if we discussed it before the BSPA and others made them. I know a few influential people read the threads so reasoned discussions during the latter stages of the season would probably have more effect especially with BSI, SKY, C4 (excellent work guys) and others who will already be planning their activities for next year. Let's not tinker with with this. let's go for it. If you want a taste of what I'm on about, read my and others threads on European Club speedway.

To the 'it wont make any difference' fraternity I can only say it's no good 'voting the day after the election'.

Where did the crowds of 25,000 disappear to?

Apparently the introduction of an entertainment tax in the early 50’s hit the sport hard. Many tracks closed. Then along came tele in a big way. I’m not sure why this seemed to affect speedway more than other sports but may go some way to explaining why we rarely see attendance figures quoted nowadays ;-)