British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbo

Somerton Park - Newport Speedway 1964-1977

Hey!,As you all probably know I support the Newport Wasps and am 15 years of age.Before my time the Newport Wasps rode at Somerton Park in the 'old era' in between 64 & 77.Aas I have just set up my own website I would be grateful if people could pass on their thoughts about Somerton and did they have any famous riders in the team (Phill Crump & Niels Street I know).I would also like some pics if anyone has any becasue it is going to be a page dedicated to Somerton Park.I have only been to Somerton a couple of times when I was younger to watch NEWPORT COUNTY before it shut down in 1993. :-(

Many Thanks

Robbo :D

http://mysite.freeserve.com/NewportWaspsSpeedway

Somerton Park was probably the most hated track ever, by the riders I mean. It was virtually square and left absolutely no room for overtaking. A few riders were known to duck meetings there, most notably Peter Collins who ducked a league match there in 1976 with the excuse of a car breakdown, although he later admitted to never leaving home. Malcolm Simmons also lost his chance of winning a Daily Mirror Grand Prix Series by refusing to compete in his qualifying round at Somerton Park. Your right that it closed its doors to speedway at the end of 1977 but top flight speedway ceased at the end of 1976 when the license was transferred to Bristol, a track which also received scathing criticism from the riders, the most notable being Dave Jessup who walked out of a meeting there. Bristols problems though were to do with the track surface, which was a combined speedway/dog track and not its shape

I have one of Peter Collins' old books and he openly admits he didn't go to Somerton Park because he was scared to ride it. It was the day after Tommy Jansson was killed.

I never went to Somerton Park, but I remember Newport coming to Swindon in about 76/77 and giving the Robins a right beating. Afterwards, about 500 Newport fans marched round the greyhound track with flags, singing and gloating.

Yes, I have some memories of Somerton Park, I think it was my first away match (even before Cradley!) and went on the coach.

Yes, it was very square and gave the home riders a big advantage. One of riders, George Hunter (RIP) infamously never did anything there or at Exeter. So we called that the the southern version of the Bermudan triangle for George. There were a few occasions when he didn't turn up to either place, or if he did he would come out of the gate, turn the throttle off and tootle round at the back.

One unpleasant memory is of another coach journey there. Following some verbal 'exchanges' between the fans, the back window of the coach was put through with a brick and we had to come all the back with the wind howling through the coach!

Cheers,don't look like it was popular place for riders!,it was square because their was a football pitch in the middle!.

Keep em coming please :D

Just drop me an e-mail :D ,just click e-mail on my profile.

thanks

robbo

Sorry to have to agree that Somerton Park was a terrible shape and track for visitors... Ron Mountford 1968 Broke a thigh very badly and didn't comeback til 1970 when he was only a shadow of his former self. I recall trips there every year and we all wondered not whether we'd get a result or not, but whether we would get all 7 riders back un-injured.

Never been to your new track... But it has to be better.

:)

I remember Newport having the biggest crowds in the country for many

years. Only went once on a bank holiday in the middle sixties. This was

before motorways and the trip from Newcastle took about 12 hours.

And yes we were well beaten!

Another memory from a friend of mine. He was there for a Wolves match. I think our two riders got out and were leading. Phil Crump was in the race and it was amazing to be beating him, as he was a top rider. Entering the third lap, the Newport fans stared cheering, clapping and saying well-done Phil! My mate wondered what the heck was going on. Suddenly Crumpie seemed to become rocket powered and shot past our two riders as if they were standing still and beat them comfortably! He must have been bored winning from the gate! Apparently he was really awesome around Newport. Some of his other exploits included riding up the fence at Halifax wall of death style!

I wonder if that was at the time when he and Neil Street were the only two riders using the 4 valves. They both seemed able to win at will for a while as nobody could touch them as they had so much more power than anyone.

I think Crumpie was top of the averages that year, though Neil's average began to drop a bit once other riders started using them too!

Probably about the time I made my one and only visit. The highlight was a pub near the track where we spent a few happy hours. Newport beat Wolve about 52-26.

I remember the 4 valve controversy! Remember the Golden Helmet matchraces between Olsen and Crump. Went all the way to King's Lynn for the decider.

Thanks for info and memories guys and girls :P hopefully gonna add the page to my website over the weekend,anyone got photos?.

Btw was the pub you were in called THE KING,which is just other the bridge?.BTW if you all wanna know inplace of Somerton Pak is houses :cry::cry::cry: ,not fair :evil:

Can't remember the name of the pub but do remember playing pool.